How Partnership Chances vary with Office Location Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
derekne

New

How Partnership Chances vary with Office Location

Post by derekne » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:18 am

Hi Everyone,

First, a disclaimer. I know I'm thinking about this very early but I just wanted to get a better lay of the land regarding how partnership chances vary with one's firm office location,(i.e HQ or satellite). I'm going to be attending CLS in the fall and want to get a job in TX. From what I've read, one has a much better chance,(comparatively), to make partner working out of a firm's main office compared to a satellite office. As someone who,(God willing), would like to make partner, should I focus my attention,(assuming sufficient grades etc...), on trying to get a SA at the main office of a larger TX based firm,(i.e V&E, BB, NRF etc...), vs other V100 firms with Satellite offices in TX? Also how would one typically bid that for OCI,(i.e if my first choice was V&E would I put that first or further down the list to play it safe?)

Again I know this is really early for me to be thinking about,(without grades and such), but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Anonymous User

Re: How Partnership Chances vary with Office Location

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:14 am

You're putting the wood that will be used to build the cart in front of the unborn foal.

Tiny Rick!

Bronze

Post by Tiny Rick! » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:You're putting the wood that will be used to build the cart in front of the unborn foal.
Didn't mean to be anon.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:30 am

Moved to correct forum.

Also yes, this is incredibly premature (in particular you will learn all about bidding when the time comes but if you need to think about this now, go check out the last few years of CLS OCI threads).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”