Leaving the country 1L winter break? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
frozen_tundra9

New

Leaving the country 1L winter break?

Post by frozen_tundra9 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:20 pm

I've heard the job search for 1L summer starts during winter break. How much time goes into that job hunt, and how important is it to be in my target market to network, etc. during winter break? My family wants me to come to Australia (which I'd obviously prefer and it would really bother them if I don't), but then I'd have way less time to mass mail, wouldn't be able to network in the market I want to end up in, and would be dealing with a large time difference for calls/interviews?

Thanks,
a clueless 0L

Mullens

Silver

Re: Leaving the country 1L winter break?

Post by Mullens » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:24 pm

frozen_tundra9 wrote:I've heard the job search for 1L summer starts during winter break. How much time goes into that job hunt, and how important is it to be in my target market to network, etc. during winter break? My family wants me to come to Australia (which I'd obviously prefer and it would really bother them if I don't), but then I'd have way less time to mass mail, wouldn't be able to network in the market I want to end up in, and would be dealing with a large time difference for calls/interviews?

Thanks,
a clueless 0L
You'll be fine. Go. Most people suggest mass mailing on December 1st anyway so it won't impact that.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:48 am

Why wouldn't you? I went abroad every winter break (albeit sometimes for academic reasons--but 1L was just to relax). Your 1L winter break will feel like your first real escape in months. USE IT!

Re: 1L summer jobs, I didn't start applying until january when I got back. Not everyone has to apply in early december. That's basically just for a few USAO and judicial internships and 1L SAs

itsasmallworld

New

Post by itsasmallworld » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:16 am

I left the country the day after my last final every winter break. For 1L year, I had no trouble finding a job. Had a bunch of interviews lined up for when I got home. Go- you won't have breaks like this when you graduate law school

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:24 am

itsasmallworld wrote:Go- you won't have breaks like this when you graduate law school
this

fuck

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

frozen_tundra9

New

Post by frozen_tundra9 » Mon May 01, 2017 9:34 pm

Thanks all!!! Looking forward​ to an awesome winter break!

GoneSouth

Bronze

Post by GoneSouth » Sat May 06, 2017 2:08 pm

frozen_tundra9 wrote:I've heard the job search for 1L summer starts during winter break. How much time goes into that job hunt, and how important is it to be in my target market to network, etc. during winter break? My family wants me to come to Australia (which I'd obviously prefer and it would really bother them if I don't), but then I'd have way less time to mass mail, wouldn't be able to network in the market I want to end up in, and would be dealing with a large time difference for calls/interviews?

Thanks,
a clueless 0L
Keep in mind "mass mailing" these days is largely through email, which you could do from Australia if you had to.

LHS17

Bronze

Post by LHS17 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:18 am

jbagelboy wrote:Why wouldn't you? I went abroad every winter break (albeit sometimes for academic reasons--but 1L was just to relax). Your 1L winter break will feel like your first real escape in months. USE IT!

Re: 1L summer jobs, I didn't start applying until january when I got back. Not everyone has to apply in early december. That's basically just for a few USAO and judicial internships and 1L SAs
Not sure I follow the advice here. Can't a 1L SA interview happen on short notice if you mass mail on December 1? Wouldn't it be beneficial to include in a cover letter that you are available over the break (and ideally will be in your target market anyway if ties-centric)? I realize you can hardly bank on a 1L SA, but it would seem prudent to use / market the time wisely if recruiting out of state.

GFox345

Bronze

Post by GFox345 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:16 am

Thanks,
a clueless 0L
Hey, OP. Current 1L SA here. Go to Australia and don't think anything of it. In my experience, firms hire on a later timeline. I had 6-7 callbacks that all took place in Late January through late February. I got my offer on March 1. I was fooled by the kind of advice that people above gave and put something like "I will be in X market from late December through the New Year and will be available to interview" yada yada. No bites during that time.

It wouldn't hurt to mass mail a few firms/other employers in mid-late December, but firms know that people are with family/out of town and what's more is that they are too! Very few firms are going to be hosting callbacks shortly before Christmas or between Christmas and New Year's. Personally, I resume blasted the firm I am currently working at when my grades came out in the second week of January.

Now if you're talking about being out of the country until like late January that might be a problem, but otherwise just enjoy yourself. By then you'll more than deserve a break!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ernie

Bronze

Post by ernie » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:28 am

I mass mailed over 1L winter break; it was time consuming but callbacks for me didn't start until mid to late January.

pixy22

New

Post by pixy22 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:20 pm

Why do we have to wait until December 1st to mass mail? I'm guessing we won't have our grades by then. Is it possible to sent apps out earlier, such as October/November?

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:22 pm

pixy22 wrote:Why do we have to wait until December 1st to mass mail? I'm guessing we won't have our grades by then. Is it possible to sent apps out earlier, such as October/November?
ABA rules forbid 1L hiring before December 1st. Law firms and legal employers are forbidden from accepting applications before then.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”