Question regarding seriousness of job offer Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: Question regarding seriousness of job offer

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:03 am

future liT1g4tor wrote:This is why I seldom post on TLS, due to the fact that I am always explaining myself, which is quite the opposite of your average TLSer. There are many great people on here, but most give the impression of your average law school graduate and they are making the profession look weak. The law is your master. This country was founded by lawyers, for lawyers, and you have a law degree and you can't make a decent living for yourself? Hiding behind anonymous accounts, not revealing anything about your personal lives as if you are so important & someone will out you and it will matter, you can say I haven't been in a law firm environment and those things can affect you, but with all honestly if it doesn't effect my work life, I would box one of these other lawyers if they pull any bs with me at my 180k+ job that is not work related. Do you think someone that is on there way to become a partner at a top firm will care about that unless they have a strategic reason for doing so? I get many people on TLS do, but not necessarily.

This profession has many educated people, great UG, great law school, not great lawyers/entrepreneurs & that is what is wrong with it. You can't bash someone that really wants to be a lawyer, I started school at 21 only because I wanted to be a lawyer! You have people that graduated from HARVARD LAW that cannot find a job, do you really think there is something wrong with the system or the people that the system is comprised of on a large scale? Of course there are TTT law schools, but there are TTT applicants that are going to law schools all over. Btw, this was not directed at anybody in this thread.
I know I'm piling on but I have idea where this came from or what it has to do with anything else in this thread (especially if it's not directed at anyone in this thread??). Why are you talking about other people's employment prospects when that doesn't have anything to do with your post?

Also it's pretty unkind to proclaim that getting admitted/graduating law school/passing the bar are easy. But really kellyfrost's point wasn't that you weren't capable of doing those things as much as that you're putting the cart way before the horse. You still have a lot of hoops to jump through before anyone can think of giving you a job, is really what he was saying.

(I do think OP is a non-native speaker though.)

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:11 am

future liT1g4tor wrote:
mjb447 wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:This thread is strange. It took an even stranger turn when OP started clarifying.

Let's not forget, he isn't even enrolled in law school. First he must be admitted, then graduate, then pass the bar. After doing all of those, maybe he could be hired at the DA office.
Those are significant hurdles at this point in the story.

What an odd god damn story to tell though, Jesus.
The additional details were not intended to clarify anything; OP has been very clear about that. (And, in fairness, they didn't.)

/snark
The irony of trying to be sarcastic to someone that was displaying sarcasm that you didn't even notice. Did you really think I would seriously make a bulletin board about what kellyfrost outlined :D
Apologies for thinking that you would make a bulletin board, whatever that means. I should have known better considering how grounded and un-strange your two (or so) previous posts were.

future liT1g4tor

Bronze

Post by future liT1g4tor » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:58 pm

rpupkin wrote:OP, you should reconsider your choice of career. You're a poor writer and you struggle to express yourself. I suggest working for at least a couple of years before attending law school.
Your post is filled with assumptions. I, unlike many fellow tlsers don't proof read as many of you can tell. Also I just write what comes to my mind since I type really fast so I'm not going to have everything on point. And honestly when I was in court yesterday an ADA started by saying Obviously finished that sentence by saying Obviously, started her new one by saying obviously and said it about 5 more times and only spoke about 4 more sentences.

I'm pretty sure she would've failed any law school legal writing essay by your logic. Saying obviously like that in a essay she would get dinged hard. But she is only a
DA writing would not be her forte. Also, I dropped out of high school 3 times to work construction with my father when I was 15, 16, and 17. I finally graduated at 18 a year late because I missed a year and a half so honestly it was 6 months early.

Afterwards, at 18 I helped build a successful construction company. On top of it I produced instrumentals for people in the music industry and ran a recording studio which I funded myself. Which when I wasn't just selling the beats I was recording and engineering for people. I was helping people open LLCs for their little labels, publish their music, etc. That wasn't really a job though, more like a passion. A lot of people know me in my city and when I tell them I want to be a lawyer I tell them it means more to me than the music does now and they're like ok that's saying a lot.
Last edited by future liT1g4tor on Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:18 pm

ToGetIntoTheBoysHole wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote: Non-native speakers don't make the "should of" mistake or overuse commas. Those are classic mistakes for native speakers who never quite got the hang of written communication.
Interesting... Something I'll have to keep an eye out for in the future
*going through all of my application PDFs to see if I do this* :shock:

future liT1g4tor

Bronze

Post by future liT1g4tor » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:23 pm

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:
ToGetIntoTheBoysHole wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote: Non-native speakers don't make the "should of" mistake or overuse commas. Those are classic mistakes for native speakers who never quite got the hang of written communication.
Interesting... Something I'll have to keep an eye out for in the future
*going through all of my application PDFs to see if I do this* :shock:
English is my second language. I speak Romanian. Anonymous mouse has some skill. He is a fed after all :D

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:33 pm

future liT1g4tor wrote:
rpupkin wrote:OP, you should reconsider your choice of career. You're a poor writer and you struggle to express yourself. I suggest working for at least a couple of years before attending law school.
Your post is filled with assumptions. I, unlike many fellow tlsers don't proof read as many of you can tell. Also I just write what comes to my mind since I type really fast so I'm not going to have everything on point. And honestly when I was in court yesterday an ADA started by saying Obviously finished that sentence by saying Obviously, started her new one by saying obviously and said it about 5 more times and only spoke about 4 more sentences.

I'm pretty sure she would of failed any law school legal writing essay by your logic. Saying obviously like that in a essay she would get dinged hard. But she is only a
DA writing would not be her forte. Also, I dropped out of high school 3 times to work construction with my father when I was 15, 16, and 17. I finally graduated at 18 a year late because I missed a year and a half so honestly it was 6 months early.

Afterwards, at 18 I helped build a successful construction company. On top of it I produced instrumentals for people in the music industry and ran a recording studio which I funded myself. Which when I wasn't just selling the beats I was recording and engineering for people. I was helping people open LLCs for their little labels, publish their music, etc. That wasn't really a job though, more like a passion. A lot of people know me in my city and when I tell them I want to be a lawyer I tell them it means more to me than the music does now and they're like ok that's saying a lot.
This is my subjective opinion, but I think you have a brighter future in construction and the music industry. You can probably make more money doing those occupations than you can in the law.

A lot of DAs are very good legal writers. I'm not sure where you get the idea that if you are a DA you must not be a strong legal writer and then blanket every DA with that assumption. Contrary to what you are saying, DAs actually do legal writing, regularly.

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of charges has your wife caught?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:55 pm

future liT1g4tor wrote: I'm pretty sure she would of failed any law school legal writing essay by your logic. Saying obviously like that in a essay she would get dinged hard. But she is only a
DA writing would not be her forte.
It would be weird if she were penalized in a writing class for her conversational speaking style. It'd also be really weird if ADAs didn't have to do any legal writing.

Anyway, I'm calling it. No way this guy isn't a native speaker (sorry, that's a far more interesting topic to me than your ego-laden rants).

future liT1g4tor

Bronze

Post by future liT1g4tor » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:03 pm

kellyfrost wrote:

Yep, this confirms that you most likely will be editor of a T6 Law Review and top 5% of your class. As for the bar exam, you should strongly consider taking the exam in Arizona, Texas, or Ohio as these states recognize the examinee who scores the highest score during each administration. You wouldn't want to put your score to waste by simply being a "Pass" like many of the rest of us. Not to mention, if this DA employee wasn't genuine in his offer or was maybe "on the fence" then this would persuade him.

I hope you stay active on the forum and we can follow you throughout your law school and beginning career. I am really curious how this strange story pans out. I had a hard time sleeping last night because I kept thinking about this and wondering:
Was this rock star DA employee, who knows his father-in-law, serious? How serious should he take this offer? Is or was it a job offer?
Don't lose any more sleep than you should be over me. God knows your student loans are keeping you up enough.

If I were Top 5 at a T6 no less why would I go to the DA's office? Do you take me for one of those Yale weirdos? Which I despise, btw. I so would join the skull & bones.

How would one transition to BigLaw after being a prosecutor like Harvey Spectre? Did they already have the jobs lined up and they just decided to go into prosecution? Or is it if you graduated at let's say a good spot in your graduating class from Harvard you can go into prosecution for a couple of years and will still appeal to BigLaw firms? I can imagine that doing prosecutorial work for too long will lead to you not being able to transition to anything really due to the fact that the main experience you gain wouldn't really be significantly advantageous to anything, really. Am I completely wrong or just to a degree ?

future liT1g4tor

Bronze

Post by future liT1g4tor » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:07 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
future liT1g4tor wrote: I'm pretty sure she would of failed any law school legal writing essay by your logic. Saying obviously like that in a essay she would get dinged hard. But she is only a
It would be weird if she were penalized in a writing class for her conversational speaking style. It'd also be really weird if ADAs didn't have to do any legal writing.

Anyway, I'm calling it. No way this guy isn't a native speaker (sorry, that's a far more interesting topic to me than your ego-laden rants).
I am fully bilingual. I moved here without knowing more than 5 words of english. Would you like me to write in Romanian to assure you? However that is no excuse for my grammatical errors, as most would not have the syntax right but the grammar and punctuation would be. I took my English class my first semester so I am a little rusty, I had fixed my issue with comas during that point. Took a bunch of business and science classes and it faded away. The point is it can easily be fixed and get me back to where I need to be and remain there.
Last edited by future liT1g4tor on Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:11 pm

future liT1g4tor wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:

I am fully bilingual. I was born in Galati, Romania. Moved to San Francisco in Dec. of 99 without knowing more than 5 words of english. Would you like me to write in Romanian to assure you ?
Damn, I was off by a hair. You're fluent in English and have severe writing issues without technically being a native speaker. I still say that in the spirit of betting, everyone else should pay up.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:13 pm

Dude, chill about the language thing.

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:17 pm

I, for one, am glad you resolved your coma issues. But the lingering brain damage I would be wholly concerned with.

future liT1g4tor

Bronze

Post by future liT1g4tor » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:21 pm

cavalier1138 wrote: Damn, I was off by a hair. You're fluent in English and have severe writing issues without technically being a native speaker. I still say that in the spirit of betting, everyone else should pay up.
Pay up? Don't try to steal Anonymouse's shine. You wouldn't even be on the subject if he didn't bring it up and I think the second person to do so did without even seeing it was already brought up. Also, he even guessed right, you guessed wrong. And although it was a guess you even asserted it almost as if you thought you were right.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:26 pm

future liT1g4tor wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote: Damn, I was off by a hair. You're fluent in English and have severe writing issues without technically being a native speaker. I still say that in the spirit of betting, everyone else should pay up.
Pay up? Don't try to steal Anonymouse's shine. You wouldn't even be on the subject if he didn't bring it up and I think the second person to do so did without even seeing it was already brought up. Also, he even guessed right, you guessed wrong. And although it was a guess you even asserted it almost as if you thought you were right.
(Just FYI, Nony is female.)

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:37 pm

future liT1g4tor wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:

Yep, this confirms that you most likely will be editor of a T6 Law Review and top 5% of your class. As for the bar exam, you should strongly consider taking the exam in Arizona, Texas, or Ohio as these states recognize the examinee who scores the highest score during each administration. You wouldn't want to put your score to waste by simply being a "Pass" like many of the rest of us. Not to mention, if this DA employee wasn't genuine in his offer or was maybe "on the fence" then this would persuade him.

I hope you stay active on the forum and we can follow you throughout your law school and beginning career. I am really curious how this strange story pans out. I had a hard time sleeping last night because I kept thinking about this and wondering:
Was this rock star DA employee, who knows his father-in-law, serious? How serious should he take this offer? Is or was it a job offer?
Don't lose any more sleep than you should be over me. God knows your student loans are keeping you up enough.

If I were Top 5 at a T6 no less why would I go to the DA's office? Do you take me for one of those Yale weirdos? Which I despise, btw. I so would join the skull & bones.

How would one transition to BigLaw after being a prosecutor like Harvey Spectre? Did they already have the jobs lined up and they just decided to go into prosecution? Or is it if you graduated at let's say a good spot in your graduating class from Harvard you can go into prosecution for a couple of years and will still appeal to BigLaw firms? I can imagine that doing prosecutorial work for too long will lead to you not being able to transition to anything really due to the fact that the main experience you gain wouldn't really be significantly advantageous to anything, really. Am I completely wrong or just to a degree ?
My monthly student loan payment is $183.64. I don't have that high of a loan balance. Look, right now you haven't taken the LSAT, you haven't been admitted to law school, you haven't graduated law school, and you haven't taken the bar exam. Your only job "offer" is at a DA office. I would say your future looks pretty bleak.

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:39 pm

I think OP is going to struggle with the Writing Sample portion of the LSAT. This may keep him out of law school completely.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:39 pm

future liT1g4tor wrote:If I were Top 5 at a T6 no less why would I go to the DA's office?
Well now that's just rude.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

future liT1g4tor

Bronze

Post by future liT1g4tor » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:56 pm

kellyfrost wrote:I think OP is going to struggle with the Writing Sample portion of the LSAT. This may keep him out of law school completely.
Again, that's an assumption. This points out my earlier post that you can have all the education but you need common sense. Do you honestly think I would put the same effort into an exam that will determine the probabilty of my successes as I would into a thread on a forum?

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:10 pm

future liT1g4tor wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:I think OP is going to struggle with the Writing Sample portion of the LSAT. This may keep him out of law school completely.
Again, that's an assumption. This points out my earlier post that you can have all the education but you need common sense. Do you honestly think I would put the same effort into an exam that will determine the probabilty of my successes as I would into a thread on a forum?
Please keep us updated on your progress with regard to practice LSAT writing samples. TYIA.
Last edited by MKC on Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

future liT1g4tor

Bronze

Post by future liT1g4tor » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:42 pm

kellyfrost wrote:
My monthly student loan payment is $183.64. I don't have that high of a loan balance. Look, right now you haven't taken the LSAT, you haven't been admitted to law school, you haven't graduated law school, and you haven't taken the bar exam. Your only job "offer" is at a DA office. I would say your future looks pretty bleak.

It was a joke, I got the impression you don't have high student loans for some reason prior to posting that.

I would say having someone tell me I can work at the DA's office where I wouldn't even have thought of wanting to work with LS 2 years away is quite the opposite of bleak. Keep in mind that I have the resources to start my own practice if I had to. Also, I can see if you were telling me this about Med School. It just doesn't fit, that isn't me. My interests don't align and I would have trouble with the MCAT, etc. Also, acceptance rates at med schools are much much lower, on the contrary job prospects are much higher but that's not the point. The point is I would hate preparing for it, I would hate taking the test, I would hate attending Med School.

We are talking about something I have thought about for 5 years and I have decided to pursue it. I have the resources to attend, I will most likely get a scholarship anyway. I have a high GPA, I understand the 5 sections of the LSAT and I have PT'ed pretty high without heavy studying just to get an impression of the LSAT. I have a game plan I will follow to really prepare me for the LSAT when the time comes. This includes hiring tutors if need be.

I don't want to overwhelm myself with it or lead myself in the wrong direction so I am taking it slow. I will heavily induce myself into an LSAT induced coma the summer prior to my senior year. I will purchase everything I have read that will help me the most. I will study 3-5 hours a day since concentration is not a problem and I enjoy learning about it, my philosophy classes were fun to me.

I will PT until I perfect it. I played Cornerback/Safety without playing prior to high school because practice makes perfect. I broke the record for the mile run because I woke up at 5am & kept running a mile everyday in a manner that will evolve my speed & endurance until my time got faster & faster. The same I will do when I PT, the scores will get higher & higher.

You must also have the heart & the grit. It is also hard if you don't have the athletic abilities to get yourself in the right shape for it. The same is true for the LSAT, if you don't have the mental capabilities to practice in a manner that makes you succeed at it. It would be like trying to lift heavy weights you can't press, your muscles just will not get any bigger.

Again, if we were talking about the MCAT. No matter how hard I studied, I probably will not succeed at it, although I have a hard time believing this since I believe you can do anything if you set your mind up for it and if your interests align. But they don't, so that is why I say I probably will not succeed because I am not motivated for it.

I wanted to be a artist/music producer at 14, everyday I read numerous technical books and purchased all the programs and experimented with them. Afterwards, I experimented with it as I understood it and it actually amounted to me composing music. Then I began providing my expertise for other people. By 17 I have produced for people that have sold their music and have been signed by labels. Further down the road, I wasn't just capable of producing music and recording, mixing & mastering myself & others, but learned how to manage and publish music to receive royalties for works provided. I learned marketing traits that I developed a company outside the music realm with.

Although I wasn't a large music producer that made millions & got famous. It wasn't necessarily in my interest to do so, since I focused on what I can accomplish outside of the music to establish a life for myself. I thought I was just going to be a construction contractor & make 250k/year and live a good life, but that is not what I wanted to do. Of course, no one would give something like that up but I didn't solely bring it about, it was through family and in the family it remains.

The point of the music producer thing isn't to tell my story but to establish the following point. At 12, I thought it would be impossible to be a music producer/artist, it just doesn't happen, as far as learning all of the material and being able to do what I do in a recording studio. The same is true for when I was 17-18 about being a lawyer, I thought it was just impossible if you weren't an honor roll student in high school regardless of how bad you wanted to be one. By 21 I realized I can become a lawyer. I went to CC, got a 4.0 and transferred to a university where I maintained an honors GPA & made the Dean's list.

I will put everything I have into this standardized test. I haven't produced music in 3 years. I haven't worked construction in 3 years. I gave up my life to do this, and while some of you might say I shouldn't have. I can always go back to it. I can even get a law degree & not be a lawyer but go back to construction (regardless if I can pass the bar or not). I have a plan if I can't get into a good LS, but that doesn't matter because as I have stated I can go to LS & not be a lawyer. Because I have Plan B, C, & D with regard to LS, I will most likely be able to do Plan A. Which is attend a T14 & go into BigLaw.

As for complaining about BigLaw, it is doing something you love to do, although most people don't love that type of stuff/environment/clients, etc. Try waking up around 6am to arrive at work at 7am to work until 7pm or later 6 days a week (sometimes even on Sundays) doing something physical that you don't really like. I am not an engineer like my father, I didn't enjoy the work, every job we did wasn't a puzzle to me that I can easily figure out.

It was 12 hours+ of hard work that had to be done without dealing with anybody else other than one or two workers. When I would get home and lay in bed, my mind would play in a very calm tone the sound of the work we did that day, whatever it was, the sound even played me to sleep because it is all I did all day without too much time to talk. I am also a people person, it is what I am, who I am so working in Law is working with people to a degree, no?.
Last edited by future liT1g4tor on Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anon.y.mousse.

Silver

Post by Anon.y.mousse. » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:47 pm

future liT1g4tor wrote: I am also a people person
lol sure.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:51 pm

Anon.y.mousse. wrote:
lol sure.
Insert Office Space "people skills" clip here.

Nice PS draft, OP. The future looks bright.

future liT1g4tor

Bronze

Post by future liT1g4tor » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:54 pm

Anon.y.mousse. wrote:
lol sure.
Seriously, I am. My wife has to even stop me from conversing most of the time or being too enthusiastic when engaging with others, regardless of what we are talking about/doing.

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:55 pm

future liT1g4tor wrote: As for complaining about BigLaw, it is doing something you love to do, although most people don't love that type of stuff/environment/clients, etc. Try waking up around 6am to arrive at work at 7am to work until 7pm or later 6 days a week (sometimes even on Sundays) doing something physical that you don't really like. I am not an engineer like my father, I didn't enjoy the work, every job we did wasn't a puzzle to me that I can easily figure out.

It was 12 hours+ of hard work that had to be done without dealing with anybody else other than one or two workers. When I would get home and lay in bed, my mind would play in a very calm tone the sound of the work we did that day, whatever it was, the sound even played me to sleep because it is all I did all day without too much time to talk. I am also a people person, it is what I am, who I am so working in Law is working with people to a degree, no?.
I framed houses for eight years dude, and it is not the same kind of mentally draining work that sitting in a law office entails. I got a great job when I graduated, and I'm glad to be here, but you don't sound like you have any reference point whatsoever with regard to the practice of law. I promise you, carrying lumber and playing with Paslodes all day isn't half as exhausting as this. It's just mental fatigue instead of physical fatigue.

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:55 pm

future liT1g4tor wrote:
Anon.y.mousse. wrote:
lol sure.
Seriously, I am. My wife has to even stop me from conversing most of the time or being too enthusiastic when engaging with others, regardless of what we are talking about/doing.
QFBergers

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”