Opinions on "One-L of a Year" by Leah Christiansen? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
cyclawps

Bronze

Opinions on "One-L of a Year" by Leah Christiansen?

Post by cyclawps » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:52 pm

I'm looking for reading that will prepare me for 1L without going into substantive law (e.g. Getting to Maybe). I couldn't find any reviews of "One-L of a Year" on this forum. Has anyone read it?

mjb447

Silver

Re: Opinions on "One-L of a Year" by Leah Christiansen?

Post by mjb447 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:59 pm

I read it after I'd been practicing for a little bit. It's fine, but I don't think it's a must-read.

barkschool

Silver

Post by barkschool » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:02 pm

cyclawps wrote:I'm looking for reading that will prepare me for 1L without going into substantive law (e.g. Getting to Maybe). I couldn't find any reviews of "One-L of a Year" on this forum. Has anyone read it?
this is not responsive:

what are you trying to prepare for, there is nothing you can do beforehand

kay12345

New

Post by kay12345 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:15 pm

honestly you should just read this forum. those books are hokey.

NotSkadden

New

Post by NotSkadden » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:47 pm

I recommend reading these at your leisure One L of a Ride by Andrew McClurg and One L by Scott Turrow. Won't get you better grades, but it's nice seeing what others have gone through in the past and have some idea of what you're getting yourself into.

Also, this gold: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... p?t=123092

Edit: Link.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cyclawps

Bronze

Post by cyclawps » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:36 pm

barkschool wrote:
cyclawps wrote:I'm looking for reading that will prepare me for 1L without going into substantive law (e.g. Getting to Maybe). I couldn't find any reviews of "One-L of a Year" on this forum. Has anyone read it?
this is not responsive:

I agree that preparation can only go so far. However, it seems plain to me that certain skills that benefit law school success can be developed (e.g. reading speed, typing speed, analytic thinking, etc) in advance of 1L. Moreover, I think I'd find it helpful to get a pre-law school perspective on the general contours of 1L which might include broad comments on the social context, how briefs and outlines may or may not help, and study skills that enhance memorization. Exposure to this in advance of 1L can save time, which gives more time to prepare for exams.

I'm not searching for a legal bible or a pre-1L course. I'm trying to evaluate the merits of a book with respect to how it might enhance relevant skills or expose me to the general contours of 1L and helpful study skills.
Last edited by cyclawps on Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cyclawps

Bronze

Post by cyclawps » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:37 pm

NotSkadden wrote:I recommend reading these at your leisure One L of a Ride by Andrew McClurg and One L by Scott Turrow. Won't get you better grades, but it's nice seeing what others have gone through in the past and have some idea of what you're getting yourself into.

Thanks for the suggestions. I've looked at One L of a Ride and will probably read it. Do you think One L is accurate? I've continually heard that it borders on the hyperbolic.

That thread is indeed gold.

barkschool

Silver

Post by barkschool » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:53 pm

cyclawps wrote:
barkschool wrote:
this is not responsive:

I agree that preparation can only go so far. However, it seems plain to me that certain skills that benefit law school success can be developed (e.g. reading speed, typing speed, analytic thinking, etc) in advance of 1L. Moreover, I think I'd find it helpful to get a pre-law school perspective on the general contours of 1L which might include broad comments on the social context, how briefs and outlines may or may not help, and study skills that enhance memorization. Exposure to this in advance of 1L can save time, which gives more time to prepare for exams.

I'm not searching for a legal bible or a pre-1L course. I'm trying to evaluate the merits of a book with respect to how it might enhance relevant skills or expose me to the general contours of 1L and helpful study skills.
honestly, just memorization skills gets u deans list

NotSkadden

New

Post by NotSkadden » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:58 pm

cyclawps wrote:
NotSkadden wrote:I recommend reading these at your leisure One L of a Ride by Andrew McClurg and One L by Scott Turrow. Won't get you better grades, but it's nice seeing what others have gone through in the past and have some idea of what you're getting yourself into.

Thanks for the suggestions. I've looked at One L of a Ride and will probably read it. Do you think One L is accurate? I've continually heard that it borders on the hyperbolic.

That thread is indeed gold.
That's a fair characterization of One L, but I found it enjoyable and worthwhile. Can't say I learned much from it, however.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

GreenEggs

Gold

Post by GreenEggs » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:21 pm

just watch The Paper Chase and you'll be set
Last edited by GreenEggs on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:03 pm

Getting to Maybe is helpful. Some of the guides on TLS are helpful as well. If you read those two things, that's plenty.

If you have to scratch that 0L itch, look up resources on how to learn/study in law school, and don't try to actually learn/study law school things. It's helpful to know what to look out for and what to focus on from the get-go.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”