Current List of 1L SAs Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
throwaway2016gjdm

New

Current List of 1L SAs

Post by throwaway2016gjdm » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:03 pm

Is there a list of programs or do I have to scattershot search my way through the Internet?

RaceJudicata

Gold

Re: Current List of 1L SAs

Post by RaceJudicata » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:00 pm

throwaway2016gjdm wrote:Is there a list of programs or do I have to scattershot search my way through the Internet?
Bit early to be worried about this, no?

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:27 pm

throwaway2016gjdm wrote:Is there a list of programs or do I have to scattershot search my way through the Internet?
Pick your desired markets, then search the nalp directory for that market to see their 1L SAs profile by profile.

If you're enrolling this fall, you could also get info of firms that have hired 1Ls from your school in the recent past.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:32 pm

^ yes, all correct. But seriously, don't even think about this until late november. Worry about grades first. And more importantly, enjoy what is left of summer.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:56 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:^ yes, all correct. But seriously, don't even think about this until late november. Worry about grades first. And more importantly, enjoy what is left of summer.
100% agree, fwiw.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

throwaway2016gjdm

New

Post by throwaway2016gjdm » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:10 pm

UVA2B wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:^ yes, all correct. But seriously, don't even think about this until late november. Worry about grades first. And more importantly, enjoy what is left of summer.
100% agree, fwiw.

Thanks for the heads up! It's not a lot of work. Rather do it now, get my stuff ready, and forget about it until Dec 1, then send it off. That way I'll focus on 1L without that in the back of my mind.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:14 pm

throwaway2016gjdm wrote:
UVA2B wrote:
100% agree, fwiw.

Thanks for the heads up! It's not a lot of work. Rather do it now, get my stuff ready, and forget about it until Dec 1, then send it off. That way I'll focus on 1L without that in the back of my mind.
Respectfully, it won't happen that way, even if you want it to be that way. You won't have a tailor-made list of firms who might hire you when December rolls around that will mean much of anything. When you do the research I've mentioned, you'll notice even major markets will be taking small groups of 1Ls, and when you dispose of confirmation bias, you'll realize getting a 1L SA is more luck and chance than it is planning and foresight.

throwaway2016gjdm

New

Post by throwaway2016gjdm » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:27 pm

UVA2B wrote:
throwaway2016gjdm wrote:
UVA2B wrote:
100% agree, fwiw.

Respectfully, it won't happen that way, even if you want it to be that way. You won't have a tailor-made list of firms who might hire you when December rolls around that will mean much of anything. When you do the research I've mentioned, you'll notice even major markets will be taking small groups of 1Ls, and when you dispose of confirmation bias, you'll realize getting a 1L SA is more luck and chance than it is planning and foresight.
lol. You think I don't know chances are slim? A few hours wasted won't kill me. And shouldn't you be out and about boozing up?

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:30 pm

throwaway2016gjdm wrote:
UVA2B wrote:
throwaway2016gjdm wrote:
UVA2B wrote:
100% agree, fwiw.

lol. You think I don't know chances are slim? A few hours wasted won't kill me. And shouldn't you be out and about boozing up?
Ok, I'm done being at all helpful. I'll go back to boozing it up while you rely on others to help you. Good luck.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

throwaway2016gjdm

New

Post by throwaway2016gjdm » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:46 pm

UVA2B wrote:
throwaway2016gjdm wrote:
UVA2B wrote:
throwaway2016gjdm wrote:
UVA2B wrote:
100% agree, fwiw.

Ok, I'm done being at all helpful. I'll go back to boozing it up while you rely on others to help you. Good luck.
Don't get so butthurt buddeh. Lighten up :D

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:04 pm

throwaway2016gjdm wrote:
UVA2B wrote:
throwaway2016gjdm wrote:
UVA2B wrote:
throwaway2016gjdm wrote:
UVA2B wrote:
100% agree, fwiw.

Don't get so butthurt buddeh. Lighten up :D
I'm not in the least affected by your flippant dismissal. You don't seem to want actual advice based on experience in going through 1L and searching for 1L jobs that keeps you grounded in reality. Instead, you seem to want others to provide you with some research tool where you can find all of the 1L SAs in the country and how to go about getting them. That doesn't exist. 1L hiring is a bunch of guess work, pedigree, and luck. The reason most firms only toy with 1L SAs is because they have the freedom to do so knowing the fall will result in a massive influx of candidates that will fit their needs. Even people who nail down 1L SAs won't be guaranteed a position in their 1L firm (even though most big firms will offer 1L SAs out of process).

If you want actual helpful advice on how to approach the 1L job search, stop being a jerk when people provide advice. Otherwise accept that you don't want advice, and subsequently stop asking for it.

(FWIW, I'm someone who got a 1L SA and went through those hoops while watching numerous classmates strike out in the private sector for 1L. Take that for what you will)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”