Has Anyone Heard of the NYU Master of Studies in Law in Taxation Program? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
lilydenris

New

Has Anyone Heard of the NYU Master of Studies in Law in Taxation Program?

Post by lilydenris » Fri May 19, 2017 5:59 pm

Hi Everyone,

Long time lurker here and first time to post. Just wondering if anyone has heard of the Masters of Studies in Law in Taxation program offered by NYU law school: http://www.law.nyu.edu/msltax/program-overview? This is a part-time online only program. I know most ppl on this forum are on their path of becoming lawyers, so this program is not really relevant (it's intended for people who are not lawyers). Posting it here because the courses are said to be the same as the ones offered in LLM, which is really tempting to me since I'm not a JD but very interested in learning more about tax law.

Some background about myself: I'm a CPA, currently a senior in one of the big 4 accounting firms. I do mostly tax provisions and compliance work, but want to move into more of a tax planning/consulting role, like M&A tax or International tax. If you happen to know someone who has attended this program or if you are an tax lawyer, could you please share some insights as to how much added value this program would offer? Thanks!

lilydenris

New

Re: Has Anyone Heard of the NYU Master of Studies in Law in Taxation Program?

Post by lilydenris » Sun May 21, 2017 4:32 pm

Bumpppp

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sun May 21, 2017 5:37 pm

lilydenris wrote:Bumpppp
You can bump all you like, but the chances of anyone on this board knowing much about a non-law masters at a specific school are close to zero. Reach out to the school; I'm sure they can put you in touch with a student or some alumni.

lilydenris

New

Post by lilydenris » Mon May 22, 2017 12:04 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
lilydenris wrote:Bumpppp
You can bump all you like, but the chances of anyone on this board knowing much about a non-law masters at a specific school are close to zero. Reach out to the school; I'm sure they can put you in touch with a student or some alumni.
Thanks for your input, will talk to a current student next week actually. I guess I just want to see a tax attorney's opinion on this program, or on the tax LLM (since it's basically the same content). How much did you learn from a tax LLM? Is it really helpful to a career as tax attorney/consultant?

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Mon May 22, 2017 2:48 am

1. Is your firm paying for it? If not don't do it.
2. Has your firm given you some kind of explicit assurance of a transfer if you finish this program? If not, don't do it.

An llm will 100% make you more technical. However, you can accomplish your goals without an llm course load. I also suspect you won't be able to keep up with a llm course load as a senior.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

polareagle

Bronze

Post by polareagle » Mon May 22, 2017 8:54 am

dabigchina wrote:1. Is your firm paying for it? If not don't do it.
2. Has your firm given you some kind of explicit assurance of a transfer if you finish this program? If not, don't do it.

An llm will 100% make you more technical. However, you can accomplish your goals without an llm course load. I also suspect you won't be able to keep up with a llm course load as a senior.
S/he's not talking about an LLM.

lilydenris

New

Post by lilydenris » Tue May 23, 2017 8:23 pm

Thanks a lot! This is really great advice, especially from someone who knows the big 4 life. I will definitely try internal transfer first and see if my technical needs help from this program.

lilydenris

New

Post by lilydenris » Tue May 23, 2017 8:25 pm

polareagle wrote:

S/he's not talking about an LLM.
It claims to have the same content, but the student can choose to finish in 2-5 yrs. So basically a less stressful LLM?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”