does taking long to graduate college hurt you with 3.3/177 Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
nylawapplicant2017

New

does taking long to graduate college hurt you with 3.3/177

Post by nylawapplicant2017 » Fri May 12, 2017 6:20 pm

So, my lsac gpa is a 3.3 and my LSAT is a 177. Don't quote me, but I think some have snagged Top 14 acceptances with 3.3/177 so those numbers aren't depressing

However, I have been in college (undergrad) for 10 years. Awful I know. Just had a lot of life situations . . . two sick parents, and my own health issues. Furthermore, while my law school gpa is 3.3, which is the number admcomms look at, when they see my transcript I didn't start out with a 3.3.

I actually, had a 2.5-2.8 the first 6 years, but have a straight A trend the last four years. So, I just feel that the fact I have been in undergrad 10 years, coupled with only having stellar grades the last four of the 10 years, my gpa will be worthless because it will look like I just stayed in school to boost my gpa.

So, with my 3.3 (under above circumstances)/177 still yield some good results? Isnt a 3.3 and 10 years in school better then someone with a 2.9 in 4 years? In this case will my 4 year upward trend be meaningless because it looked like I was just trying to make up for lost time at the end?

Platopus

Gold

Re: does taking long to graduate college hurt you with 3.3/177

Post by Platopus » Fri May 12, 2017 6:34 pm

It's going to be really hard to say what will happen with your numbers. Part of me wants to say that schools will selectively ignore the fact that you took 10 years to finish UG, part of me thinks some schools will care. That said, I'd still rather have your 3.3 than a 2.9.

whats an updog

Bronze

Post by whats an updog » Fri May 12, 2017 7:03 pm

You'll be fine. Took me about 10 years in between taking my first community college class and finally graduating from a 4 year school that I had eventually transferred to. I had a similar lsat with an overall lsac gpa of 2.8 (higher degree gpa). I had pretty good success among the t14. Law schools will not care at all, or if they do, it will be at the extreme margins. They are numbers focused.

fazzvm56

Bronze

Post by fazzvm56 » Mon May 15, 2017 10:41 am

You still have 177, which is really hard to beat. I would just write a compelling PS and/or diversity and/or optional statement about your situation and it will probably be easier for them to get past that factor. It's still a 177 and a 3.3 isn't that bad.

NotAGolfer

Silver

Post by NotAGolfer » Mon May 15, 2017 10:42 am

I have very similar numbers and was accepted to several T13s this cycle. Numbers wise, you'll be fine, absent other glaring application/C&F issues. You will definitely want to put together an addendum to explain the 10 years though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

IExistedOnceBefore

Bronze

Post by IExistedOnceBefore » Wed May 17, 2017 9:01 am

I'm going to be a bit more cynical. Absolutely apply everywhere because that 177 is amazing, but are your health concerns under control? Taking ten years for health concerns is very different that working full time while collecting bachelors credits. It makes the law school unsure if you'll finish.

Your cycle will be unpredictable regardless. Put together the strongest ap you can and apply broadly.

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Wed May 17, 2017 10:15 am

I took 8 years to finish undergrad. I'd say in the end I actually over-performed my numbers (especially GPA). Just be prepared to address the why of the 10 year timeline, both in your application and in potential interviews (it came up in every single interview I did).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”