Do these W's seem like they will count against me Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
nylawapplicant2017

New

Do these W's seem like they will count against me

Post by nylawapplicant2017 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:05 pm

When calculating my LSAC gpa it comes to 3.3, I have taken the LSAT and earned a 177. The 3.3/177 should generate good results, however, I am worried because of some Withdrawals.

LSAC transcript summarization page states W's are omitted unless the issuing school considers the grade punitive.

The Ws at my school are not punitive. They do not count in my gpa. On back of my transcript they are clearly listed as "grades not affecting the gpa". Some others applied to law school at my institution with Ws, and said LSAC didnt count them, and they are listed as omitted on the Interpretive Guide to Grading systems on LSAC's page, when I enter in my school.

My only concern: At my school when you retake a course, they put Include (I) by the original grade and (E) by the forgiven, and its marked as "I" included next to the grade. I petitioned for retroactive withdrawal and a couple former Fs were removed, and in their place were put in as W's, however, when they did that, they didnt remove the "I" notation next to it that was there when there was a grade. So 3 of my W's have an "I" notation next to it.

Would LSAC see this and count them as F's, or do you think that because they arent punitive at my school (as my transcript backside says) that they wont count?
Last edited by nylawapplicant2017 on Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

acr

Silver

Re: Do these W's seem like they will count against me

Post by acr » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:09 pm

nylawapplicant2017 wrote:When calculating my LSAC gpa it comes to 3.3, I have taken the LSAT and earned a 177. The 3.3/177 should generate good results, however, I am worried because of some Withdrawals.

LSAC transcript summarization page states W's are omitted unless the issuing school considers the grade punitive.

The Ws at my school are not punitive. They do not count in my gpa. On back of my transcript they are clearly listed as "grades not affecting the gpa". Some others applied to law school at my institution with Ws, and said LSAC didnt count them, and they are listed as omitted on the Interpretive Guide to Grading systems on LSAC's page, when I enter in my school.

My only concern: At my school when you retake a course, its marked as "I" included next to the grade. I petitioned for retroactive withdrawal and a couple Fs were removed, and in their place were put in as W's, however, when they did that, they didnt remove the "I" notation next to it. Some 3 W's have an "I" notation next to it.

Would LSAC see this and count them as F's, or do you think that because they arent punitive at my school that that wont matter?
Don't worry about non-punitive W's.

nylawapplicant2017

New

Post by nylawapplicant2017 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:11 pm

Thanks for your reply. But, dont you think that when the LSAC sees an Include symbol next to it, they may think to count is as an F?

NoLongerALurker

Bronze

Post by NoLongerALurker » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:33 pm

No

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:40 pm

No.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:22 pm

No.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”