What do you do for money during the semester Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
FutureAttorneyGen

New

What do you do for money during the semester

Post by FutureAttorneyGen » Tue May 23, 2017 7:04 pm

Hey everyone,

I'm a law school hopeful applying this fall for the 2018 cycle. My question for current law students, being that you are in school full time during the 9-10 month period, how do you make money if you're not working? What do you do for food and basic necessities, is it funded through the scholarship/loans you receive?

runinthefront

Gold

Re: What do you do for money during the semester

Post by runinthefront » Tue May 23, 2017 7:07 pm

FutureAttorneyGen wrote:Hey everyone,

I'm a law school hopeful applying this fall for the 2018 cycle. My question for current law students, being that you are in school full time during the 9-10 month period, how do you make money if you're not working? What do you do for food and basic necessities, is it funded through the scholarship/loans you receive?
Your entire cost of attendance can be funded through loans. There are ways to make money while in law school, but those options should be reserved for when you are a second- or third-year student. Your first year of law school should be spent entirely on studying, making friends with your peers, and maintaining sanity.
Last edited by runinthefront on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bluem_11

Bronze

Post by Bluem_11 » Wed May 24, 2017 3:09 pm

runinthefront wrote:

Your entire cost of attendance can be funded through loans. There are ways to make money while in law school, but those options should be reserved for when you are a second- or third-year student. Your first year of law school should be spent entirely on studying, making friends with your peers, and maintaining sanity.
I worked all through including first-year LS and did well grades-wise, but as this poster mentioned, I didn't have as much time to socialize and help make those future connections. Years later, I regret it somewhat.

browniestasty

Bronze

Post by browniestasty » Wed May 24, 2017 4:15 pm

Bluem_11 wrote:
runinthefront wrote:

I worked all through including first-year LS and did well grades-wise, but as this poster mentioned, I didn't have as much time to socialize and help make those future connections. Years later, I regret it somewhat.
Very similar to this. I worked full time as well and studied almost entirely on my own and did well. It was one of the reasons, but definitely not the only reason, that I finished 1L feeling rather disconnected from my classmates. A big part of it is I just never prioritized school.

lillawyer2

Silver

Post by lillawyer2 » Wed May 24, 2017 10:02 pm

runinthefront wrote:

Who pays the phone bill, buys food-gas? What if you want to go shopping-(Tommy the 1L has a hole in all his pants)?

Do Loans cover that too?

OP, I am going to keep my pt restaurant gig. I had it when I was younger. I quit after UG. After I quit my accounting job, I will go back. They love me! I will only work weekends. A few hours on Sat. Sun shouldn't hurt.

So thats about $200 a week in my pocket-for my phone bill, if i want to eat out/basic necessities.

I actually never thought about this until 2 months ago. I wanted to quit my "real" job in June, but then it hit me-how the heck am I going to pay to do the things I love? I decided to quit mid July.

I really think grad schools should give stipends out to students for this kind of stuff. At the grad level, not many parents are willing to take care of their kids again. Some peope don't have loved ones/friends to help them. Everything is loans, loans, loans. At times I wonder if the cost of education is just to ensnare the naive/unsuspecting individual into a bunch of debt-where he/she is to remain a slave to sallie mae working like a robot in a enviornment until their premature deaths at age 52 due to stress/hypertension.

I went on a tangent i apologize

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lillawyer2

Silver

Post by lillawyer2 » Wed May 24, 2017 10:05 pm

browniestasty wrote:
Bluem_11 wrote:
runinthefront wrote:

Very similar to this. I worked full time as well and studied almost entirely on my own and did well. It was one of the reasons, but definitely not the only reason, that I finished 1L feeling rather disconnected from my classmates. A big part of it is I just never prioritized school.
were you a pt student? do law students really socialize? i hope so, but with the amount of work load, i can't imagine there is much time. I read a couple threads here where students say law school itself is like a full time job (props to you being able to work and do well) except you dnt leave the office/class without work to bring home.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed May 24, 2017 10:09 pm

Yes, loans cover your phone bill and and food and gas and so on. Cost of attendance is the cost of living as well as tuition (within reason of course - you're not going to get loans to pay your car payment, let alone for a Ferrari. But food and basic necessities are factored in. How easily you can live on the amount depends on your budgeting skills, but it's generally very doable).

Levels of tuition are pretty crazy and should be addressed but since no one's required to go to grad school I'm not sure why cost of living should be paid for.

Re: socializing and law school being a full time job - of course law students socialize. If it comes to that people with full time jobs socialize.

lillawyer2

Silver

Post by lillawyer2 » Wed May 24, 2017 10:19 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Yes, loans cover your phone bill and and food and gas and so on. Cost of attendance is the cost of living as well as tuition (within reason of course - you're not going to get loans to pay your car payment, let alone for a Ferrari. But food and basic necessities are factored in. How easily you can live on the amount depends on your budgeting skills, but it's generally very doable).

Levels of tuition are pretty crazy and should be addressed but since no one's required to go to grad school I'm not sure why cost of living should be paid for.

Re: socializing and law school being a full time job - of course law students socialize. If it comes to that people with full time jobs socialize.
I did NOT know loans covered all this!

In UG i lived in the library/class/work. I have two best friends I hang out with occasionally. I did really well in UG. I didn't study much but had so many 30 page papers. I spent my life in front of the 4th floor library computer. I figure if reading and writting for law school is a lot worse than UG. My best and only friend will be my laptop.

I really want to make an effort to make friends in law school. I hope I can manage the work well.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu May 25, 2017 6:23 am

lillawyer2 wrote: OP, I am going to keep my pt restaurant gig. I had it when I was younger. I quit after UG. After I quit my accounting job, I will go back. They love me! I will only work weekends. A few hours on Sat. Sun shouldn't hurt.
This is one of those theories that you don't want to test during the first year of law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lillawyer2

Silver

Post by lillawyer2 » Thu May 25, 2017 7:34 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote: OP, I am going to keep my pt restaurant gig. I had it when I was younger. I quit after UG. After I quit my accounting job, I will go back. They love me! I will only work weekends. A few hours on Sat. Sun shouldn't hurt.
This is one of those theories that you don't want to test during the first year of law school.
So what did you do besides study during 1L?

Because if I can't take a few hours during the weekend to greet people, make small talk and help them find their table, how could i ever have time to make friends during law school, network, socialize or do anything other than study?

If I feel I am falling behind or losing focus working a few hours per week, I can always quit.

People have full time jobs and can still make law school a priority and do well. I fail to see your point.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu May 25, 2017 8:16 am

lillawyer2 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:

Because if I can't take a few hours during the weekend to greet people, make small talk and help them find their table, how could i ever have time to make friends during law school, network, socialize or do anything other than study?

If I feel I am falling behind or losing focus working a few hours per week, I can always quit.

People have full time jobs and can still make law school a priority and do well. I fail to see your point.
Look, you do you. But by the time you figure out that you're falling behind, you won't be in a position to catch up. Your 1L grades have a disproportionate effect on your future. I wouldn't gamble with them.

Also, unless those people are in part-time programs, there is no one doing well in law school who is simultaneously working 40 hours a week. I don't know where you picked up those stories, but I know absolutely no one putting in full-time job hours in addition to classes (outside of some of the more intensive clinics, which are for credit).

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Thu May 25, 2017 8:46 am

You have talked about everything except how to excel in law school. Your dad, your social life and now your job. It isn't at all like undergrad and you won't be writing 30 page papers for your grade.

lillawyer2

Silver

Post by lillawyer2 » Thu May 25, 2017 8:51 am

Npret wrote:You have talked about everything except how to excel in law school. Your dad, your social life and now your job. It isn't at all like undergrad and you won't be writing 30 page papers for your grade.
I have talked about everything except excelling in law school ON HERE. How is it fair for you to assess what I talk about or my concerns based on a forum? My dad doesn't have anything to do with this thread.

I questioned why having a pt job was such a gamble. It's a fair question since I am not pulling in many hours. I also can't justify taking out loans for bare necesssities.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lillawyer2

Silver

Post by lillawyer2 » Thu May 25, 2017 9:00 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:

Look, you do you. But by the time you figure out that you're falling behind, you won't be in a position to catch up. Your 1L grades have a disproportionate effect on your future. I wouldn't gamble with them.

Also, unless those people are in part-time programs, there is no one doing well in law school who is simultaneously working 40 hours a week. I don't know where you picked up those stories, but I know absolutely no one putting in full-time job hours in addition to classes (outside of some of the more intensive clinics, which are for credit).

Yes PT program for full time jobs. My point remains people can successfully do law school and work.

I also know people doing well in law school working pt jobs to supplement income. it is not unheard of.

you haven't really articulated why working a few hours sat. and sun. is a gamble. you just write i wouldn't do anything that can negatively effect your grades and for YOU working in any capacity may contribute to that.

However, anything can negatively effect your grades. studying too much or too litte, hanging out, sleeping, eating habits, poor work ethic, drinking, smoking, commuting, hobbies, family, friends, etc.

I think the right word here is balance. Everyone has to find their balance/rhythm. Most people are going to have to find a way to do xyz and study.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu May 25, 2017 9:16 am

lillawyer2 wrote: Yes PT program for full time jobs. My point remains people can successfully do law school and work.

I also know people doing well in law school working pt jobs to supplement income. it is not unheard of.

you haven't really articulated why working a few hours sat. and sun. is a gamble. you just write i wouldn't do anything that can negatively effect your grades and for YOU working in any capacity may contribute to that.

However, anything can negatively effect your grades. studying too much or too litte, hanging out, sleeping, eating habits, poor work ethic, drinking, smoking, commuting, hobbies, family, friends, etc.

I think the right word here is balance. Everyone has to find their balance/rhythm. Most people are going to have to find a way to do xyz and study.
I didn't say it was unheard of. I said it was a bad thing to experiment with in your first year. And it is a gamble, because you have no idea what kind of study schedule you'll need to keep, what extracurricular activities you may be involved in, what networking events you may need to go to, etc. You don't know any of that until you've been through at least a semester of law school. And if it turns out that working part-time is a bad idea for your schedule, you won't find out until it's too late in the semester to fix.

Again, you do whatever you want to do (well, maybe temper the overly defensive tone, even if you don't want to do that), but I'd highly recommend at least not working for the first semester. If you breeze through that and get grades that you're happy with, then consider whether you can/want to add a part-time job to your schedule.

lillawyer2

Silver

Post by lillawyer2 » Thu May 25, 2017 9:28 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote: Yes PT program for full time jobs. My point remains people can successfully do law school and work.

I didn't say it was unheard of. I said it was a bad thing to experiment with in your first year. And it is a gamble, because you have no idea what kind of study schedule you'll need to keep, what extracurricular activities you may be involved in, what networking events you may need to go to, etc. You don't know any of that until you've been through at least a semester of law school. And if it turns out that working part-time is a bad idea for your schedule, you won't find out until it's too late in the semester to fix.

Again, you do whatever you want to do (well, maybe temper the overly defensive tone, even if you don't want to do that), but I'd highly recommend at least not working for the first semester. If you breeze through that and get grades that you're happy with, then consider whether you can/want to add a part-time job to your schedule.

what?? tone.

i'm just confused. you make it seem like i am locked in. that i have to juggle when its really my call/choice.

i am not locked into a job. if i want to do an extra curricular and my job is in conflict the job goes. if there is are networking events that take place on the weekends, the job has goes or i don't go in that day. the job isn't keeping me from law school and law school isn't keeping me from my job. i am in control. there is no tug a war. the job is extremely flexible.

again it goes back to balance. you set things up within your parameters. i picked a job where i am well liked. where my employer has known me for a few years.where they are paying me a few extra an hour so i can work less but still make more. where they know i am going to law school. they know after the summer i will be in and out. whenever lillawyer needs a few bucks, put her on the schedule.

the op asked what are people are doing for extra money. this is what i am doing when i need money.

there are many things that can gamble and effect your law school grades-this will not be one of them

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Thu May 25, 2017 9:44 am

lillawyer2 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:

what?? tone.

i'm just confused. you make it seem like i am locked in. that i have to juggle when its really my call/choice.

i am not locked into a job. if i want to do an extra curricular and my job is in conflict the job goes. if there is are networking events that take place on the weekends, the job has goes or i don't go in that day. the job isn't keeping me from law school and law school isn't keeping me from my job. i am in control. there is no tug a war. the job is extremely flexible.

again it goes back to balance. you set things up within your parameters. i picked a job where i am well liked. where my employer has known me for a few years.where they are paying me a few extra an hour so i can work less but still make more. where they know i am going to law school. they know after the summer i will be in and out. whenever lillawyer needs a few bucks, put her on the schedule.

the op asked what are people are doing for extra money. this is what i am doing when i need money.

there are many things that can gamble and effect your law school grades-this will not be one of them
I mean...you didn't know you could take out loans to live...maybe just consider for a second you don't know what you're talking about, here, and actually think about the timeline cav is suggesting re: when you know your schedule has worked. Hint: it won't be a weekend where you say "i need to study this weekend". It'll more likely be in the winter when you get your grades back and you say "oh. That didnt work."

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lillawyer2

Silver

Post by lillawyer2 » Thu May 25, 2017 9:53 am

lymenheimer wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:

what?? tone.

I mean...you didn't know you could take out loans to live...maybe just consider for a second you don't know what you're talking about, here, and actually think about the timeline cav is suggesting re: when you know your schedule has worked. Hint: it won't be a weekend where you say "i need to study this weekend". It'll more likely be in the winter when you get your grades back and you say "oh. That didnt work."
not knowing i could take out loans to live doesn't mean i don't know whether i can handle a pt gig for a few hours. this does not make sense. maybe i don't kno about loans because i never needed them before and thats the simple answer to it.

cav doesn't know anymore about what i can handle than i do. i do not expect him/her to. i just think the prevailing attitude is pessimistic when it comes to working while in school, not considering many people have success with it-if they approach it in a way that works for them.

i can go on and talk about how drinking on weekends while in law school is too much of a gamble, and someone can disagree and say it actually works for them and makes sense, because of xyz (calms my nerves, helps me focus/relax, etc).

lillawyer2

Silver

Post by lillawyer2 » Thu May 25, 2017 10:00 am

i guess the easiest way to put this is the few hours on the weekend i decide to work would not be used to study, if i wasn't working.

if i am studying all week, and making time on weekends to study as well, the time allotted to work that day would be my time for me to relax and wind down (the walk to work is amazing/scenic)

so if i didn't do well during 1L i can't blame it on working.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu May 25, 2017 10:27 am

Dude. Calm down.

No one is saying that it isn't your choice. Of course it is. What people who have already been through their first year of law school are telling you is that you probably shouldn't bite off more than you can chew in the first year (or at least the first semester). And you won't know what "more than you can chew" entails until it's too late to fix things. More importantly, you're comparing a job that you plan on using to pay for necessities to an extracurricular commitment. It's not the same. If you haven't taken out loans to cover-- oh, I dunno --food for the semester, then you're not going to be in a position to take a weekend off once you realize that you're behind.

You will, of course, do whatever you want to do. But please bear in mind that you haven't been through law school yet, so you really don't know what impact part-time work will have on your grades.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu May 25, 2017 10:41 am

I worked second semester 1L, minimal hours, and it was fine. I do think it makes sense to hold off during first semester, just because there's a big psychological adjustment to learning how law school works (and if you're working few enough hours not to affect your studies, it's probably not enough money to make a real difference in your life).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lillawyer2

Silver

Post by lillawyer2 » Thu May 25, 2017 11:44 am

cavalier1138 wrote:Dude. Calm down.

No one is saying that it isn't your choice. Of course it is. What people who have already been through their first year of law school are telling you is that you probably shouldn't bite off more than you can chew in the first year (or at least the first semester). And you won't know what "more than you can chew" entails until it's too late to fix things. More importantly, you're comparing a job that you plan on using to pay for necessities to an extracurricular commitment. It's not the same. If you haven't taken out loans to cover-- oh, I dunno --food for the semester, then you're not going to be in a position to take a weekend off once you realize that you're behind.

You will, of course, do whatever you want to do. But please bear in mind that you haven't been through law school yet, so you really don't know what impact part-time work will have on your grades.
i am sorry you feel i am not calm.

i just don't think your looking at it simplisticlly. you are drumming up worse case scenarios. the only bind and gamble are the scenarios your are making up in your head, as to how and why i would fail at working/going to law achool.

lillawyer2

Silver

Post by lillawyer2 » Thu May 25, 2017 11:46 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I worked second semester 1L, minimal hours, and it was fine. I do think it makes sense to hold off during first semester, just because there's a big psychological adjustment to learning how law school works (and if you're working few enough hours not to affect your studies, it's probably not enough money to make a real difference in your life).
its enough money for my phone bill, food and the simple pleasures in life. i also wrote they upped my $$/per hour so i would make more for less time.

thanks

B90

Silver

Post by B90 » Thu May 25, 2017 11:48 am

ABA rules require that full time students only work up to 20 hours per week. If you work more than 20 hours per week, the rule says you must enroll in a part time program. The ABA "strongly advises against" working AT ALL as a 1L. It is up to the individual school to "police" this, or risk losing accredidation.

Here is how this plays out:
Law schools don't give out work study grants to 1Ls, nor do they employ 1Ls (day students).
If your law school has a part time program, you will likely need to sign a contract promising to not work more than 20 hours while enrolled in law school as a full time student. If you are not asked to sign such a contract, it likely means your school does not care about retaining accreditation (either because it is respected enough to not have its accredidation in danger or the Dean is ignorant).
You should also be aware that your resume is part of your part app. and some states contact employers. This could cause C and F issues. Furthermore, state bars routinely request copies of your tax returns, which will show how many hours you worked during law school.

Lack of disclosure, real or perceived, can lead to lack of bar admittance.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Thu May 25, 2017 12:09 pm

lillawyer2 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:I worked second semester 1L, minimal hours, and it was fine. I do think it makes sense to hold off during first semester, just because there's a big psychological adjustment to learning how law school works (and if you're working few enough hours not to affect your studies, it's probably not enough money to make a real difference in your life).
its enough money for my phone bill, food and the simple pleasures in life. i also wrote they upped my $$/per hour so i would make more for less time.

thanks
I thought your Dad bought your food and that's why you lived at home?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”