Pre-law school job help (sorry if this is in the wrong place) Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
CoGar

New

Pre-law school job help (sorry if this is in the wrong place)

Post by CoGar » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:15 am

Not really sure what forum this belongs in but I have a question that some of you may be able to help me out with by bringing some perspective to the table....

I just graduated undergrad a few months ago and plan to live and work in NYC for 2ish years before attending law School. I was offered two jobs and I'm interested in which you think would benefit me better in the long run/give me a decent work/life balance as I study for the LSAT and explore a new city.

Job 1: V20 Legal Assistant/Paralegal (Banking Finance practice area) - Working hands on with team but still seen as the low man on the totem pole From what I understand, there will be long, often unpredictable hours.

Job 2: V100 Court Clerk position in Managing Attorneys Office- More of a back/middle office position with firm wide exposure to Litigation matters. Handle filings/calendering/docketing both in and out of courts. Less exposure to working hands on with attorneys, but ultimately not seen as "bitch-work" for lack of a better term.

What do ya'll think?

cavalier1138

Re: Pre-law school job help (sorry if this is in the wrong place)

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:27 am

Take the one you're more interested in as a job (rather than as a means to an end). There isn't a "correct" job to have before law school.

carsondalywashere

Silver

Re: Pre-law school job help (sorry if this is in the wrong place)

Post by carsondalywashere » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:56 am

I'm a 0L, but I think the job that would give you the most flexibility for studying the LSAT would be the right call

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”