How did you pick corporate vs. litigation and/or your practice area of interest? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
poliksa

New

How did you pick corporate vs. litigation and/or your practice area of interest?

Post by poliksa » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:23 pm

I'm an incoming 1L at a T14 this fall trying to figure out what I want to do. I'd love to hear from current students/grads how they went about deciding corporate vs. litigation, what practice areas you wanted to focus on, etc. Thanks!

patrick248

New

Re: How did you pick corporate vs. litigation and/or your practice area of interest?

Post by patrick248 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:39 pm

It is way too early to worry about that. Concentrate on your grades and then choose your electives in 3L. Get a summer internship for experience and then possibly clerk for a judge if your grades are good enough.

Joscellin

Gold

Re: How did you pick corporate vs. litigation and/or your practice area of interest?

Post by Joscellin » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:02 am

poliksa wrote:I'm an incoming 1L at a T14 this fall trying to figure out what I want to do. I'd love to hear from current students/grads how they went about deciding corporate vs. litigation, what practice areas you wanted to focus on, etc. Thanks!
Unless you have some prior legal experience, there is no real way for you to know or easily find out which of the big branches (corp v. lit) you want to do eventually. Even entering 2L summer at a firm, most people don't *really* know (though they may have some leaning at that point). Very few firms will expect you to commit to anything before having a chance to see what it's like, though.

As the other person mentioned, it's also way too early to worry about this. So chill and enjoy 1L. Focus on those grades.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”