Summer 1L/2L internships with a family Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
jensejer

New

Summer 1L/2L internships with a family

Post by jensejer » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:33 pm

I'm looking to enter law school having both a wife and less than year old child. It occurs to me that my choice to have a family will potentially limit my options for summer internships outside a reasonable drive/transit to and from. Has anyone faced this situation, and how did you balance the calculus of opportunity and obligation to your family? Has anyone lived long distance for a summer, and how did that work financially and LDR wise? Did you mitigate this by factoring it into your choice of schools, and which school did you land upon?

Mullens

Silver

Re: Summer 1L/2L internships with a family

Post by Mullens » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:12 pm

jensejer wrote:I'm looking to enter law school having both a wife and less than year old child. It occurs to me that my choice to have a family will potentially limit my options for summer internships outside a reasonable drive/transit to and from. Has anyone faced this situation, and how did you balance the calculus of opportunity and obligation to your family? Has anyone lived long distance for a summer, and how did that work financially and LDR wise? Did you mitigate this by factoring it into your choice of schools, and which school did you land upon?
Best thing to do is to go to school in the market where you want to work post-grad so that you're in a decent sized legal market and you don't have to separate from your family. This isn't always the best option for school rank/scholarships but most decent sized markets have a couple of school options so this could be an option.

I also know people who did LDRs for all of law school and went home for the summer or did summers away from family. They balanced it by trying to travel back and forth as much as feasible.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”