Side Jobs During 1L Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
mrtux45

Bronze

Side Jobs During 1L

Post by mrtux45 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:47 am

What are some good side hustles for 1L?

I'd like to continue paying my UG loans while in law school, and would aim to pull in $400ish per month. Is ~20hr/wk week reasonable during 1L? I always had at least a part time job during UG, and have been working full time for over a year since graduation, so I'm used to balancing a few priorities.

I own a car, so my first thought was Uber because I could work my own hours. I also currently work as a paralegal, so maybe I could continue there? I'm just not sure how to bring it up/if my class schedule would allow for a few hours a week in the office. We have a 3L who does work part time work, and I assume he'll leave when he graduates.

Any ideas or experiences would be greatly appreciated!

cavalier1138

Re: Side Jobs During 1L

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:57 am

mrtux45 wrote:Is ~20hr/wk week reasonable during 1L?
Not if you want to do well.

Overall, everyone's going to have different tolerance levels for workload. But your 1L grades are absolutely vital, and adding the stress and distraction of a job to the stress of acclimating to law school is not a good idea.

katthegreat11

Bronze

Post by katthegreat11 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:02 pm

Last edited by katthegreat11 on Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Post by trebekismyhero » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:36 pm

Terrible idea. Work after 1L all you want, but not during if your goal is to do well at OCI

mrtux45

Bronze

Post by mrtux45 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:19 pm

Fair enough. Thanks for the responses, I guess I'll work on putting aside extra now so I can keep the payments up through 1L

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:17 pm

I hear strippers get paid handsomely.

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:21 pm

zot1 wrote:I hear strippers get paid handsomely.
Handsome strippers do.

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:21 pm

mjb447 wrote:
Handsome strippers do.
I'm not so sure that's always true (source: FRIENDS).

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:47 pm

Beer goggles though.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:29 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Beer goggles though.
Go home; you're drunk.
Last edited by zot1 on Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:37 am

zot1 wrote:
mjb447 wrote:
Handsome strippers do.

TragicBronson

New

Post by TragicBronson » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:33 am

zot1 wrote:
mjb447 wrote:
Handsome strippers do.
I'm hesitant to even ask, but does this mean you have handsome friends who didn't get paid well stripping, or ugly friends who did?

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:49 am

TragicBronson wrote:
zot1 wrote:
mjb447 wrote:
Handsome strippers do.
I'm hesitant to even ask, but does this mean you have handsome friends who didn't get paid well stripping, or ugly friends who did?
Millenials...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nunumaster

Silver

Post by nunumaster » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:15 am

I'm surprised no one has said this but you could just tutor the Lsat. You can easily make like 180 a week for just 3 hours if you find one or two clients. 3 hours isn't going to make a big deal in your 1L study time imo.

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:24 am

nunumaster wrote:I'm surprised no one has said this but you could just tutor the Lsat. You can easily make like 180 a week for just 3 hours if you find one or two clients. 3 hours isn't going to make a big deal in your 1L study time imo.
People don't generally recommend this because most people are not in the percentile needed to be an lsat tutor.

nunumaster

Silver

Post by nunumaster » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:48 am

zot1 wrote:
People don't generally recommend this because most people are not in the percentile needed to be an lsat tutor.
oh right i forgot about the plebes

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:10 pm

nunumaster wrote:
zot1 wrote:
oh right i forgot about the plebes
Or the ones who made it without studying or paying for courses.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:50 pm

mrtux45 wrote:I guess I'll work on putting aside extra now so I can keep the payments up through 1L
I'm pretty sure this makes literally no sense, right? You don't have to pay loans while you are in school, so just defer them. If you want to pay ahead now, do that. Otherwise you're just paying interest between now and whenever you pay them in the future.

mrtux45

Bronze

Post by mrtux45 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:09 pm

guybourdin wrote:
mrtux45 wrote:I guess I'll work on putting aside extra now so I can keep the payments up through 1L
I'm pretty sure this makes literally no sense, right? You don't have to pay loans while you are in school, so just defer them. If you want to pay ahead now, do that. Otherwise you're just paying interest between now and whenever you pay them in the future.
That's an option. But since I already have some savings, I figured it might be smart to keep paying rather than allow them to accrue more interest. From what I understand, interest on unsubsidized loans in deferment gets added to the principal when they go back into repayment

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:12 pm

mrtux45 wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
That's an option. But since I already have some savings, I figured it might be smart to keep paying rather than allow them to accrue more interest. From what I understand, interest on unsubsidized loans in deferment gets added to the principal when they go back into repayment
I would just make sure to do the math first. At least, if there was some downside to defering them, you could probably have your monthly payment lowered substantially while you were in school not working, and pay as much as you want to early to avoid unnecessary interest.

potus

Bronze

Post by potus » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:35 pm

guybourdin wrote:
mrtux45 wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
I would just make sure to do the math first. At least, if there was some downside to defering them, you could probably have your monthly payment lowered substantially while you were in school not working, and pay as much as you want to early to avoid unnecessary interest.
It depends on whether or not you can finance a term in law school and avoid taking out the loan. Once you take out the loan, you'll have to pay interest even when deferring it; grad school also would mean likely unsubsidized loans.

Anyone know if the 1L ABA policy about a max of 20 hours of work still applies?

trebekismyhero

Silver

Post by trebekismyhero » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:16 pm

potus wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
mrtux45 wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
It depends on whether or not you can finance a term in law school and avoid taking out the loan. Once you take out the loan, you'll have to pay interest even when deferring it; grad school also would mean likely unsubsidized loans.

Anyone know if the 1L ABA policy about a max of 20 hours of work still applies?
I believe it was removed last year or the year before, but I am not positive. You can look on ABA's website. Either way, it is a bad idea to work that much during 1L if you are going to school full time

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”