Question about Commuting Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
mrtux45

Bronze

Question about Commuting

Post by mrtux45 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:08 pm

I plan to commute from my parents house for 1 or 2 years during law school to cut costs. I haven't lived at home in like 7 years, so while I'm not pumped about it, I do think it's worth the money because the commute to my likely school would be ~30 mins.

Does anyone have experience commuting? Is it better to commute during 1L or 2L/3L? I'm unsure because I know my parents house would make a good study spot during 1L, but from what I understand, 1L is where you're going to spend the most time in class/the library, so I'm not sure whether it'd be better to live right by campus.

As always, thanks for any feedback

mrtux45

Bronze

Re: Question about Commuting

Post by mrtux45 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:31 am

Bump.

Any chance I could get some feedback on this? I understand it's largely a personal decision, but any advice about the difference commuting 1L vs 2/3L would be greatly appreciated. I'm currently on a deadline to resign my lease

Thanks!

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:35 am

Commuting is easy and having a place to go to completely disconnected from LS might actually be better for your mental health. I think you'll be fine. You could probably commute all 3 years. You'd save a lot of money that way.

HillandHollow

Bronze

Post by HillandHollow » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:02 am

30 minutes is barely a commute, you'll be fine with that.

glockov

New

Post by glockov » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:05 am

I'll be commuting about an hour to school. But I won't be driving, which is nice.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:47 am

It's doable. It's not like you can't study just as well at home as you can at the library. I'm graduating in like two months and I don't think I've ever looked something up in a physical book at the library. Not living near campus can make things like study groups trickier, but a half hour really isn't that bad.

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:48 pm

That setup sounds awesome to me. I get your points re: living with the rents, but 30 minutes is nothing and I genuinely don't think it's going to cause you any issues during any of 1L, 2L, or 3L.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”