Best Law School Exam Book for learning how to Anaylze Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
CoLolliRol

New

Best Law School Exam Book for learning how to Anaylze

Post by CoLolliRol » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:57 pm

Issue Spotting isn't my issue--however, I am having problems with analyzing the facts very thoroughly. What books help teach this?

Bronze

Re: Best Law School Exam Book for learning how to Anaylze

Post by 265489164158 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:32 pm

Is this in the context of improving test-taking performance? I don't know that there is a book for this, but I would suggest practicing by reading and briefing cases to make sure that you are actually pulling out the critical facts. Then, on an issue spotter exam, understand that there are no random facts. Your prof chose every fact to either be examined and used, or, as a red herring to confuse you. I would practice marking up question prompts and noting what those particular facts point you to in the material, then arguing both sides. I also think taking practice exams and exchanging answers or talking through answers with others to see how they analyzed the facts could help. Find people who think differently than you, so you can benefit from that different perspective to narrow your blind spots.

BulletTooth

Bronze

Re: Best Law School Exam Book for learning how to Anaylze

Post by BulletTooth » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:17 pm

Getting to Maybe is highly regarded for improving at taking law school exams--I read it before 1L and found that it helped. I'm sure you could snag a used one on Amazon for cheap.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”