West Coast Job Prospects? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
The_Pluviophile

Bronze

West Coast Job Prospects?

Post by The_Pluviophile » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:29 pm

Hello all,

I am currently living in Florida, and will be going up to Boston for law school this Fall, but I grew up on the west coast and I have a strong desire to move back there at some point after law school. Because I have a strong interest in clerking, which I realize won't leave me much opportunity for choice of locations, I know this might not happen right after school, but nonetheless I wondered what job prospects are like over there?

I know California is of course a huge state with lots of legal jobs, but what are those jobs? What are big-law prospects like in Cali (should I choose that route, and especially since I won't be on that coast for law school)? Perhaps this is a stupid question, but a lot of discussion on here focuses on NYC (for obvious reasons) but I don't have much desire to live there. Is it easier to get NYC biglaw than west coast biglaw? Really I'm just looking for some insight on what the market looks like on that side of the country (I'm a 0L with 0 knowledge). Thank you!

lucretius_

New

Re: West Coast Job Prospects?

Post by lucretius_ » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:42 pm

Where are you going to school? What specific market do you want to work in in Cali? Where are your connections?

Edit: Looked at your post history. Harvard. You shouldn't have a huge problem getting back to the West Coast if you work for it.
Last edited by lucretius_ on Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wipfelder

Silver

Post by Wipfelder » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:42 pm

The_Pluviophile wrote:Hello all,

I will be going up to Boston for law school this Fall,
Which law school in Boston? If it is Harvard, and you are trying to go back to the market you grew up in, I'd say you have pretty good odds of landing something. But like, trying to get to San Diego and your from SF and going to Boston U or something may be very difficult, perhaps impossible.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:46 pm

Wipfelder wrote:
The_Pluviophile wrote:Hello all,

I will be going up to Boston for law school this Fall,
Which law school in Boston? If it is Harvard, and you are trying to go back to the market you grew up in, I'd say you have pretty good odds of landing something. But like, trying to get to San Diego and your from SF and going to Boston U or something may be very difficult, perhaps impossible.
If you're not going to H, you'll need to be among the top of your class at BC or BU and have ties to the market (as noted above, getting into SD if you're from SF isn't going to work). Even that said, I dont know that many firms in LA who recruit from BC/BU.

The_Pluviophile

Bronze

Post by The_Pluviophile » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:51 pm

Yeah, I'm going to Harvard, sorry for the confusion. Also I grew up (and still have family) in Oregon, not Cali (but for obvious reasons I'm not considering moving back to Oregon for work). Cali, preferably SF because LA is not a place I particularly enjoy, is close enough to my family/hometown area while still being civilization lol. I do have some slightly more distant family in Northern Cali, too. Does this count as enough of a "tie", do you think?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:53 pm

If you're at H you'll be fine. the SF/SV market is big enough, but depending on your class rank you should still think about bidding NYC high just for safety purposes.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:56 pm

Let me rephrase that slightly: you'll be in good shape if you're at H. SF/SV big law pulls heavily from Stanford and Boalt. You will certainly have an easier time getting NYC big law than SF/SV biglaw, but it's just relative. If you have good grades, you'll have a decent shot at SF/SV.

There are also some big gov offices in SF if you want them--EPA and Dept of Education.

There's also plenty of good non profits in SF.

whats an updog

Bronze

Post by whats an updog » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:00 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:Let me rephrase that slightly: you'll be in good shape if you're at H. SF/SV big law pulls heavily from Stanford and Boalt. You will certainly have an easier time getting NYC big law than SF/SV biglaw, but it's just relative. If you have good grades, you'll have a decent shot at SF/SV.

There are also some big gov offices in SF if you want them--EPA and Dept of Education.

There's also plenty of good non profits in SF.
Pretty much this.

The_Pluviophile

Bronze

Post by The_Pluviophile » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:09 pm

Ok so basically I'm not really limiting my career options by focusing on west coast? There's biglaw, govt, and other options? This is very comforting :D

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:14 pm

The_Pluviophile wrote:Ok so basically I'm not really limiting my career options by focusing on west coast? There's biglaw, govt, and other options? This is very comforting :D
California is the sixth largest economy in the world, amigo. There are going to be legal jobs here.

The legal job market is, admittedly, smaller than other states relative to certain factors.

But the take away is that if you are going for biglaw and depending on your GPA, you should also consider NYC just to be safe.

There's also a fair number of fed courts here.

The_Pluviophile

Bronze

Post by The_Pluviophile » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:20 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:
The_Pluviophile wrote:Ok so basically I'm not really limiting my career options by focusing on west coast? There's biglaw, govt, and other options? This is very comforting :D
California is the sixth largest economy in the world, amigo. There are going to be legal jobs here.

The legal job market is, admittedly, smaller than other states relative to certain factors.

But the take away is that if you are going for biglaw and depending on your GPA, you should also consider NYC just to be safe.

Fair point. I won't close any doors, I suppose. Thank you for the insight!

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:21 pm

The_Pluviophile wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:

Fair point. I won't close any doors, I suppose. Thank you for the insight!
Totes. Enjoy H, work hard and get good grades, then get out here. CA is the best.

Wipfelder

Silver

Post by Wipfelder » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:22 pm

The_Pluviophile wrote:Yeah, I'm going to Harvard, sorry for the confusion. Also I grew up (and still have family) in Oregon, not Cali (but for obvious reasons I'm not considering moving back to Oregon for work). Cali, preferably SF because LA is not a place I particularly enjoy, is close enough to my family/hometown area while still being civilization lol. I do have some slightly more distant family in Northern Cali, too. Does this count as enough of a "tie", do you think?
Your disdain for the PNW hurts my heart a little. Why not Oregon?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Hildegard15

Gold

Post by Hildegard15 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:11 pm

Wipfelder wrote:
The_Pluviophile wrote:Yeah, I'm going to Harvard, sorry for the confusion. Also I grew up (and still have family) in Oregon, not Cali (but for obvious reasons I'm not considering moving back to Oregon for work). Cali, preferably SF because LA is not a place I particularly enjoy, is close enough to my family/hometown area while still being civilization lol. I do have some slightly more distant family in Northern Cali, too. Does this count as enough of a "tie", do you think?
As a fellow Oregonian currently at H, I also :evil: at this Oregon shade.

The_Pluviophile

Bronze

Post by The_Pluviophile » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:31 pm

Hildegard15 wrote:
Wipfelder wrote:
As a fellow Oregonian currently at H, I also :evil: at this Oregon shade.
First of all, HELLO FELLOW OREGONIANS! There are so few of us haha. My Oregon Shade is not so much a disdain for state (its the most beautiful state I've ever been to, hands down) but I just feel like the job prospects aren't really there. Outside of Portland the whole state is basically the middle of nowhere (which I love!) except I wouldn't love the job choices I think. I've given Seattle some thought though... Also its a little personal. The family I have that still lives in Oregon is the kind of family I like to see at Christmas but don't want to be too close to if you know what I mean lol.

As a side question, as an Oregonian, how do you feel about Boston, Hilde?

maybeman

Bronze

Post by maybeman » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:54 pm

Why anybody enjoys a state which didn't have sun for a 170 day stretch this past fall is beyond me. The only redeeming factors are the brunch spots in SE Portland :D

The_Pluviophile

Bronze

Post by The_Pluviophile » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:57 pm

maybeman wrote:Why anybody enjoys a state which didn't have sun for a 170 day stretch this past fall is beyond me. The only redeeming factors are the brunch spots in SE Portland :D
You've got to like the nature I guess. I really get off on evergreens and giant ferns :lol:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

maybeman

Bronze

Post by maybeman » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:02 pm

The_Pluviophile wrote:
maybeman wrote:Why anybody enjoys a state which didn't have sun for a 170 day stretch this past fall is beyond me. The only redeeming factors are the brunch spots in SE Portland :D
You've got to like the nature I guess. I really get off on evergreens and giant ferns :lol:
The hiking is amazing and the Columbia River gorge/hot springs are great, but I'm from California so I'm a weather elitist :lol:

Hildegard15

Gold

Post by Hildegard15 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:05 pm

The_Pluviophile wrote:
First of all, HELLO FELLOW OREGONIANS! There are so few of us haha. My Oregon Shade is not so much a disdain for state (its the most beautiful state I've ever been to, hands down) but I just feel like the job prospects aren't really there. Outside of Portland the whole state is basically the middle of nowhere (which I love!) except I wouldn't love the job choices I think. I've given Seattle some thought though... Also its a little personal. The family I have that still lives in Oregon is the kind of family I like to see at Christmas but don't want to be too close to if you know what I mean lol.

I've also considered Seattle over PDX for the same reasons as you but in a sea of East Coasters my Oregon pride comes out super strong.

I went to undergrad right outside of Boston so I was already familiar with it before I moved for law school, but I really like it. Cambridge is small enough to not be overwhelming but still has stuff to do. If you want the big city feel it's an easy T ride to downtown. The weather is rough after coming from one of the most moderate climate regions. Fall in Boston can't be beat.

The_Pluviophile

Bronze

Post by The_Pluviophile » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:28 pm

maybeman wrote:
The_Pluviophile wrote:
The hiking is amazing and the Columbia River gorge/hot springs are great, but I'm from California so I'm a weather elitist :lol:
Fair enough haha

The_Pluviophile

Bronze

Post by The_Pluviophile » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:29 pm

Hildegard15 wrote:
The_Pluviophile wrote:

I've also considered Seattle over PDX for the same reasons as you but in a sea of East Coasters my Oregon pride comes out super strong.

I went to undergrad right outside of Boston so I was already familiar with it before I moved for law school, but I really like it. Cambridge is small enough to not be overwhelming but still has stuff to do. If you want the big city feel it's an easy T ride to downtown. The weather is rough after coming from one of the most moderate climate regions. Fall in Boston can't be beat.
Yeah I've heard good things about Cambridge/Boston from most everyone, but the winter is going to be rough to say the least. But Fall is my favorite season, and living in Florida for many years has left me seriously deprived, so I'm super excited for that.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”