Berkeley Law and California US Attorneys Offices Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
badlefthook

New

Berkeley Law and California US Attorneys Offices

Post by badlefthook » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:49 am

Can any Boalt students/alums speak to any connections between Boalt faculty and U.S. Attorney's Offices in California? Is there any kind of pipeline that exists between Boalt and any of these offices? Courses/externships? Former AUSAs on faculty? This is definitely my goal within a few years of graduating and I'm curious if Berkeley has any sort of infrastructure set up to help make this possible. Thanks in advance. I have tried asking the school on multiple occasions and they have not proven helpful.
Last edited by badlefthook on Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

cavalier1138

Re: Berkeley Law and California US Attorneys Offices

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:54 am

I can't speak to the specifics of Berkeley, but there isn't really such a thing as a school with a "pipeline" to competitive USAOs. Places like SDNY, CDCA, etc. don't generally hire through honors programs. So you generally have to go for 4-5 years of biglaw/clerking experience before applying. By that point, your school name might be helpful in establishing some early networking ties, but you're not going to be calling your career services office five years after graduating to get their help with setting up informational interviews, etc.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon May 01, 2017 9:22 am

I don't think any law school offers the resources you're looking for specifically, except for USAO externship programs (which most top schools have) and various faculty that were former prosecutors. I'm sure if you asked the administration at my law school they would laud their multiple USAO externship programs and *great* government placement, which are both fair points, but not sufficient to guarantee any kind of position.

NDCA and CDCA are ridiculously competitive. Even though Berkeley is a top school in the state, for it--or Stanford for that matter--to self-identify as a "pipeline" to the US Attorneys offices would be ridiculous.

FascinatedWanderer

Bronze

Post by FascinatedWanderer » Mon May 01, 2017 11:58 am

"Within a few years" is unrealistic, depending on your definition of "few".

For NDCA/CDCA, your best bet is to intern/extern in those USAOs during school, clerk in NDCA/CDCA, clerk on CA9, work at MTO, Keker, HH, or similar firm for a couple of years, then make the move. I'd guess about 5-6 years out is the time most make the move over.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon May 01, 2017 12:52 pm

FascinatedWanderer wrote: For NDCA/CDCA, your best bet is to intern/extern in those USAOs during school, clerk in NDCA/CDCA, clerk on CA9, work at MTO, Keker, HH, or similar firm for a couple of years, then make the move.
Yeah. This is basically how it works. And sure, this can happen at Berkeley--for like 5-10% of the class. No school can guarantee you such a trajectory.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”