Can my school revoke my acceptance Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Mackgal

Bronze

Can my school revoke my acceptance

Post by Mackgal » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:51 pm

I graduated from undergrad, and then decided to do an open enrolment masters program while applying to law school. I applied, got accepted and paid my deposit. A month or so after paying my deposit I was working on a paper with a friend and ended up verbatim plagiarizing her by mistake (I know plagiarism is a big deal, I'm not excusing my actions. I should have been more careful, and it was a HUGE learning experience, etc.)

The school charged me with verbatim plagiarism. I recently found out that you have a 'continuing duty to report' to your law school. So I guess I have a few concerns 1) can/will my law school revoke my acceptance 2) will they take back my scholarship 3) will I be able to pass the character and fitness test of the bar?

barkschool

Silver

Re: Can my school revoke my acceptance

Post by barkschool » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:54 pm

By mistake?

You should update the school. Yes they can revoke.

crumb cake

Bronze

Post by crumb cake » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:52 pm

C&F does take this stuff seriously, and I can't speak to whether this would be a complete block. But one thing is for certain: If you don't disclose this to the law schools that accepted you, there is no way you will pass C&F. So that's a good first step.

flashdril

New

Post by flashdril » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:01 pm

Not an expert but I'd imagine it wouldn't hurt to have something signed from your victim saying that she thinks it was accidental (just for your future purposes), and if she's willing maybe get her information to the school.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:09 pm

The person you copy from isn't a victim in a plagiarism case. What they think isn't going to really move anyone.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”