Working during lAw school...UGA Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Embrooketurner

New

Working during lAw school...UGA

Post by Embrooketurner » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:07 pm

I was hoping that maybe a current student could help me out with a question I have. I was hoping to hear from UGA law students who are still working. I'm hoping I could manage a part time work schedule as a real estate agent. I was wondering, generally, how the school schedule typically goes? Is it an all day, every day Monday-Friday affair as far as classes go? Maybe it's fairly the same at other schools so feel free to chime in. I appreciate it.

cavalier1138

Re: Working during lAw school...UGA

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:44 pm

1L is pretty much the same everywhere, so you don't need a UGA student/alum to answer this.

I really doubt that you will be able to work any amount of time as a real estate agent during law school. Real estate (at least in my limited understanding) requires a fair amount of commitment and brainpower. You will simply be too busy with classes and studying to devote time to any kind of complex job. People who do work during law school tend to work very low-intensity jobs for very few hours.

At the very least, you should not plan on working your first semester. Your 1L grades are career-defining (no, I'm not exaggerating), and you will need time to figure out your law school routine. If you really feel like you can handle adding a part-time job after your first semester, then go for it. But like I said, I highly doubt that anyone could do something like real estate as a full-time student.

BottomOfTotem

New

Re: Working during lAw school...UGA

Post by BottomOfTotem » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:52 pm

As the poster above alluded to, it really depends on what you want in terms of a career. If you are looking for a prestigious, high paying position, I would strongly advise against working. Echoing, grades are the most important thing. And as someone who worked part time, and not in a demanding position, it was very difficult. While I was fortunate enough to do well, I'll admit that it wasn't probably the best idea.

Of course, if the real estate position has something to do with your career post law school, the evaluation shanges somewhat. But even if it does, grades are forever and your first job most likely isn't. So working out an arrangement where you don't need to work, yet commit to the real estate position still, would probably be your best bet.

Feel free to pm me if you have specific questions about juggling 1L and work and or life.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”