How to use network (senators and judges) to help application? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
aric

New

How to use network (senators and judges) to help application?

Post by aric » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:10 pm

Hi there,

I was wondering how to correctly use my network which includes active and retired senators and a high level judge to bolster my application. I plan to apply for Fall 2018 and have already taken the June LSAT and expect a 170+ (I will retake if necessary). Although my ugpa is low (3.1), I did major in Math and Business Admin with a minor in Computer Engineering.

I just want to know what the best thing I could do to bolster my application. Would having them write recs be useful? Or should I perhaps work under one of them? They also offer various unique full-time position opportunities (finance and lobbying specifically). Should I work full-time?

As already accepted students/graduates, what do you think? I want to stand out (enough to compensate for my poor ugpa. For that matter I could also do another semester and probably achieve a 4.0).

Thanks in advance for any responses!

UVA2B

Gold

Re: How to use network (senators and judges) to help application?

Post by UVA2B » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:15 pm

Are any of your contacts alumni at the schools you're targeting? Cause power player alumni who write letters of rec. and make phone calls on your behalf to the Dean can help, but if they aren't alumni, they aren't going to help you get admission just because they are a judge or senator.

What schools are you targeting?

Get the 170+ first. Figure out which schools you're targeting specifically. Come back and look for help in crafting your application in order to best position for admission. This is all mostly premature.

humple

New

Post by humple » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:21 pm

aric wrote:Hi there,
I plan to apply for Fall 2018 and have already taken the June LSAT and expect a 170+ (I will retake if necessary). Although my ugpa is low (3.1)...
So right now you have a 3.1 and no LSAT score. Unless one of your old senator friends is the dean, I think you should wait until you get your score back and then ask this question.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:23 pm

No

jaekeem

New

Post by jaekeem » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:45 pm

The only way I can imagine this working is if they have direct relationships/strings they can pull among those that control admissions.

Anything else just seems...odd. Why should a law school care if you know a senator or judge? They care more about maintaining a high gpa/LSAT average.

Your best bet seems to be working with them, if they can give you opportunities that would strengthen your resume and make you a more competitive applicant.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:20 am

I agree with what's been said so far about this being premature and about these connections being most helpful if they have some kind of "in." If you haven't really worked for any of these people yet, I'm also kind of curious as to what your relationship with them is and what you're hoping they'll be able to say about you.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:36 am

mjb447 wrote:I agree with what's been said so far about this being premature and about these connections being most helpful if they have some kind of "in." If you haven't really worked for any of these people yet, I'm also kind of curious as to what your relationship with them is and what you're hoping they'll be able to say about you.
Inb4 "My dad does their taxes."

Seriously though, don't overestimate generally influential people and their ability to affect people they've ever met. A retired senator once carried at least some clout, but if they have no connection to the law school you're considering, and they know nothing about you professionally where they can't speak to your personal abilities with any specificity, then you're hoping the admissions officer reads a generic letter of rec. that effectively says, "I don't know anything about this person professionally, but my name has been in the NYT and I'm kind of a big deal. So yeah, admit them without delay."

It'll sound nicer than that, but to the admissions at a given law school, that's likely how they'll read it.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:45 am

aric wrote:For that matter I could also do another semester and probably achieve a 4.0).
In addition to what's already been said (seriously, don't rely on your connections), it is far too late to plan on the "Look at me! I turned my life around and got a 4.0!" approach. You've already graduated - or at least it sounds like you have - so your GPA is set in stone.

aric

New

Post by aric » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:44 pm

Hi all!
Thanks for the responses. I realize rereading my initial post that I may have came off a bit.. imposing, to say the least.

To answer your questions:
My GPA is not set in stone. I can convert my Computer Engineering minor to a major, and thereby still affect my UGPA.
(As far as my LSAT goes, I am confident in my preparation. I also signed up for August just in case).

I realize this is all a bit premature, but I have had a habit in my life to procrastinate so I wanted to do everything possible to get a head start.

I know these senators and judges from various volunteer efforts and just generally networking. I just happened to run into them time and time again and even did them a few favors, working with one specifically to create an educational program for inner city kids.

My target schools are funny; at this point, I should take what I can get and everything is a reach. But I would really really love Villanova, NYU, or Duke. Once again, massive reaches, which is why I am trying to plan ahead.

I am by NO means asking what strings I should pull with these people, I was just curious what would look good on a potential application. I do not know how highly law schools value politicians or their professions; that is precisely why I asked. Judging from the responses, I realize it probably does not matter to admissions unless they are alumni. Thank you for making that clear.

Once again, appreciate all your responses.Just trying to figure out what my best path for the future is, whether it be taking another semester, working under one of these figures, or something else entirely. Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:52 pm

aric wrote:My GPA is not set in stone. I can convert my Computer Engineering minor to a major, and thereby still affect my UGPA.
Now I'm confused. In your first post, you specifically said that you "did major in Math and Business Admin". Have you already received a bachelor's degree? Or should that sentence have said that you are currently majoring in Math and Business Admin?
aric wrote:My target schools are funny; at this point, I should take what I can get and everything is a reach. But I would really really love Villanova, NYU, or Duke.
One of these things is not like the other...

Barrred

Bronze

Post by Barrred » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:07 pm

Re: Villanova, im guessing OP meant Vandy.

I agree with the previous posters that your connections arent going to be auto-admit tickets into the T14, and you are putting the cart before the horse here, but I think the posters in this thread are being a little hyperbolic in saying that your connections will do nothing for you. They aren't going to make up for a low LSAT score, but I think that having a few high profile senators/judges write letters of recommendation on your behalf (even if they are brief, just commenting on your having a good work ethic and good personality) could be a great cherry on top of your application.

If I were you, I would first check your connections' bios to see where they went to law school. If any went to a school you are targeting, I would ask that person if they would write a letter of recommendation on your behalf for that school specifically. Even if they aren't alumni, however, I would still ask if they would mind writing you a short letter of recommendation (if you feel comfortable asking them for a favor).

aric

New

Post by aric » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:38 pm

Yes, yes I did. Sorry about that, really should reread my posts.

Thanks for the advice, definitely will ask any alums I find in my network. They have all offered me favors before, so hopefully this wouldn't be too much. I do not know why I did not think of this myself (seems like the obvious thing to do so I obviously missed it haha).

As for my majors, I went to undergrad at Boston University. Although I graduated, I still can add concentrations to my majors (i.e Business Admin) or upgrade a minor, all of which would count towards my UGPA. Or at least, that is what advising has told me. So hypothetically, would this be a good alternative?

As always, appreciate the responses.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:53 pm

If you've received a BA, that GPA is the GPA that is reported to law schools and counts for their rankings. Classes taken post-award of the first undergrad degree don't count.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

aric

New

Post by aric » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:17 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:If you've received a BA, that GPA is the GPA that is reported to law schools and counts for their rankings. Classes taken post-award of the first undergrad degree don't count.
Ok, let's pretend that I can in fact take another semester and increase my uGPA. Should that be a consideration? It would bump me up to about a 3.2.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:43 pm

Except you just said you graduated. So there is no point in pretending you can up your GPA (or you're not accurately describing your situation, which means you won't get very accurate/helpful advice).

In any case, I would say that a 3.2 isn't a big enough difference to be worth spending time/money on more classes, if there's some way you could otherwise do it.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:25 am

aric wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:If you've received a BA, that GPA is the GPA that is reported to law schools and counts for their rankings. Classes taken post-award of the first undergrad degree don't count.
Ok, let's pretend that I can in fact take another semester and increase my uGPA. Should that be a consideration? It would bump me up to about a 3.2.
Ok, but let's not pretend, because you already graduated. And you can't raise your GPA after-the-fact, even if you really, truly believe that you can. LSAC will not count any classes taken after graduation towards your undergraduate GPA, even if your degree-granting institution does.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”