Chicago Big Law - Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Vincent Adultman

Silver

Re: Chicago Big Law - Taking Questions

Post by Vincent Adultman » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:52 pm

TatteredDignity wrote:For an associate with a non-working spouse, what's a reasonable amount of rent to pay? I'm trying to commute less than 30 mins each way, and $2200 seems like the minimum--at least for reasonably nice places.
That will get you a pretty nice one bedroom almost anywhere, depending on what you mean by "reasonably nice."

crazyeddie

New

Post by crazyeddie » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:55 pm

TatteredDignity wrote:For an associate with a non-working spouse, what's a reasonable amount of rent to pay? I'm trying to commute less than 30 mins each way, and $2200 seems like the minimum--at least for reasonably nice places.
Consider a two-bedroom so you can set up a home office. I also have a spouse and pay considerably more than $2200, but I have a 2 bedroom 2 bath with parking and a 10 min walk to my office. Setting yourself up for convenience is valuable in my opinion.

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:12 pm

We're looking at two-bedroom units for that exact reason--home office. A ten-minute walk would be fantastic. $2500 is sort of my upper limit, though. And even that makes me sick (never lived in a high COL city).

Vincent Adultman

Silver

Post by Vincent Adultman » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:24 pm

Two bedrooms will be a lot tougher but maybe doable. I would look at river north and south loop if you want a closer commute.

itsme123

New

Post by itsme123 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:30 pm

TatteredDignity wrote:We're looking at two-bedroom units for that exact reason--home office. A ten-minute walk would be fantastic. $2500 is sort of my upper limit, though. And even that makes me sick (never lived in a high COL city).
I pay around $2500 for a 2 bed, 1.5 bath in River North. Look into renting condos from private owners instead of renting from traditional apartment buildings. The prices for apartments in traditional buildings are much higher.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

303chiller

New

Post by 303chiller » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:56 pm

Do you know anyone who has lateraled from a major market (NY, SF) to Chicago? Is the jump possible without any strong family ties, etc.? What are the adjustments like for the laterals?

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:28 pm

1. I have no real ties to a Chicago but sort of lived there for six months. I'm a little above median at HLS. Are my lack of ties going to hurt me?

2. How is the market for buying condos/houses?

3. What's your impression of the Chicago economy? It seems like with the stagnant population growth and stuff it may not be the best time to enter the market?

Vincent Adultman

Silver

Post by Vincent Adultman » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:36 pm

Dcc617 wrote:1. I have no real ties to a Chicago but sort of lived there for six months. I'm a little above median at HLS. Are my lack of ties going to hurt me?
No. Just have a well thought out answer that justifies why you want to be there. The bigger the Chicago firm, the less they tend to care. They need bodies and also like to think of themselves as attractive enough to be like NYC in that everyone should want to be in Chicago. But it will still come up in the vast majority of interviews.
Dcc617 wrote:2. How is the market for buying condos/houses?
Hot - likely inflated and looks to only be getting hotter. Still cheaper than most major metros and doable. Property taxes will likely be increasing if the governor and Madigan can stop being idiots (so maybe property taxes won't be going up!).
Dcc617 wrote:3. What's your impression of the Chicago economy? It seems like with the stagnant population growth and stuff it may not be the best time to enter the market?
I mean I have no idea how the overall economy looks vis a vis the legal market. But the legal market is insanely hot right now. If you're doing transactional you will be more than fine. Still have good odds at litigation, too. So long as you are a good enough interviewer.

Network with lots of attorneys this summer. Are you in Chicago now?

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:41 pm

Dcc617 wrote:1. I have no real ties to a Chicago but sort of lived there for six months. I'm a little above median at HLS. Are my lack of ties going to hurt me?

2. How is the market for buying condos/houses?

3. What's your impression of the Chicago economy? It seems like with the stagnant population growth and stuff it may not be the best time to enter the market?
Definitely play up whatever "sort of lived there for six months" means.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

crazyeddie

New

Post by crazyeddie » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:17 pm

Martin Brody wrote:
No. Just have a well thought out answer that justifies why you want to be there. The bigger the Chicago firm, the less they tend to care. They need bodies and also like to think of themselves as attractive enough to be like NYC in that everyone should want to be in Chicago. But it will still come up in the vast majority of interviews.
Dcc617 wrote:2. How is the market for buying condos/houses?
Hot - likely inflated and looks to only be getting hotter. Still cheaper than most major metros and doable. Property taxes will likely be increasing if the governor and Madigan can stop being idiots (so maybe property taxes won't be going up!).
Dcc617 wrote:3. What's your impression of the Chicago economy? It seems like with the stagnant population growth and stuff it may not be the best time to enter the market?
I mean I have no idea how the overall economy looks vis a vis the legal market. But the legal market is insanely hot right now. If you're doing transactional you will be more than fine. Still have good odds at litigation, too. So long as you are a good enough interviewer.

Network with lots of attorneys this summer. Are you in Chicago now?
^Agree with this

crazyeddie

New

Post by crazyeddie » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:21 pm

303chiller wrote:Do you know anyone who has lateraled from a major market (NY, SF) to Chicago? Is the jump possible without any strong family ties, etc.? What are the adjustments like for the laterals?
Yes, I know multiple people who have lateraled from both NY and SF. If you do transactional work, you should have no problem transferring into a major CHI firm.

Not sure what adjustments for laterals is like w/r/t moving to a new city. As far as my firm goes, we don't view laterals any different after they have been here for a year or two and built relationships within the firm. Doesn't materially set you back, in my opinion.

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:47 pm

Any general thoughts on Winston? Specifically lit, if possible.

yyyuppp

Bronze

Post by yyyuppp » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:44 pm

TatteredDignity wrote:Any general thoughts on Winston? Specifically lit, if possible.
bumping to see if anyone can comment.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

yyyuppp

Bronze

Post by yyyuppp » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:44 pm

also, on the transactional side generally for chicago, can people speak to the in-house options? Chicago has a good amount of large corporations and all that, but its not teeming with them like NYC, and doesn't have the huge finance sector that NYC has. Do chicago transactional attorneys feel they have pretty good options for in-house? or is it a tough market?

Vincent Adultman

Silver

Post by Vincent Adultman » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:27 am

yyyuppp wrote:also, on the transactional side generally for chicago, can people speak to the in-house options? Chicago has a good amount of large corporations and all that, but its not teeming with them like NYC, and doesn't have the huge finance sector that NYC has. Do chicago transactional attorneys feel they have pretty good options for in-house? or is it a tough market?
I don't think anywhere is as good as NYC. But I wouldn't say there is a dearth of in-house opportunities. And I know of multiple people who have already gone in house in Chicago. You still have the option to go to NYC, too.

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:53 am

any advice for a shitigator looking to lateral in? (extremely strong ties)

New

Post by 12481632 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:34 pm

Looking for some general advice on housing. What is reasonable for Chicago rent for newer 1 bedroom/1bedroom w/ den?

Will be living with my spouse and we are looking to get 1 bedroom + den or large one bedroom close to our River North offices. My spouse works, but does not make biglaw salary, neither of us have outstanding loans and we will likely only be in Chicago for 3-5 years before we move back to much lower COL location.

Am I crazy to spend over ~$3000 on a newer, nice apartment in heart of downtown? Most of my friends are going to NYC and spending ridiculous amounts of money on rent, so maybe I'm just trying to justify paying that much even in a lower COL city like Chicago.

Either way, advice appreciated!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rokiv

New

Post by rokiv » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:31 pm

12481632 wrote:Looking for some general advice on housing. What is reasonable for Chicago rent for newer 1 bedroom/1bedroom w/ den?

Will be living with my spouse and we are looking to get 1 bedroom + den or large one bedroom close to our River North offices. My spouse works, but does not make biglaw salary, neither of us have outstanding loans and we will likely only be in Chicago for 3-5 years before we move back to much lower COL location.

Am I crazy to spend over ~$3000 on a newer, nice apartment in heart of downtown? Most of my friends are going to NYC and spending ridiculous amounts of money on rent, so maybe I'm just trying to justify paying that much even in a lower COL city like Chicago.

Either way, advice appreciated!
Nobody wants to live in the Loop—the heart of Downtown—it absolutely dies on the weekends and you’ll be inundated with tourists in the summer. Think like Midtown Manhattan, although not quite that busy.

You should be able to find a 1BR + flex/den in RN, South Loop, West Loop, and maybe even Old Town/Gold Coast for about $2500/month

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”