Question regarding seriousness of job offer Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Mr. Peanutbutter

Diamond

Re: Question regarding seriousness of job offer

Post by Mr. Peanutbutter » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:33 pm

In case anyone takes the previous post seriously, I think there's a pretty good chance that posting on TLS with your real name and holding yourself out as an attorney violates most firms' social media policies

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:34 pm

Mlk&Ckies wrote:No way this is not a KF alt actually now that I think of it

Reporturd
Yeah, who gets a notification in a thread no one has posted in for 7 months? Something smells corny

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:35 pm

future liT1g4tor wrote:Another thing I don't get is (well I get it but I find it quite unfortunate at times). If you want to stress to me (or to TLS) that you are an attorney why post behind something as close to your average tlser as an anonymous account.

Why not post your name as your actual title, Esq. So when you are answering to people and giving your opinion it is actually you. (Similar to Avvo, etc). I know it will be kind of retarded. But so is trolling on TLS as an active attorney. You can be an asset to TLS (not saying you guys aren't) & vice versa.

I obviously get why people do this, because they don't want all the nonsense they write on here days in to be associated with their professional lives. They are not giving their professional opinion so it need not be associated with their actual life as an active attorney.

Yes, it may be real corny, but that's because the norm is to have a random account and not out yourself. That's only due to the fact you don't want to be ridiculed by having all of the contributions you have made online exposed.

I am not advocating for TLS to change the way it is. Just a thought. I mean if I was a practicing attorney, I would do it. Sure they have Q&A's and certain people say who they are behind an actual anonymous account but nobody ever fully posts as their actual professional self. Sure you have a group of practicing attorneys that know you but the majority don't know. So I find it an unfortunate waste of time to conduct in such behavior & to carry yourself in such manner. Do you not agree? Would you not contribute more by actually having the OP know it is YOU giving it to someone dry? People like to be all passive aggressive online, and they will never want that associated with themselves but this is nothing new.

You are a lawyer, behave like one. If not what exactly is the point behind bringing up too many dumb attorneys?
Confirmed KF alt

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:37 pm

Fwiw, I have no opinion on whether it should go to law school. That's not my decision to make. My only opinion is that KF has a tendency to necro threads like a lone kernel mysteriously popping after the microwave has shut off.

future liT1g4tor

Bronze

Post by future liT1g4tor » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:45 pm

Mlk&Ckies wrote:In case anyone takes the previous post seriously, I think there's a pretty good chance that posting on TLS with your real name and holding yourself out as an attorney violates most firms' social media policies
THANK YOU for proving my point. Most people that will conduct in such behavior is someone who works BigLaw and claims they have long hours and is held accountable to another firms policies, etc. Your no boss. Don't act like one towards me. There is nothing wrong with it and in addition to it being not on the good side with your firm's policies, why do it? Yes, the way it is set up right now there is not anything wrong with it.

But that's like filing a lawsuit without having the proper evidence, get threatened to be sanctioned with whichever rule they see fit, in addition to it being addressed to the court and all along you have the evidence. But you only have it by obtaining it, which you knew you would. It's unethical, right? I'm not saying such behavior on TLS is the equivalent, I would do the first, the second not so much.

Why do firms have such policies, because they don't have trust that their associates will make the firm look good. So think about that before & post blatantly. Because don't think for a second someone can't figure out just who you are.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

future liT1g4tor

Bronze

Post by future liT1g4tor » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:46 pm

Nebby wrote:Fwiw, I have no opinion on whether it should go to law school. That's not my decision to make. My only opinion is that KF has a tendency to necro threads like a lone kernel mysteriously popping after the microwave has shut off.
I didn't revive this thread. I'm from Las Vegas, NV. Doubt this KF character is. I'm sure you have tons of pimps named Kid Fame, Kash Flow, etc.

There's some irony behind repeatedly being called someone else by a poster who brought up awareness... You aren't that aware M&C.
Last edited by future liT1g4tor on Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Mr. Peanutbutter

Diamond

Post by Mr. Peanutbutter » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:47 pm

Partners also have to abide by publicity guidelines (and if anything are more monitored)

Can't wait to tell panthern tomorrow he's no boss

future liT1g4tor

Bronze

Post by future liT1g4tor » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:49 pm

Mlk&Ckies wrote:Partners also have to abide by publicity guidelines (and if anything are more monitored)

Can't wait to tell panthern tomorrow he's no boss
It costs to be the boss.

Yes, if I was in a BigLaw environment, I definitely would do it since you are dealing with people on a mass scale. I am saying if you're an entrepreneur like most Shitlaw or MidLaw(call it what you will) attorneys are. I personally know some (I don't know if it will be referred to as MidLaw or Shitlaw, etc) attorneys who have 2-5m+ profit yearly.

This will be me if I don't work BigLaw. I have done it in a different business and doing it as an attorney would be much more fun. Your average shitlaw lawyer is an entrepreneur; he is shooting commercials, making sure he looks good on billboards, and pumping out as many advertisements as he can, costly ones at that. In addition, there isn't a single Romanian attorney in Las Vegas, NV. My mother is on the board of directors of a Romanian church thus my name can get around. I don't envision even staying in Las Vegas but worst case scenario, I would stay here & prosper.

All I have to do is add immigration to my line of work if i'm solo and I can get anywhere from 1,000 - 5,000 for any giving client and that is for easy work paralegals can do. I have experience with this from my own situation. It needs to be done. Immigration law can be a gold mine, people become permanent residents/citizens every day and it is real easy work that requires almost no going to court.

This is just a side practice, you will only see the client once or twice at most. It's enough to where you can add it to your area of expertise without it interfering with other work you may have because most individual immigration cases entail work that is an easy task; such as simply filing a few things, etc.

You've mentioned earlier about dumb attorneys. Vegas is full of them. I would love to destroy these attorneys in court. I also have ties in the DA's office and further ones I will not get into. Actually I will, if someone close to my family went to school with a judge (Vegas is small) would it be unethical for me to clerk with such judge, or ask for her help in regard to clerking? I am not saying I would do this because doing so means I would have to go to LS in my state which I highly do not want to do. Just a thought. If I go to school in CA I would clerk there if I wanted to clerk but say if I didn't find any clerkships in CA & wanted to clerk in my state for some reason (esp. in liaison with the ties I have in the DA's office). Is this a good connection to rely on or absolutely not?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:52 pm

Dude, you need to dial it back a LOT. Stop arguing with everyone. Come back when you're interested in listening to people who've already done what you haven't yet.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”