Dual Degree Program Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
justplainlawesome

New

Dual Degree Program

Post by justplainlawesome » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:39 pm

Just wondering what anyone thinks about the weight or caliber of a dual degree in JD/ Crim Justice v. a regular JD from a higher ranked school. Would the dual degree necessarily give you more value than just a JD? I'm sure it depends on your area of interest and career goals. Any thoughts/ experiences

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: Dual Degree Program

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:49 pm

Do you mean a MA in criminal justice? It won't do a thing for someone with a JD. I think the MA in criminal justice is largely intended for people in law enforcement (especially who want to move up the ranks and an advanced degree will help). If you want to practice criminal law get a JD and pertinent experience. If you want to be a LEO don't bother with the JD.

RCSOB657

Gold

Post by RCSOB657 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:52 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Do you mean a MA in criminal justice? It won't do a thing for someone with a JD. I think the MA in criminal justice is largely intended for people in law enforcement (especially who want to move up the ranks and an advanced degree will help). If you want to practice criminal law get a JD and pertinent experience. If you want to be a LEO don't bother with the JD.

justplainlawesome

New

Post by justplainlawesome » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:11 pm

Yes, sorry, just to clarify the concurrent degree would be a masters in Criminal Justice. The idea being working in the realm of criminal law and if having that masters in crim credential would add any real value as opposed to just the JD even in you focused on crim law in law school.
Thank you for your prompt responses btw.

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:20 pm

justplainlawesome wrote:if having that masters in crim credential would add any real value as opposed to just the JD
Not in criminal law myself, but I can't imagine that it would if you just want to be a prosecutor/defender. Possibly if you're interested in policy/administration? (Probably not even then, but that's sufficiently specialized you would have to talk to someone working in that field.)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”