Chances of Chicago Biglaw? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
eli_1812

New

Chances of Chicago Biglaw?

Post by eli_1812 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:39 am

I have offers at UVA ($) and NU ($) though I would prefer to stay in-state at UVA and save money/go to higher-ranked school. I grew up in Chicago and have family there. Are these enough ties to land biglaw after law school? Summer associate position during law school? Where in my class would I have to finish? Any info is appreciated! Thanks

UVA2B

Gold

Re: Chances of Chicago Biglaw?

Post by UVA2B » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:51 am

If UVA is cheaper than NU, it's perfectly reasonable to pick it over NU even wanting Chicago Biglaw. If the costs are equal, going to NU is the safer choice if Chicago Biglaw is your ideal outcome.

Your ties are sufficient to get Chicago Biglaw following graduation at UVA if you stay in/around median and bid smartly on Chicago firms. Not all that many go to Chicago from UVA, but your background in Chicago will be enough.

This decision should be entirely about cost and not rankings. At equal cost, NU is safer. If UVA is cheaper, UVA is a better choice.

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:20 am

eli_1812 wrote:save money/go to higher-ranked school
As said by UVA2B, if UVA is saving money then its a perfectly fine choice (likely the right choice). Don't worry about the rankings, though.

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:33 pm

Go with whichever is cheaper. At equal cost, go to UVA.

SeewhathappensLarry

Bronze

Post by SeewhathappensLarry » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:36 pm

I'm at UVA, I would go with Northwestern if the costs are equal. If I remember correctly there aren't a ton of Chicago firms that come to OGI, compared to other large markets.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”