Don't give a shit about my coworkers Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
BlendedUnicorn

Platinum

Don't give a shit about my coworkers

Post by BlendedUnicorn » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:23 pm

Hi everyone. I'm neither a 0l nor a paralegal at a v20, but if I were I would have the following question:
Hi everyone,

I am a paralegal at a v20 firm. Our firm, like many others, hosts staff events to promote a friendly environment. The thing is, I am indifferent towards my coworkers, and would rather work than attend these events. The HR dept is always questioning my absence at these events. I'm starting law school this fall, and can't wait to hand in my two weeks notice. However, in the event that I would need a reference letter from my employer, am I shooting myself in the foot by not being more social? I do my job well, and get along with everyone, I just don't attend these mind numbing events.
On the other hand, if I'd been on the other side of OCI I would say that it's definitely worth the effort making an appearance at these things and socializing a little bit. Downside seems small and the potential networking/consuming free stuff upside is pretty large.

dabigchina

Gold

Re: Don't give a shit about my coworkers

Post by dabigchina » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:40 pm

My personal theory has always been, if HR is arsed about it to mention it to you, it's a big enough deal for you to make the effort.

Bob loblaw law blog

Bronze

Post by Bob loblaw law blog » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:49 pm

Flame. No one could actually be dumb enough to think that the "someone who totally isn't me has a question" shtick would protect them if someone found this. Also, this person joined tls all of 24 hours ago.

BlendedUnicorn

Platinum

Post by BlendedUnicorn » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:54 pm

Bob loblaw law blog wrote:Flame. No one could actually be dumb enough to think that the "someone who totally isn't me has a question" shtick would protect them if someone found this. Also, this person joined tls all of 24 hours ago.
Good analysis but I can guarantee you that I am actually not a v20 paralegal.

e. except the part about joining 24 hours ago. That was not the best analysis.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:03 pm

BlendedUnicorn wrote:
Bob loblaw law blog wrote:Flame. No one could actually be dumb enough to think that the "someone who totally isn't me has a question" shtick would protect them if someone found this. Also, this person joined tls all of 24 hours ago.

:D :D :D

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bob loblaw law blog

Bronze

Post by Bob loblaw law blog » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:04 pm

BlendedUnicorn wrote:

Damn. You are correct.

But still a flame. Just a flame that's been around for a while. Aren't you a lounge regular too?

BlendedUnicorn

Platinum

Post by BlendedUnicorn » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:06 pm

Bob loblaw law blog wrote:
BlendedUnicorn wrote:

Damn. You are correct.

But still a flame. Just a flame that's been around for a while. Aren't you a lounge regular too?
I'm posting on behalf of whomever got their thread locked in the legal employment forum. I'm sure Nony can confirm that it wasn't me.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:11 pm

BlendedUnicorn wrote:Hi everyone. I'm neither a 0l nor a paralegal at a v20, but if I were I would have the following question:
Hi everyone,

I am a paralegal at a v20 firm. Our firm, like many others, hosts staff events to promote a friendly environment. The thing is, I am indifferent towards my coworkers, and would rather work than attend these events. The HR dept is always questioning my absence at these events. I'm starting law school this fall, and can't wait to hand in my two weeks notice. However, in the event that I would need a reference letter from my employer, am I shooting myself in the foot by not being more social? I do my job well, and get along with everyone, I just don't attend these mind numbing events.
On the other hand, if I'd been on the other side of OCI I would say that it's definitely worth the effort making an appearance at these things and socializing a little bit. Downside seems small and the potential networking/consuming free stuff upside is pretty large.
Yes go to the events and use it as practice for networking events you might have in law school.
You have to learn to be social at boring events especially if you are a slightly introverted person who prefers work to socializing with coworkers. You want people to think you like them even if you don't.

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:11 pm

Bob loblaw law blog wrote:

Damn. You are correct.

Just take the L, dood. Gotta follow the trends to not sound like a dumb.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:54 am

Yeah, BU is not the person who asked that question.

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:24 pm

Do you need pre-school employment references for legal employment? I'm not trying to burn bridges, but I figured they'd be more grade and ls Prof rec dependent. This seems like a dumb question now that I'm asking it, but I'm asking it!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:32 pm

No, unless your previous employers have some connection to law you should really be relying on law school profs/supervisors. You will have to give the names of prior employers to the bar as part of the C&F, though, although different states are more/less vigilant about that (like, I don't think my bar association talked to anyone I put on my app, but apparently some states do - however the feds did contact my previous employers). So people worry about previous employers burning them at C&F, though that's not realistic AT ALL unless you actually did something unethical that got you fired.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon May 01, 2017 9:17 am

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”