Give me a rundown on living as a law student Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
CatherineZetaScarn1

New

Give me a rundown on living as a law student

Post by CatherineZetaScarn1 » Thu May 25, 2017 12:21 pm

I'm a little (lot) worried about living on a loan budget. I've never not had a job because I like to go out when I want to go out and treat myself when I want to treat myself. What does that look like in law school?

Also I've been wondering, do people get on SNAP while in law school if they're not working?

I'm doing AmeriCorps right now so I have no problem living on a budget, I'm just trying to determine how much I'll need to save and what I should buy before law school.

cavalier1138

Re: Give me a rundown on living as a law student

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu May 25, 2017 12:27 pm

Well, you might have to forego treating yourself for a year or two (depending on what you do for your summer work and exactly what "treating yourself" actually entails), but you do not have to go on SNAP. Just look at the school's COL numbers, look at actual COL in the area, and budget accordingly. It's the same as any job, except you get all your "income" in advance.

Halltheway

New

Post by Halltheway » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:37 am

HIGHLY dependent on location. I would look at your school's cost of attendance because that is the max loan amount you are eligible for. Start there.

RCSOB657

Gold

Post by RCSOB657 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:42 am

Depends on the state your school is in. Those are state benefits. It also depends on your household situation, do you have children etc. In Ohio for instance, getting loans for COA/COL means no you can't double up and get food stamps too (unless maybe you have kids). I do qualify and do have medicaid for myself and now my wife. I couldn't get medicaid in Georgia as an undergrad.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”