Can Non-Citizens Work For Government Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
MangoPapi

New

Can Non-Citizens Work For Government

Post by MangoPapi » Fri May 12, 2017 6:04 pm

Hey everyone, I got a potentially dumb question. I'm an international (Canadian) and I was just wondering if I can work for the government for example SEC or DOJ (I understand these jobs will be extremely competitive), even though I'm not an American citizen? If it matters, I won't require sponsorship (H1b) since I'm under NAFTA

throwaway_

New

Re: Can Non-Citizens Work For Government

Post by throwaway_ » Fri May 12, 2017 6:22 pm

https://www.sec.gov/ohr/student-honors-page.html

Program requirements
Students must be U.S. Citizens.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri May 12, 2017 7:46 pm

yeah, DOJ requires citizenship. I think most if not all federal positions will.

MangoPapi

New

Post by MangoPapi » Sat May 13, 2017 10:51 am

I figured as much. Thanks for the help!

throwaway_

New

Post by throwaway_ » Sat May 13, 2017 11:00 am

MangoPapi wrote:I figured as much. Thanks for the help!
No restriction on state government work, though, if you're any interested in that.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Sat May 13, 2017 11:02 am

throwaway_ wrote:
No restriction on state government work, though, if you're any interested in that.
Don't you have to have a green card though? I don't know the answer to that question.

throwaway_

New

Post by throwaway_ » Sat May 13, 2017 11:22 am

Npret wrote:
throwaway_ wrote:
Don't you have to have a green card though? I don't know the answer to that question.
Assuming he's just thinking about summer work then CPT/OPT is fine. Long-term sponsorship is obviously an issue, though.

MangoPapi

New

Post by MangoPapi » Sat May 13, 2017 11:53 am

throwaway_ wrote:
Npret wrote:
throwaway_ wrote:
Assuming he's just thinking about summer work then CPT/OPT is fine. Long-term sponsorship is obviously an issue, though.
I was asking for long-term, not for the summer. It seems like for long-term I need to be a citizen to work for any level of government, which makes sense. It's safe to assume that governments don't sponsor H1B's right?

throwaway_

New

Post by throwaway_ » Sat May 13, 2017 12:34 pm

Yes, but.

Say you meet a nice American girl/guy and get a green card. You'll still be barred from working for the SEC. But no problem then working for the City Attorney of San Francisco, etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mr. Blackacre

Bronze

Post by Mr. Blackacre » Sat May 13, 2017 1:49 pm

throwaway_ wrote:Yes, but.

Say you meet a nice American girl/guy and get a green card. You'll still be barred from working for the SEC. But no problem then working for the City Attorney of San Francisco, etc.
And you'd be able to clerk at the federal level and actually be paid too.

MangoPapi

New

Post by MangoPapi » Sat May 13, 2017 1:57 pm

Thank you for clarifying the fact that I'd still not be able to work for the SEC despite getting a green card. I incorrectly assumed that upon getting a green card, I'd be eligible to work for the SEC or DOJ but it seems that I'd have to be born in the States for that to occur

Mr. Blackacre

Bronze

Post by Mr. Blackacre » Sat May 13, 2017 4:43 pm

MangoPapi wrote:

Thank you for clarifying the fact that I'd still not be able to work for the SEC despite getting a green card. I incorrectly assumed that upon getting a green card, I'd be eligible to work for the SEC or DOJ but it seems that I'd have to be born in the States for that to occur
No you don't have to be born here. You just have to be a citizen; you can be naturalized and it'd be fine. The only thing that's difficult as a naturalized citizen is jobs that require a security clearance, and 99% of lawyer jobs don't. Even then, with a little shuffling around, getting a secret or TS clearance is possible as a naturalized citizen if you have no worrying contacts abroad and tick the right boxes.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”