Help! Law Firm Fit! Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Texas2Step

New

Re: Help! Law Firm Fit!

Post by Texas2Step » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:04 pm

Nebby wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:I actually think it's very normal for people to think they'll like appellate. (Some of us do actually like it, Nebby.) It is a good match for nerdy introverts (as an appellate lawyer said to me once, appellate lawyers don't get out much), and then of course people think they want it because they think it's all like arguing in front of SCOTUS.

There are lots of AMAZING things in what OP is saying, but that they think they'll like appellate isn't one of them.
I think 95% of people who say they like it will be because of bolded, which is why I chuckle
There are state appellate courts. Why the hell would you enter appellate just to argue in front of SCOTUS? Is that what you thought when you read my posts? Retarded...

Texas2Step

New

Post by Texas2Step » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:06 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Texas2Step wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:I think KissMyAxe's point about grades earlier was that even without formal grades, your first semester performance is going to be crucial for impressing the profs who can get you the right clerkships.
Okay, well hopefully I can multi-task. I spent undergrad living like a hermit and this is finally my chance to get appellate experience (albeit in student competitions). You only live once...
You can be the best multi-tasker in the world but I mean this nicely, there is no way you're writing 7 appellate briefs during 1L. There's also no earthly reason to do so, if Yale will even let you.
I am passionate about my practice. Where there is a will there is a way plus, I knocked down 3/10 already. If you spend time right, you can do it...

Texas2Step

New

Post by Texas2Step » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:07 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:I'm still confused about how you took 20 law school classes in your senior year of undergrad. As was pointed out, taking 20 doctrinal classes would be on the high end for a full-time law student over the course of three years.
It was 20 over four years. Each Stanford undergrad averages about 15 classes a year and the law school classes counted towards my major. Not that hard to figure out...

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:10 pm

Texas2Step wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Texas2Step wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:I think KissMyAxe's point about grades earlier was that even without formal grades, your first semester performance is going to be crucial for impressing the profs who can get you the right clerkships.
Okay, well hopefully I can multi-task. I spent undergrad living like a hermit and this is finally my chance to get appellate experience (albeit in student competitions). You only live once...
You can be the best multi-tasker in the world but I mean this nicely, there is no way you're writing 7 appellate briefs during 1L. There's also no earthly reason to do so, if Yale will even let you.
I am passionate about my practice. Where there is a will there is a way plus, I knocked down 3/10 already. If you spend time right, you can do it...
Writing 7 appellate briefs during 1L may be the definition of not spending your time right, but, as you said, you only live once.

hasmith

Bronze

Post by hasmith » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:10 pm

Rock Solid OP - were there other undergrads in these law school classes?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Texas2Step

New

Post by Texas2Step » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:11 pm

hasmith wrote:Rock Solid OP - were there other undergrads in these law school classes?
Nope. I had prior connections and the professors let me in based on faculty recommendations and a sit down interview

Kali the Annihilator

Platinum

Post by Kali the Annihilator » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:14 pm

"Passionate about my practice" -0L

Also, you got a faculty rec to sit in law school classes as a freshman?

hasmith

Bronze

Post by hasmith » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:15 pm

Copy that - I did something similar with the medical school attached to my university, even scrubbed in for a few of the easier surgeries! Really great experience, good on ya for thinking outside the box!

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:16 pm

Check into the destinations thread :mrgreen:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Texas2Step

New

Post by Texas2Step » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:18 pm

Kali the Annihilator wrote:"Passionate about my practice" -0L

Yeah, I did - because I took initiative. It was a verbal recommendation. I all I know is that the YLS staff saw my transcript, looked at classes, and here I am. Don't hate on me just because you can't believe someone would find their calling at a young age and dedicate their all to being the best.

Kali the Annihilator

Platinum

Post by Kali the Annihilator » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:18 pm

Im not hating imaginary bullshit

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:19 pm

I'm digging this. It's kind of like a YLS-0L version of Da Rascal.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:19 pm

Texas2Step wrote:
Nebby wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:I actually think it's very normal for people to think they'll like appellate. (Some of us do actually like it, Nebby.) It is a good match for nerdy introverts (as an appellate lawyer said to me once, appellate lawyers don't get out much), and then of course people think they want it because they think it's all like arguing in front of SCOTUS.

There are lots of AMAZING things in what OP is saying, but that they think they'll like appellate isn't one of them.
I think 95% of people who say they like it will be because of bolded, which is why I chuckle
There are state appellate courts. Why the hell would you enter appellate just to argue in front of SCOTUS? Is that what you thought when you read my posts? Retarded...
Retarded?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Texas2Step

New

Post by Texas2Step » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:20 pm

Kali the Annihilator wrote:Im not hating imaginary bullshit
No, you just sorry...

chandhi

Gold

Post by chandhi » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:22 pm

guybourdin wrote:Check into the destinations thread :mrgreen:

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:22 pm

No, not a rec - RECS. Like 20 separate times, for credit. Sounds legit.

Texas2Step

New

Post by Texas2Step » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:24 pm

cron1834 wrote:

My professors love me. Also, I don't know if these posts are coming from people from my workplace who are scared about me talking about their trifiling racist behavior and making the company's diversity initiatives look bad. If it is, you mofos have one more troll post before I unmask everyone.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Kali the Annihilator

Platinum

Post by Kali the Annihilator » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:27 pm

Hilarious. Comic genius, really

njdevils2626

Silver

Post by njdevils2626 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:29 pm

Texas2Step wrote:
cron1834 wrote:

My professors love me. Also, I don't know if these posts are coming from people from my workplace who are scared about me talking about their trifiling racist behavior and making the company's diversity initiatives look bad. If it is, you mofos have one more troll post before I unmask everyone.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:30 pm

Texas2Step wrote:
cron1834 wrote:

*Gulp*

I'm sorry, Texas2Step....I take back anything unflattering about you I may have suggested in this thread. Also, we greatly value your contributions to our workplace.

Please do not unmask me. Please.

hasmith

Bronze

Post by hasmith » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:33 pm

Did you have to pay law school tuition on top of regular tuition at Stanford?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Texas2Step

New

Post by Texas2Step » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:33 pm

njdevils2626 wrote:
Texas2Step wrote:
cron1834 wrote:

Most of my law professors do love me. How the hell you think I got into YLS?

Texas2Step

New

Post by Texas2Step » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:34 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Texas2Step wrote:
cron1834 wrote:

*Gulp*

I'm sorry, Texas2Step....I take back anything unflattering about you I may have suggested in this thread. Also, we greatly value your contributions to our workplace.

We cool. Would appreciate it if you told everybody else to chill - thread will be deleted soon anyway...

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:36 pm

Texas2Step wrote:
njdevils2626 wrote:
Texas2Step wrote:
cron1834 wrote:

Most of my law professors do love me. How the hell you think I got into YLS?
Unilateral mistake?

But seriously, say more SJW things.

njdevils2626

Silver

Post by njdevils2626 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:36 pm

Texas2Step wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
Texas2Step wrote:
cron1834 wrote:

*Gulp*

We cool. Would appreciate it if you told everybody else to chill - thread will be deleted soon anyway...
Noooooooooooooo don't delete, this has been my favorite thread all year! Most entertainment I've had since bar studying began

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”