Help! Law Firm Fit! Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Texas2Step

New

Re: Help! Law Firm Fit!

Post by Texas2Step » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:43 pm

KissMyAxe wrote:
Texas2Step wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:OP, have you started law school yet?
Yes, and no. I am about to go to YLS. But took ~20 law school classes in undergrad...
So the answer is no. Those don't count for anything. Counting your chickens pretty early, aren't you? You're an introverted misanthrope who wants an appellate boutique and two COA judges, and you're a 0L. Seems legit. Why don't you get here, see how you do next year (quick warning, there are no grades first semester, but for judges, there really are). If you want a top clerkship you need to be acing your courses. This is like a kid in high school coming on here asking what he needs to do to get into YLS. It sounds like you know nothing about appellate practice. You fit an all too common mold at YLS. You're a high achieving kid whose always chasing the next gold star. Youll be happier if you stop chasing prestige for prestige's sake. Ask this question next year. Or at least ask me in a PM so we don't clutter the site.
Actually, no its not like that at all. I have a Stanford BA and YLS and Oxford acceptance letters and will be joining you in less than 2 months. Also, Professor recs go a long way for clerking but how can 1st semester grades mean anything when its Pass/Fail and everyone passes? Also, I got to argue 3 moots at SLS during undergrad, take 20 law school classes and exams, and all my close mentors there were former appellate attorneys. Again, I just want advice there is no need to be a disparaging a#$%^&* who makes statements without knowing what they are speaking about.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:43 pm

Texas2Step wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:
Texas2Step wrote:
Yes, and no. I am about to go to YLS. But took ~20 law school classes in undergrad...
Not "yes, and no." The answer to the question is a resounding no.
If you interpret the question strictly maybe. But, he was probably asking the question as a proxy for assessing my familiarity with the profession. I'm working as an SA right now and have more law school classes on my transcript that most 1Ls. Why the hell can't I ask a question about law firm culture - especially when I only get 2 chances to find the right place and other 0Ls don't even know firm names?
No, she was probably asking the question to see if you should even be posting in this forum... and as a 0L, you should not. See ya next year! I'm sure you will have excellent options from YLS -- just worry about them then.

ETA: Enjoy your summer. You have a lot of time to worry about this stuff... now is a great time to relax and enjoy yourself.

Texas2Step

New

Post by Texas2Step » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:49 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Texas2Step wrote:In any event, I have about ~10 moot courts scheduled for 1L year and 7 pro bono groups so this train is about to leave the station. Finally, I was tentative about the 2 CoA clerkships - my advisor told me it would make more sense to do one at the district level and then clerk for a CoA.
I have no idea what the bolded is about. Are you sure you're talking about law school?
Sorry bolded was unintentional - fixing it now

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:53 pm

Wait, you've taken 20 law CLASSES? Or do you mean 20 *credits* of undergrad coursework that involve the law somehow?

LOL, this has gone from a little smug to full-on bizarre.

Texas2Step

New

Post by Texas2Step » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:56 pm

cron1834 wrote:Wait, you've taken 20 law CLASSES? Or do you mean 20 *credits* of undergrad coursework that involve the law somehow?

Yeah, I said classes. I have wanted to be a lawyer since I was six. Went to Palo Alto, found some SLS folks, networked, one thing lead to another next thing you know I'm in tax, habeas corpus, and 14th amend. as a senior. The sky is the limit when you have a plan - which is why I am asking for everyone's input.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

blueapple

Silver

Post by blueapple » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:58 pm

Texas2Step wrote:
cron1834 wrote:Wait, you've taken 20 law CLASSES? Or do you mean 20 *credits* of undergrad coursework that involve the law somehow?

Yeah, I said classes. I have wanted to be a lawyer since I was six. Went to Palo Alto, found some SLS folks, networked, one thing lead to another next thing you know I'm Tax, habeas corpus, and 14th amend. as a senior. The sky is the limit when you have a plan - which is why I am asking for everyone's input.
Seems you've got it all figured out, so why are you asking us?

Anyway, as someone already pointed out, you can't be posting in the legal employment forum until you are in law school. Come back in a few months.

quiver

Silver

Post by quiver » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:59 pm

Texas2Step wrote:

Yeah, I said classes. I have wanted to be a lawyer since I was six. Went to Palo Alto, found some SLS folks, networked, one thing lead to another next thing you know I'm in tax, habeas corpus, and 14th amend. as a senior. The sky is the limit when you have a plan - which is why I am asking for everyone's input.
You already seem to have a "plan". Your original request was for specific firms, which does you no good as a 0L.

Texas2Step

New

Post by Texas2Step » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:59 pm

blueapple wrote:
Texas2Step wrote:

Yeah, I said classes. I have wanted to be a lawyer since I was six. Went to Palo Alto, found some SLS folks, networked, one thing lead to another next thing you know I'm Tax, habeas corpus, and 14th amend. as a senior. The sky is the limit when you have a plan - which is why I am asking for everyone's input.

Anyway, as someone already pointed out, you can't be posting in the legal employment forum until you are in law school. Come back in a few months.
Okay, I'll come back in August. Seems a bit arbitrary. I just wanted help navigating the law firm cultures in NYC and DC...

tripu11

New

Post by tripu11 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:02 pm

And this thread is why going to law school at Yale is a disadvantage one has to overcome when I interview a person from Yale during a callback. It's pretty obvious when a person doesn't want to work in biglaw and that's a clear auto-ding in my book. Every person I've ever interviewed from Yale looked like a deer in headlights at the prospect of actually having to work hard.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:03 pm

You're not working as a SA right now because law firms only hire SAs from law schools. You may be an intern at a law firm, but you are not a SA.

It's Yale Law Journal, not Law Review.

You seem very oddly uninformed and presumptuous for someone with acceptance letters from YLS and Oxford and a BA from Stanford.

Just to be clear, you claim to have taken SLS classes as an undergrad? Particularly, non-1L classes? And ~60 credits worth?
Last edited by PeanutsNJam on Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:05 pm

Texas2Step wrote:
blueapple wrote:
Texas2Step wrote:

Okay, I'll come back in August. Seems a bit arbitrary. I just wanted help navigating the law firm cultures in NYC and DC...
That's part of the problem: you don't need to navigate any of it for quite a long time. The absolute earliest time you could possibly even need to start consider things like firm culture is December 1st, and realistically it'll be even later than that because the types of work you want to find yourself in won't be bringing you on as a 1L SA (I still want to know how on earth you consider yourself an SA when you haven't even started law school yet, but that's a separate discussion).

There are a lot more important things you need to be thinking about right now than whether Cleary DC or Cravath are a better fit for your personality. You're off to a great start by going to YLS, but you're still putting the cart in front of several horses.

Texas2Step

New

Post by Texas2Step » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:07 pm

tripu11 wrote:And this thread is why going to law school at Yale is a disadvantage one has to overcome when I interview a person from Yale during a callback. It's pretty obvious when a person doesn't want to work in biglaw and that's a clear auto-ding in my book. Every person I've ever interviewed from Yale looked like a deer in headlights at the prospect of actually having to work hard.
This is not who I think it is...

Texas2Step

New

Post by Texas2Step » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:08 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:You're not working as a SA right now because law firms only hire SAs from law schools. You may be an intern at a law firm, but you are not a SA.

You seem very oddly uninformed and presumptuous for someone with acceptance letters from YLS and Oxford and a BA from Stanford.

Just to be clear, you claim to have taken SLS classes as an undergrad? Particularly, non-1L classes? And ~60 credits worth?
First point, yeah.

Second, don't lecture me about the title of the law journal at my own school..

Third, yes I have and I have the transcript to prove it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jkpolk

Silver

Post by jkpolk » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:09 pm

holy shit 20 law school classes might be more law school classes than i took in 3 years of law school

Texas2Step

New

Post by Texas2Step » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:10 pm

UVA2B wrote:
Texas2Step wrote:
blueapple wrote:
Texas2Step wrote:

That's part of the problem: you don't need to navigate any of it for quite a long time. The absolute earliest time you could possibly even need to start consider things like firm culture is December 1st, and realistically it'll be even later than that because the types of work you want to find yourself in won't be bringing you on as a 1L SA (I still want to know how on earth you consider yourself an SA when you haven't even started law school yet, but that's a separate discussion).

There are a lot more important things you need to be thinking about right now than whether Cleary DC or Cravath are a better fit for your personality. You're off to a great start by going to YLS, but you're still putting the cart in front of several horses.
Well taken.

Texas2Step

New

Post by Texas2Step » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:13 pm

Texas2Step wrote:
tripu11 wrote:And this thread is why going to law school at Yale is a disadvantage one has to overcome when I interview a person from Yale during a callback. It's pretty obvious when a person doesn't want to work in biglaw and that's a clear auto-ding in my book. Every person I've ever interviewed from Yale looked like a deer in headlights at the prospect of actually having to work hard.
If it is, you know right well that I have stayed past 10PM more times than all the junior associates and summers in the office the last two weeks.

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:17 pm

Texas2Step wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:You're not working as a SA right now because law firms only hire SAs from law schools. You may be an intern at a law firm, but you are not a SA.

First point, yeah.

Second, don't lecture me about the title of the law journal at my own school..

Third, yes I have and I have the transcript to prove it.
Looks like he got the second point right, too! Without lecturing you, either, just by quickly pointing out your error.

And, the general question here is a good one - if you know everything, and you have so many friends at SLS, then why are you here?

Edit - oops, I forgot, as a 0L you aren't allowed to post. Sorry bro.
Last edited by cron1834 on Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:17 pm

Texas2Step wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:
Texas2Step wrote:
If you interpret the question strictly maybe. But, he was probably asking the question as a proxy for assessing my familiarity with the profession. I'm working as an SA right now and have more law school classes on my transcript that most 1Ls. Why the hell can't I ask a question about law firm culture - especially when I only get 2 chances to find the right place and other 0Ls don't even know firm names?
Actually, she was asking because as a 0L you're not allowed to post in this forum, so I'm moving it.

Like others, I don't get your statements that you're currently a SA or have set up 7 moot courts for next year, and they don't actually inspire confidence in your familiarity with the profession, but you do you I guess.

Roy McAvoy

Bronze

Post by Roy McAvoy » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:18 pm

Texas2Step wrote:
Texas2Step wrote:
If it is, you know right well that I have stayed past 10PM more times than all the junior associates and summers in the office the last two weeks.
*grabs popcorn*

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:19 pm

1 SA, 7 moot courts, 11 pro bonos, and 20 law school classes! Kid has it all!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:22 pm

Texas2Step wrote:
Texas2Step wrote:
Also what on earth do you mean by this? (And if you're an intern why on EARTH are you staying past 10 more than others? And do you know whether they're logging in from home and working later?)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Texas2Step

New

Post by Texas2Step » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:23 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Texas2Step wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:
Texas2Step wrote:
Actually, she was asking because as a 0L you're not allowed to post in this forum, so I'm moving it.

Like others, I don't get your statements that you're currently a SA or have set up 7 moot courts for next year, and they don't actually inspire confidence in your familiarity with the profession, but you do you I guess.
Well, okay I will do me. Aside from getting to know professors, the P/F semester will allow me to do pleasing things like argue in these moots without having to worry about grades.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:24 pm

I think KissMyAxe's point about grades earlier was that even without formal grades, your first semester performance is going to be crucial for impressing the profs who can get you the right clerkships.

Texas2Step

New

Post by Texas2Step » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:25 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Texas2Step wrote:
Texas2Step wrote:
Also what on earth do you mean by this? (And if you're an intern why on EARTH are you staying past 10 more than others? And do you know whether they're logging in from home and working later?)
Everybody goes to social events so no, they do not work from home. I want to make a good impression and some of the supervising folks are....testy...read into this what you will...

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:26 pm

Texas2Step wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
quiver wrote:If you want to do high-level appellate work in DC, you should probably put in some effort (read: you'll likely need an appellate a SCOTUS clerkship).
It's very difficult to do only high-level appellate work as an associate in big law, even if you're coming off of a decent COA clerkship. These firms make their money off of trial-level litigation. I've had so many friends who were hired into the "appellate lit group" but who spend over half their time doing the same boring trial-level litigation tasks (discovery, evidentiary motions, etc.) that all associates do.
Is Pro-Bono or Government the way to go then? I have been thinking about DOJ Civil Appellate or the Texas OSG.
Mostly responding just to tag this trainwreck of a thread, but FWIW, Texas OSG doesn't hire junior attorneys, though I'm sure you'd be a strong candidate for their clerkship, if they got to keep their funding for it in the latest budget.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”