Project Finance Law -- What's the work like? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
All_questions_no_ans

New

Project Finance Law -- What's the work like?

Post by All_questions_no_ans » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:09 pm

General Questions: What is the work like (i.e., how comparable is it to other BL transaction work)? Is project finance law interesting?

Sub-questions: Is PF law a reasonable goal on the basis of which to embark on a JD or a JD/MBA (at T14 schools)?

Employment & Education: Currently two years out of UG working in consulting for a Big 4 firm for a sub-practice that specializes in the management, planning, and business strategy for large capital projects (i.e. construction projects). I'm a civil engineer by training, so the topic matter is comfortable, and it's also the some of the same sort of material that PF law chews up and spits out.

Why am I even thinking about law? I enjoy some of the analysis of my current work, but on the whole it's generic work that anyone's uncle can do. I've been interested in law for a awhile, and I love the idea of becoming an expert in a field, however arcane, and ideally one that builds on some experience I already have (i.e., development of large projects). PF law seems to weave these pieces together, but I just don't know enough about the field to speak intelligently to any decisions to attend law school.

ionic

New

Re: Project Finance Law -- What's the work like?

Post by ionic » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:58 pm

Hey! I'm also considering project finance. I've been reaching out to different attorneys in the field and that's been pretty insightful. At the same time, I feel it'll be a plunge into the unknown regardless.

Here's a link to an overview from one of the attorneys I spoke with. http://digital.milbank.com/i/226542-a-l ... ct-finance

Hope this helps.

All_questions_no_ans

New

Re: Project Finance Law -- What's the work like?

Post by All_questions_no_ans » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:31 pm

Thanks for the link, ionic.

Since you've got a bit of a head start in the research, would you mind providing some details on what you (and others you've talked with) think of PF as a legal space?

'ppreciate it.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”