West Virginia Big law Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
joefresh

New

West Virginia Big law

Post by joefresh » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:06 am

I want to do M&A work, so that's definitely a plus. In my research thus far (Vault, NJ250, etc) I've noticed a lot of people complaining about low salary but there seems to be some information which suggests Dentons offers high bonuses/benefits to 2/3rd year associates which makes up for this. Furthermore, I guess there's the ability (or, perceived ability) to lateral to one of Dentons many international offices.

I care A LOT about salary.

Please let me know what you guys have heard/experienced.

Thank you kindly.
Last edited by joefresh on Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Mullens

Silver

Re: Dentons?????

Post by Mullens » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:11 pm

joefresh wrote:Hey all, looking at a SA at Denton's next summer through a family connection (other firms available as well, just curious about Dentons)

I want to do M&A work, so that's definitely a plus. In my research thus far (Vault, NJ250, etc) I've noticed a lot of people complaining about low salary but there seems to be some information which suggests Dentons offers high bonuses/benefits to 2/3rd year associates which makes up for this. Furthermore, I guess there's the ability (or, perceived ability) to lateral to one of Dentons many international offices.

I want to be in New York or somewhere in the northeast, and I care A LOT about salary.

Thank you kindly.
Dentons does not pay market. Any firm with black-box compensation does not pay market as a rule. Any talk from the firm about bonuses to make up for compensation is bullshit and still will leave you under market.

Dentons also doesn't do that much M&A

Pokemon

Gold

Post by Pokemon » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:51 pm

What are the other available firms?

Wipfelder

Silver

Post by Wipfelder » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:54 pm

Mullens wrote:
joefresh wrote:Hey all, looking at a SA at Denton's next summer through a family connection (other firms available as well, just curious about Dentons)

I want to be in New York or somewhere in the northeast, and I care A LOT about salary.

Thank you kindly.
Dentons does not pay market. Any firm with black-box compensation does not pay market as a rule. Any talk from the firm about bonuses to make up for compensation is bullshit and still will leave you under market.

Dentons also doesn't do that much M&A
According to NALP they pay Summers market (3462.00/week). I imagine that means first year compensation is 180,000.00.

Winter is Coming

Bronze

Post by Winter is Coming » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:33 pm

If salary is your number one concern and you are competitive for other firms, obviously you should look for firms paying lockstep market. Absolutely use Dentons as a fallback if you have great connections there. The Vault rankings are useless in a lot of ways, but for large deal M&A work in NYC they are actually a pretty good guideline for firms you should be looking at. A lot of this depends on your school and grades in terms of how competitive you will be for those types of firms.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

joefresh

New

Post by joefresh » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:36 pm

Pokemon wrote:What are the other available firms?
Thompson & Knight + id rather not spill my entire prospect list. But the advice thus far has been helpful.

Pokemon

Gold

Post by Pokemon » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:41 pm

joefresh wrote:
Pokemon wrote:What are the other available firms?
Thompson & Knight + id rather not spill my entire prospect list. But the advice thus far has been helpful.
If your other firms are the like of Thompson then dentons probably a good deal. If the others are the likes of let's say Paul Weiss, then dentons is a bad deal. Hard for people to advise if they do not know your other prospects

joefresh

New

Post by joefresh » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:45 pm

I thought Thompson>Dentons, if I'm honest..... or maybe my "I want to be in NY" thing is what messed that up.

And ya ... No Wiess. a) couldn't get it b) dont care very much about prestige

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:50 pm

joefresh wrote:I thought Thompson>Dentons, if I'm honest..... or maybe my "I want to be in NY" thing is what messed that up.

So the Vault rankings/prestige are pretty much only valuable for Corporate practice is New York. Considering you want to do M&A in New York, then you should be considering things like the M&A league tables and Chambers rankings.

Obviously if Dentons is your best option, then take it without hesitation, but it's far from being the best option for M&A in New York.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

joefresh

New

Post by joefresh » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:57 pm

Mullens wrote:
joefresh wrote:I thought Thompson>Dentons, if I'm honest..... or maybe my "I want to be in NY" thing is what messed that up.

So the Vault rankings/prestige are pretty much only valuable for Corporate practice is New York. Considering you want to do M&A in New York, then you should be considering things like the M&A league tables and Chambers rankings.

Obviously if Dentons is your best option, then take it without hesitation, but it's far from being the best option for M&A in New York.

Did not know this. What if ... say I wasn't interest in doing M&A and realistically just want to make market-pay? Would you suggest I focus on any field in particular to maximize odds (just not Patent obvs)

law9898

New

Post by law9898 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:58 pm

Yeah I don't think TK does very much m&a work in NY. If you're talking about Dallas/Houston then sure but I'm pretty sure TK in NY is mainly just real estate.

joefresh

New

Post by joefresh » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:02 pm

Yea, TK in Texas is cool .... like, I'd be happy

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:06 pm

Don't go to law school.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

joefresh

New

Post by joefresh » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:11 pm

BigZuck wrote:Don't go to law school.
i think you mean "retake"

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:14 pm

joefresh wrote:
No I really don't. This is a straight up don't go, full stop situation.

joefresh

New

Post by joefresh » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:28 pm

BigZuck wrote:
joefresh wrote:
Would west virginia or Ole Miss give me a better shot at Texas big law? People in another forum told me Texas A&M would not help but I'd think that the regional pull would be valuable. I'm not taking the Lsat again and I'm dead set on becoming a lawyer as it is all that im passionate about.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Re: West Virginia Big law

Post by TLSModBot » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:45 pm

Moved to Ask a Law Student/Graduate forum.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:54 pm

joefresh wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
joefresh wrote:
Would west virginia or Ole Miss give me a better shot at Texas big law? People in another forum told me Texas A&M would not help but I'd think that the regional pull would be valuable. I'm not taking the Lsat again and I'm dead set on becoming a lawyer as it is all that im passionate about.
Then enjoy not getting the type of lawyer job in the region where you want to practice. That's not hyperbole. West Virginia and Ole Miss is not putting you in TX corporate work. It's hilariously misguided to even have to ask that question.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:56 pm

joefresh wrote:Would west virginia or Ole Miss give me a better shot at Texas big law? People in another forum told me Texas A&M would not help but I'd think that the regional pull would be valuable. I'm not taking the Lsat again and I'm dead set on becoming a lawyer as it is all that im passionate about.
Way to bury the lead.

Don't go to law school. If you are dead set on not retaking and your goals are stupidly impossible from your potential schools, then just don't go. If you're really passionate about this work, then you'll do what's required to actually do it, which involves going to a law school that has a decent biglaw placement rate.

Edit: I thought your name looked vaguely familiar. Create your own account (assuming this is the friend of the original account user) or stop trolling (if it's been the same person the whole time).

joefresh

New

Post by joefresh » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:11 pm

I think the numbers from these schools are negatively biased. Not everyone who goes to law school wants to be a practicing lawyer. A lot of people just want a useful qualification and some female students are just there to find a husband.

Assuming I dont want big law, im sure if i do well at one of the aforementioned schools I can network my way into a reasonably respectable firm.

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:13 pm

joefresh wrote:some female students are just there to find a husband.
what?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

chandhi

Gold

Post by chandhi » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:14 pm

guybourdin wrote:
joefresh wrote:some female students are just there to find a husband.
what?

joefresh

New

Post by joefresh » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:15 pm

My friends say a lot of their girlfriends are there mostly for the social aspect woth no intentions of practicing. I dont condone it but i think it skews the statistics

joefresh

New

Post by joefresh » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:17 pm

whatever. i told my friend this forum was useless anyways. bye.

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:19 pm

joefresh wrote:bye.
plz

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”