Thoughts on smoking in law school? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
taxman14

Silver

Thoughts on smoking in law school?

Post by taxman14 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:01 pm

Just curious - are lots of law students stoners or, if not, do many smoke from time to time (I'm sure this varies depending on the school). Share your thoughts!
Last edited by taxman14 on Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alive97

Bronze

Re: Thoughts on smoking in law school?

Post by Alive97 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:21 pm

I might suggest asking this question on a different account.

acr

Silver

Post by acr » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:29 pm

Alive97 wrote:I might suggest asking this question on a different account.
Why? What's going to happen? This is bizarre.

You think OP's law school will notice this post, scour OP's message history, compare the results to their admissions data to discern OP's identity, and revoke his acceptance because OP asked a simple question about whether people smoke in law school?

Stop being a neurotic law student.

taxman14

Silver

Post by taxman14 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:34 pm

acr wrote:
Alive97 wrote:I might suggest asking this question on a different account.
Why? What's going to happen? This is bizarre.

You think OP's law school will notice this post, scour OP's message history, compare the results to their admissions data to discern OP's identity, and revoke his acceptance because OP asked a simple question about whether people smoke in law school?

Stop being a neurotic law student.
Also... you know that it is legal in some states

DorkothyParker

Bronze

Post by DorkothyParker » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:39 pm

You should follow the laws of whatever state you are located in.

It's clear many students and professionals on this sub drink and drink well into inebriation. You would know your own ability to achieve your goals while still engaging in whatever hobbies you may have.

Ps. Love your IRS records pic. I'm trying to find their early 80's compilations on vinyl, but they seem pretty rare if existing anywhere.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:55 pm

taxman14 wrote:Just curious - are lots of law students stoners or, if not, do many smoke from time to time (I'm sure this varies depending on the school). Share your thoughts!
Yeah, I'm sure it varies depending on school. A significant percentage of students at my law school smoked pot at least occasionally. Also, I know quite a few lawyers who smoke.

One more thing: although smoking pot is legal in some states, it is still illegal under federal law. This matters because there are certain federal jobs (including coveted AUSA positions) where past illegal drug use may prevent you from getting hired.

flashdril

New

Post by flashdril » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:40 pm

Nice try, the police.

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:45 pm

flashdril wrote:Nice try, the police.
Last edited by MKC on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:10 pm

rpupkin wrote:
taxman14 wrote:Just curious - are lots of law students stoners or, if not, do many smoke from time to time (I'm sure this varies depending on the school). Share your thoughts!
Yeah, I'm sure it varies depending on school. A significant percentage of students at my law school smoked pot at least occasionally. Also, I know quite a few lawyers who smoke.

One more thing: although smoking pot is legal in some states, it is still illegal under federal law. This matters because there are certain federal jobs (including coveted AUSA positions) where past illegal drug use may prevent you from getting hired.
Isn't this only an issue if you have a medical card or a criminal record? I know AUSA's who used to get lit (although not any that continue to use in their current position)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:20 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

Isn't this only an issue if you have a medical card or a criminal record?
No. You're asked to self report the nature and frequency of your past illegal drug use. (You could lie, I suppose, but that's risky given that the consequences of being caught could include disbarment.)

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:13 pm

When I first saw the thread title I thought this was going to be a thread about smoking tobacco. Not that I have an opinion on smoking tobacco or not, but I was going to point you in the direction of the chewing tobacco thread and the chewing tobacco in the office thread. Both are SOLID threads. Feel free to join the discussion.

As far as smoking weed I don't have any thoughts one way or the other.
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:33 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

Isn't this only an issue if you have a medical card or a criminal record? I know AUSA's who used to get lit (although not any that continue to use in their current position)
Depends how much and how recent.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:36 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote: Depends how much and how recent.
I've heard that any use during the previous year is trouble, and that frequent use in law school (and especially frequent use after being admitted to practice) is a problem.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

$$$$$$

Bronze

Post by $$$$$$ » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:35 pm

rpupkin wrote:
I've heard that any use during the previous year is trouble, and that frequent use in law school (and especially frequent use after being admitted to practice) is a problem.
In what way? If you want to be in the DOJ or FBI? Otherwise, this is ridiculous

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:38 pm

$$$$$$ wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
In what way? If you want to be in the DOJ or FBI?
Yes. And even within the DOJ, past illegal drug use is more or less of a problem depending on the position.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:40 pm

rpupkin wrote:
$$$$$$ wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
Yes. And even within the DOJ, past illegal drug use is more or less of a problem depending on the position.
I guess this would be the first time anyone lied about doing drugs

But seriously, I understand the declarations that may be required for law enforcement. That doesn't mean no AUSA's smoked weed in college

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:46 pm

jbagelboy wrote: But seriously, I understand the declarations that may be required for law enforcement. That doesn't mean no AUSA's smoked weed in college
Right. I personally know more than one. As Nony said, it depends on how much and how recent. If you last smoked eight years ago in undergrad, you're probably fine. But if you smoked in the past year or so, you might have issues. And as far as the "lying" part goes, be aware that—at least for certain DOJ positions—the feds will send FBI agents out to interview people from your past, including ex-bfs and ex-gfs. They'll ask about your drug use.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:49 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
$$$$$$ wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
I guess this would be the first time anyone lied about doing drugs

But seriously, I understand the declarations that may be required for law enforcement. That doesn't mean no AUSA's smoked weed in college
Of course it doesn't. But the thread isn't about smoking weed in college.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”