I was a cam girl...am i screwed? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
baddecisions

New

I was a cam girl...am i screwed?

Post by baddecisions » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:06 pm

Okay, a little background info before you judge too hard. Both my parents lost their jobs and because it was mid way through the school year I wasn't able to find work. It came time for payments to be made and I didn't qualify for enough financial aid or loans to cover everything.....so I started cam girling. I made more than enough money to pay my fees...and at the time was only thinking about staying in school. I'm now realizing this could have terrible repercussions on being able to find a job later on...any advice or thoughts?

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Re: I was a cam girl...am i screwed?

Post by PeanutsNJam » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:08 pm

Idk about the legalities of cam girls, but if it's not illegal, you won't have a problem with passing the bar.

The only way it could come back to bite you is if an employer or potential employer knows about it. Since that's really unlikely, it won't be a problem.

Public office is probably closed to you though.

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:12 pm

Assuming this is real, I can think of a couple ways you could be screwed: (1) you did it under your real name and/or it comes up when your name is googled (you might even be okay if your name is super common and it's not easy to tell it's you); (2) you didn't report the income to the IRS and the bar finds out when you do C&F; or (3) you're super recognizable for some reason (I'd recommend changing your hair style and hopefully you don't have visible, recognizeable tattoos).

Otherwise, you might be okay. The more time between this and law school the safer you'll be. Obviously never tell ANYONE. Regardless of how close you are to them.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:24 pm

I think this will be a non-issue for most government, public-interest, and big law firm positions.

ETA: It's a good idea to hire a company to bury any embarrassing google search results. But even if you didn't do this, you'd probably be fine.
Last edited by rpupkin on Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:26 pm

yeah it shouldn't be a big deal. If you were using your real name, just hire an SEO company or something prior to law school and get the google results/images pushed back to like the 20th page or something. People do that with DUIs all the time, and those are actually public record

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bearsfan23

Gold

Post by bearsfan23 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:37 pm

Just be aware you are absolutely going to have disclose this "job" to the bar. I doubt it would keep you from being admitted as long as you are truthful about everything (people get admitted all the time with far "worse" moral trangressions), but it's not as simple as it just being something you can leave off a resume

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:40 pm

bearsfan23 wrote:Just be aware you are absolutely going to have disclose this "job" to the bar. I doubt it would keep you from being admitted as long as you are truthful about everything (people get admitted all the time with far "worse" moral trangressions), but it's not as simple as it just being something you can leave off a resume
To be clear, bearsfan23 is right that you'll have to disclose this to the bar (because it was employment), but you don't have to (and shouldn't) put it on your resume.

Pokemon

Gold

Post by Pokemon » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:42 pm

I do not think this is a big deal unless you are a famous cam girl

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:14 pm

rpupkin wrote:
bearsfan23 wrote:Just be aware you are absolutely going to have disclose this "job" to the bar. I doubt it would keep you from being admitted as long as you are truthful about everything (people get admitted all the time with far "worse" moral trangressions), but it's not as simple as it just being something you can leave off a resume
To be clear, bearsfan23 is right that you'll have to disclose this to the bar (because it was employment), but you don't have to (and shouldn't) put it on your resume.
Since I doubt OP paid taxes on that income, would she be in trouble for that? I'm no advocating for lying on a bar application, but maybe it isn't a "job"? Idk if you spent a summer mowing lawns in high school, does the bar application require you to put that on there? I wouldn't be surprised if it did lmao.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lawdawg69

New

Post by lawdawg69 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:20 pm

I was also a cam girl and It has actually helped my legal career!

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:21 pm

lawdawg69 wrote:I was also a cam girl and It has actually helped my legal career!
Don't troll.

Dayscoffeegal

New

Post by Dayscoffeegal » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:10 pm

So how did you list the employment? Currently having this problem as well...

grand inquisitor

Gold

Post by grand inquisitor » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:45 pm

good, provocative thread title

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Ilovemydogxo

New

Post by Ilovemydogxo » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:03 pm

!

Mod Edit: Edited for clarity without changing original meaning

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:06 pm

Folks mostly behaved themselves when this was first posted, but now we're getting into lounge-level mockery of OP, if not worse. Not cool.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:08 pm

rpupkin wrote:Folks mostly behaved themselves when this was first posted, but now we're getting into lounge-level mockery of OP, if not worse. Not cool.
We have ways of handling that.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:35 pm

Nope

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BlendedUnicorn

Platinum

Post by BlendedUnicorn » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:46 pm

Danger Zone I'm not sure if you were making fun of a post that Cap edited or not so no ban but from now on people can either address the question or take some time off from TLS.

Sprout

Silver

Post by Sprout » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:06 pm

rpupkin wrote:

why the fuck should she have to put it on her resume? I left tons of shit off my resume, but that doesnt mean I wont disclose to C&F for the bar

OP - youre probably fine but I would hope you used an alias name and changed your hair/style generally. Not going to be a good look if youre recognized, whether or not you did anything wrong.

PS I hope youre the cam girl I met before seeing Late Night with Stephen Colbert because youd be a rad lawyer (although your tattoos will prob hurt you) Gl

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:49 pm

Sprout wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

why the fuck should she have to put it on her resume? I left tons of shit off my resume, but that doesnt mean I wont disclose to C&F for the bar

OP - youre probably fine but I would hope you used an alias name and changed your hair/style generally. Not going to be a good look if youre recognized, whether or not you did anything wrong.

PS I hope youre the cam girl I met before seeing Late Night with Stephen Colbert because youd be a rad lawyer (although your tattoos will prob hurt you) Gl
Can you read?.....

OP, you'll be fine for law school admission if you don't disclose. Hell, you'll probably be fine even if you do and write a PS about it. No clue on jobs afterwards, though

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”