Aerospace Engineer with questions about patent law Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
dcb942

New

Aerospace Engineer with questions about patent law

Post by dcb942 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:14 pm

I graduated in 2014 with my degree in aerospace engineering. I have worked the last 2 years at NASA in Houston. It is pretty interesting but I am worried about being laid off in a few years when the ISS program ends and frankly the salary isn't amazing.

I have had an interest in patent law for awhile but no matter where I look most jobs require some sort of Electrical engineering or computer science. Now I have done quite a bit of programing and took several EE classes. I know my way around schematics, code, plumbing schematics, circuit diagrams etc. I do not want to risk going to law school only to not be able to find a job. Granted there are online computer science programs and I could conceivably get a degree in computer science either before or after law school if needed. I live very close to the University of Houston which has a decent IP program and I could do it part time.

My questions are:

What are your thoughts? Do I need another degree?

Is patent law worth the investment?

What is the job outlook for a patent lawyer?

What is the job outlook in Texas? My one condition is that I cannot leave Texas.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”