Suggest some firms for OCI Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
morningstar

Bronze

Suggest some firms for OCI

Post by morningstar » Sun May 07, 2017 8:05 pm

Hey all, I'm hoping I can get some suggestions. I'm looking for firms that I'm a strong candidate for getting a SA position. I'm at a T14 school, and I'm roughly median in most classes (although I did get the award for being the best in my class in Contracts). I have VERY limited (read: pretty much none) extracurriculars during my law school career. I also took a year off during my 1L fall and 1L spring semesters for personal/medical reasons (was pregnant, child born prematurely, passed away shortly after).

My target markets are:

Orange County, CA (top choice)
Los Angeles, CA
All Texas markets (close to family)
Other Midwest markets (Chicago, etc.)
New York
DC

I'm willing to expand my target markets to...well...pretty much anywhere, considering my limited ECs and middle-of-the-road performance, not to mention the year break that might give some employers pause (not so much if I explained it, but that's probably not terribly appropriate during a biglaw interview).

Again, just some firm-specific (or even firm AND office specific if you have that info) recommendations would be greatly, GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks all.

cron1834

Gold

Re: Suggest some firms for OCI

Post by cron1834 » Sun May 07, 2017 8:52 pm

You've included 4 of the 4 largest markets, plus all of Texas and the Midwest, in your search parameters. You're going to need to narrow it down if you want targeted suggestions.

More importantly, your school probably has the data that answers this for you. At my T14, we have access to data that tells us how many offers each firm made at the previous few rounds of OCI, and what the GPAs were like for those students. So, you can self-select with some information as to where you're a plausible candidate. Try to find something like that from your career office.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: Suggest some firms for OCI

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun May 07, 2017 8:56 pm

Hi - we don't allow duplicate threads so I'm going to lock this one (and I think you will get more/just as helpful advice in the legal employment forum).

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”