What do you do for money during the semester Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
runinthefront

Gold

Re: What do you do for money during the semester

Post by runinthefront » Thu May 25, 2017 12:12 pm

B90 wrote:ABA rules require that full time students only work up to 20 hours per week. If you work more than 20 hours per week, the rule says you must enroll in a part time program. The ABA "strongly advises against" working AT ALL as a 1L. It is up to the individual school to "police" this, or risk losing accredidation.

Here is how this plays out:
Law schools don't give out work study grants to 1Ls, nor do they employ 1Ls (day students).
If your law school has a part time program, you will likely need to sign a contract promising to not work more than 20 hours while enrolled in law school as a full time student. If you are not asked to sign such a contract, it likely means your school does not care about retaining accreditation (either because it is respected enough to not have its accredidation in danger or the Dean is ignorant).
You should also be aware that your resume is part of your part app. and some states contact employers. This could cause C and F issues. Furthermore, state bars routinely request copies of your tax returns, which will show how many hours you worked during law school.

Lack of disclosure, real or perceived, can lead to lack of bar admittance.
The old rule has been repealed.

https://www.americanbar.org/content/dam ... eckdam.pdf

However, at the end of the day, no one on this board cares what OP (or the other poster) does. If someone wants to risk their first-semester 1L grades on working 8-16 hours a week, that's up to them. Maybe it won't make a difference. Maybe it will. The couple thousand bucks you'll make over the course of the semester is surely worth the gamble, right?
Last edited by runinthefront on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu May 25, 2017 12:14 pm

lillawyer2 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:Dude. Calm down.

No one is saying that it isn't your choice. Of course it is. What people who have already been through their first year of law school are telling you is that you probably shouldn't bite off more than you can chew in the first year (or at least the first semester). And you won't know what "more than you can chew" entails until it's too late to fix things. More importantly, you're comparing a job that you plan on using to pay for necessities to an extracurricular commitment. It's not the same. If you haven't taken out loans to cover-- oh, I dunno --food for the semester, then you're not going to be in a position to take a weekend off once you realize that you're behind.

You will, of course, do whatever you want to do. But please bear in mind that you haven't been through law school yet, so you really don't know what impact part-time work will have on your grades.
i am sorry you feel i am not calm.

i just don't think your looking at it simplisticlly. you are drumming up worse case scenarios. the only bind and gamble are the scenarios your are making up in your head, as to how and why i would fail at working/going to law achool.
For the last time, I never said you would fail. I said that you don't know. You don't know what law school is like. You don't know what kind of study schedule you'll need to keep. You don't know what extra time commitments you might have once the semester starts. You have absolutely no idea until you get there, and if it turns out that you can't actually handle your part-time job in addition to studying, you won't be in a position to fix it.

From a brief glance at your post history, you're targeting biglaw/AUSA goals from Fordham. Without commenting on whether this is a good plan, you will need top grades in 1L to have a shot at those goals. So you can't afford to be wrong about your ability to handle a part-time job in addition to a full-time class load.

lillawyer2

Silver

Post by lillawyer2 » Thu May 25, 2017 12:29 pm

Npret wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:I worked second semester 1L, minimal hours, and it was fine. I do think it makes sense to hold off during first semester, just because there's a big psychological adjustment to learning how law school works (and if you're working few enough hours not to affect your studies, it's probably not enough money to make a real difference in your life).
its enough money for my phone bill, food and the simple pleasures in life. i also wrote they upped my $$/per hour so i would make more for less time.

thanks
I thought your Dad bought your food and that's why you lived at home?
you thought i lived at home for free groceries? naturally one would get that i an living with him for free rent-food is a bonus.

to answer your question,
sometimes i like to eat out. im on my own for that.

lillawyer2

Silver

Post by lillawyer2 » Thu May 25, 2017 12:34 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:Dude. Calm down.

No one is saying that it isn't your choice. Of course it is. What people who have already been through their first year of law school are telling you is that you probably shouldn't bite off more than you can chew in the first year (or at least the first semester). And you won't know what "more than you can chew" entails until it's too late to fix things. More importantly, you're comparing a job that you plan on using to pay for necessities to an extracurricular commitment. It's not the same. If you haven't taken out loans to cover-- oh, I dunno --food for the semester, then you're not going to be in a position to take a weekend off once you realize that you're behind.

You will, of course, do whatever you want to do. But please bear in mind that you haven't been through law school yet, so you really don't know what impact part-time work will have on your grades.
i am sorry you feel i am not calm.

i just don't think your looking at it simplisticlly. you are drumming up worse case scenarios. the only bind and gamble are the scenarios your are making up in your head, as to how and why i would fail at working/going to law achool.
For the last time, I never said you would fail. I said that you don't know. You don't know what law school is like. You don't know what kind of study schedule you'll need to keep. You don't know what extra time commitments you might have once the semester starts. You have absolutely no idea until you get there, and if it turns out that you can't actually handle your part-time job in addition to studying, you won't be in a position to fix it.

From a brief glance at your post history, you're targeting biglaw/AUSA goals from Fordham. Without commenting on whether this is a good plan, you will need top grades in 1L to have a shot at those goals. So you can't afford to be wrong about your ability to handle a part-time job in addition to a full-time class load.
here we will compromise. i will defer to you, because you know 1L. Classes start Aug 28th or around there. I'll take a leave of absense from work, because giving you the benefit of the doubt won't hurt me. i'll save and have enough from that job to handle the semester.

i will come back to you with my opinions on how tough 1l was for me to grasp..study habits/extracurriculars..etc Plus let you know whether i think i can handle my job.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu May 25, 2017 12:35 pm

lillawyer2 wrote:i will come back to you with my opinions on how tough 1l was for me to grasp..study habits/extracurriculars..etc Plus let you know whether i think i can handle my job.
Please don't.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lillawyer2

Silver

Post by lillawyer2 » Thu May 25, 2017 12:44 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:i will come back to you with my opinions on how tough 1l was for me to grasp..study habits/extracurriculars..etc Plus let you know whether i think i can handle my job.
Please don't.

ok good. i was just being overly accomodating. thanks for understanding

beepboopbeep

Gold

Post by beepboopbeep » Thu May 25, 2017 12:52 pm

lillawyer2 wrote:
i will come back to you with my opinions on how tough 1l was for me to grasp..study habits/extracurriculars..etc Plus let you know whether i think i can handle my job.
How about after OCI? That said,
cavalier1138 wrote: Please don't.
I just don't get these threads where people ask for advice and then get mad at people who give it. I know you didn't start the thread but you've assumed the role of OP so close enough.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu May 25, 2017 12:56 pm

beepboopbeep wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:
I just don't get these threads where people ask for advice and then get mad at people who give it. I know you didn't start the thread but you've assumed the role of OP so close enough.
To be fair, lillawyer never actually asked for advice. They just advocated working during 1L to make some sweet, sweet cheddar and then proceeded to tell former/current law students that they didn't know what they were talking about.

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Thu May 25, 2017 1:11 pm

lillawyer2 wrote:
lymenheimer wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote: Yes PT program for full time jobs. My point remains people can successfully do law school and work.

I also know people doing well in law school working pt jobs to supplement income. it is not unheard of.

you haven't really articulated why working a few hours sat. and sun. is a gamble. you just write i wouldn't do anything that can negatively effect your grades and for YOU working in any capacity may contribute to that.

However, anything can negatively effect your grades. studying too much or too litte, hanging out, sleeping, eating habits, poor work ethic, drinking, smoking, commuting, hobbies, family, friends, etc.

I think the right word here is balance. Everyone has to find their balance/rhythm. Most people are going to have to find a way to do xyz and study.
I didn't say it was unheard of. I said it was a bad thing to experiment with in your first year. And it is a gamble, because you have no idea what kind of study schedule you'll need to keep, what extracurricular activities you may be involved in, what networking events you may need to go to, etc. You don't know any of that until you've been through at least a semester of law school. And if it turns out that working part-time is a bad idea for your schedule, you won't find out until it's too late in the semester to fix.

Again, you do whatever you want to do (well, maybe temper the overly defensive tone, even if you don't want to do that), but I'd highly recommend at least not working for the first semester. If you breeze through that and get grades that you're happy with, then consider whether you can/want to add a part-time job to your schedule.

what?? tone.

i'm just confused. you make it seem like i am locked in. that i have to juggle when its really my call/choice.

i am not locked into a job. if i want to do an extra curricular and my job is in conflict the job goes. if there is are networking events that take place on the weekends, the job has goes or i don't go in that day. the job isn't keeping me from law school and law school isn't keeping me from my job. i am in control. there is no tug a war. the job is extremely flexible.

again it goes back to balance. you set things up within your parameters. i picked a job where i am well liked. where my employer has known me for a few years.where they are paying me a few extra an hour so i can work less but still make more. where they know i am going to law school. they know after the summer i will be in and out. whenever lillawyer needs a few bucks, put her on the schedule.

the op asked what are people are doing for extra money. this is what i am doing when i need money.

there are many things that can gamble and effect your law school grades-this will not be one of them
I mean...you didn't know you could take out loans to live...maybe just consider for a second you don't know what you're talking about, here, and actually think about the timeline cav is suggesting re: when you know your schedule has worked. Hint: it won't be a weekend where you say "i need to study this weekend". It'll more likely be in the winter when you get your grades back and you say "oh. That didnt work."
not knowing i could take out loans to live doesn't mean i don't know whether i can handle a pt gig for a few hours. this does not make sense. maybe i don't kno about loans because i never needed them before and thats the simple answer to it.

cav doesn't know anymore about what i can handle than i do. i do not expect him/her to. i just think the prevailing attitude is pessimistic when it comes to working while in school, not considering many people have success with it-if they approach it in a way that works for them.

i can go on and talk about how drinking on weekends while in law school is too much of a gamble, and someone can disagree and say it actually works for them and makes sense, because of xyz (calms my nerves, helps me focus/relax, etc).
Your analysis on each of your posts on TLS, and particularly here, suggests that you will perform miserably in law school. So you may want to stay on that pt gig so you'll have something for when you graduate jobless.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lillawyer2

Silver

Post by lillawyer2 » Thu May 25, 2017 1:36 pm

lymenheimer wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:
lymenheimer wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote: Yes PT program for full time jobs. My point remains people can successfully do law school and work.

I also know people doing well in law school working pt jobs to supplement income. it is not unheard of.

you haven't really articulated why working a few hours sat. and sun. is a gamble. you just write i wouldn't do anything that can negatively effect your grades and for YOU working in any capacity may contribute to that.

However, anything can negatively effect your grades. studying too much or too litte, hanging out, sleeping, eating habits, poor work ethic, drinking, smoking, commuting, hobbies, family, friends, etc.

I think the right word here is balance. Everyone has to find their balance/rhythm. Most people are going to have to find a way to do xyz and study.
I didn't say it was unheard of. I said it was a bad thing to experiment with in your first year. And it is a gamble, because you have no idea what kind of study schedule you'll need to keep, what extracurricular activities you may be involved in, what networking events you may need to go to, etc. You don't know any of that until you've been through at least a semester of law school. And if it turns out that working part-time is a bad idea for your schedule, you won't find out until it's too late in the semester to fix.

Again, you do whatever you want to do (well, maybe temper the overly defensive tone, even if you don't want to do that), but I'd highly recommend at least not working for the first semester. If you breeze through that and get grades that you're happy with, then consider whether you can/want to add a part-time job to your schedule.

what?? tone.

i'm just confused. you make it seem like i am locked in. that i have to juggle when its really my call/choice.

i am not locked into a job. if i want to do an extra curricular and my job is in conflict the job goes. if there is are networking events that take place on the weekends, the job has goes or i don't go in that day. the job isn't keeping me from law school and law school isn't keeping me from my job. i am in control. there is no tug a war. the job is extremely flexible.

again it goes back to balance. you set things up within your parameters. i picked a job where i am well liked. where my employer has known me for a few years.where they are paying me a few extra an hour so i can work less but still make more. where they know i am going to law school. they know after the summer i will be in and out. whenever lillawyer needs a few bucks, put her on the schedule.

the op asked what are people are doing for extra money. this is what i am doing when i need money.

there are many things that can gamble and effect your law school grades-this will not be one of them
I mean...you didn't know you could take out loans to live...maybe just consider for a second you don't know what you're talking about, here, and actually think about the timeline cav is suggesting re: when you know your schedule has worked. Hint: it won't be a weekend where you say "i need to study this weekend". It'll more likely be in the winter when you get your grades back and you say "oh. That didnt work."
not knowing i could take out loans to live doesn't mean i don't know whether i can handle a pt gig for a few hours. this does not make sense. maybe i don't kno about loans because i never needed them before and thats the simple answer to it.

cav doesn't know anymore about what i can handle than i do. i do not expect him/her to. i just think the prevailing attitude is pessimistic when it comes to working while in school, not considering many people have success with it-if they approach it in a way that works for them.

i can go on and talk about how drinking on weekends while in law school is too much of a gamble, and someone can disagree and say it actually works for them and makes sense, because of xyz (calms my nerves, helps me focus/relax, etc).
Your analysis on each of your posts on TLS, and particularly here, suggests that you will perform miserably in law school. So you may want to stay on that pt gig so you'll have something for when you graduate jobless.
i have enough connects for that not to happen, but how long can i keep the job...idk

lillawyer2

Silver

Post by lillawyer2 » Thu May 25, 2017 1:37 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
beepboopbeep wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:
To be fair, lillawyer never actually asked for advice. They just advocated working during 1L to make some sweet, sweet cheddar and then proceeded to tell former/current law students that they didn't know what they were talking about.

hey! i didn't advocate the op asked what ppl were doing for extra cash.

i also didn't say u didn't know what you were talking about-i just think my situation isn't as hectic or going to reflect badly on me as you think possible

beepboopbeep

Gold

Post by beepboopbeep » Thu May 25, 2017 2:20 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Aight fair nuff

That's not like substantially better ofc

B90

Silver

Post by B90 » Fri May 26, 2017 5:32 am

runinthefront wrote:
B90 wrote:ABA rules require that full time students only work up to 20 hours per week. If you work more than 20 hours per week, the rule says you must enroll in a part time program. The ABA "strongly advises against" working AT ALL as a 1L. It is up to the individual school to "police" this, or risk losing accredidation.

Here is how this plays out:
Law schools don't give out work study grants to 1Ls, nor do they employ 1Ls (day students).
If your law school has a part time program, you will likely need to sign a contract promising to not work more than 20 hours while enrolled in law school as a full time student. If you are not asked to sign such a contract, it likely means your school does not care about retaining accreditation (either because it is respected enough to not have its accredidation in danger or the Dean is ignorant).
You should also be aware that your resume is part of your part app. and some states contact employers. This could cause C and F issues. Furthermore, state bars routinely request copies of your tax returns, which will show how many hours you worked during law school.

Lack of disclosure, real or perceived, can lead to lack of bar admittance.
The old rule has been repealed.

https://www.americanbar.org/content/dam ... eckdam.pdf

However, at the end of the day, no one on this board cares what OP (or the other poster) does. If someone wants to risk their first-semester 1L grades on working 8-16 hours a week, that's up to them. Maybe it won't make a difference. Maybe it will. The couple thousand bucks you'll make over the course of the semester is surely worth the gamble, right?
Thank you for posting this. I was actually at my law school's computer lab today ("free" alumni printing) and there was a 1L working at the desk. I like your explanation much better than the one that first popped into my head.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”