Where Are the T14@StickerDebt Failures? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
pricon

Bronze

Where Are the T14@StickerDebt Failures?

Post by pricon » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:38 pm

It seems like no one online is representing this group of people, those who go to T14@Sticker at do not get a job allowing them to manage their debt. We need these people to chime in and make this outcome more than an abstract possibility.
Last edited by pricon on Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cavalier1138

Re: Where Are the T14@Sticker Failures?

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:11 pm

I mean, it's a possibility, but most students at the T13 do not have to face that reality. You're also talking about a very specific subset of people who pay sticker; not everyone takes out debt when they pay sticker price for law school, especially when you're talking about an elite tier of schools more likely to have a large percentage of rich kids.

pricon

Bronze

Post by pricon » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:27 pm

Yeah, I might be talking about the overlap between the 5–15% of students taking out sticker debt and the 10% of students who fail to get a good career started. Maybe that is only like 1-3 people in each graduating class of the top 10? Yet, I still read references to these people. These people's friends come online and say, "I know someone who . . . ." But I can only find references to them, never them speaking out themselves. I have looked in a few different places (TLS, JDU, CC, etc.).

It's a survival story, and it must happen to a dozen people a year. The legal community could benefit from some of their testimonies, unfortunate as they might be.
Last edited by pricon on Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheBlueDevil

New

Post by TheBlueDevil » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:34 pm

pricon wrote:Yeah, I might be talking about the overlap between the 5–15% of students taking out sticker debt and the 10% of students who fail to get a good career started. Maybe that is only like 1-3 people in each graduating class of the top 10? Yet, I still read references to these people. These people's friends come online and say, "I know someone who . . . ." But I can only find references to them, never them speaking out themselves. I have looked in a few different places (TLS, JDU, CC, etc.).
People in these unfortunate situations may not want to come forward and discuss their situations on an online forum.

acr

Silver

Post by acr » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:35 pm

TheBlueDevil wrote:
pricon wrote:Yeah, I might be talking about the overlap between the 5–15% of students taking out sticker debt and the 10% of students who fail to get a good career started. Maybe that is only like 1-3 people in each graduating class of the top 10? Yet, I still read references to these people. These people's friends come online and say, "I know someone who . . . ." But I can only find references to them, never them speaking out themselves. I have looked in a few different places (TLS, JDU, CC, etc.).
People in these unfortunate situations may not want to come forward and discuss their situations on an online forum.
This. This is why people feel like everyone has an offer except them sometimes. People who have exciting news in general or are in a good position (like receiving an offer) are much more vocal about it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pricon

Bronze

Re: Where Are the T14@StickerDebt Failures?

Post by pricon » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:35 pm

I suppose. I've seen some pretty horrendous testimonies from some of life's most unfortunate people online, though. Of course, they are from much larger groups and thus are more represented, but still.

pricon

Bronze

Post by pricon » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:37 pm

acr wrote:
TheBlueDevil wrote:
This. This is why people feel like everyone has an offer except them sometimes. People who have exciting news in general or are in a good position (like receiving an offer) are much more vocal about it.
The social media generation can lack some awareness about their place among their peers if they are not careful about how they interpret their news feeds.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”