Yale 1L taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
purplepen55

New

Yale 1L taking questions

Post by purplepen55 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:45 pm

Avoiding a paper and seeing as there's a dearth of Yale posts, happy to pay it forward/procrastinate at the same time.

cc268

New

Re: Yale 1L taking questions

Post by cc268 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:10 pm

What were you numbers ?
Is 1L year at YLS really that relatively lax because of P/F ?

purplepen55

New

Post by purplepen55 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:06 am

LSAT above median, GPA below.

P/F first semester is as lax as you want to make it. Generally, put 200 people smart and intense enough to get into YLS in one place and most of them aren't going to take their foot off the gas. People want to impress profs. It's the only way to get letters of rec first semester. It affects who you do research with, if that's your goal early on. Also, people here generally want to learn and at a minimum, don't like to do badly.

All that said, if you want to chill out first semester (and certainly some people do) there's no real lasting downside. You have the rest of law school to figure out where you want to exert yourself, whether its classes, clinics, research or stuff totally unrelated to law school.

Kaziende

Bronze

Post by Kaziende » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:34 am

Thanks for doing this! What do you think were the main factors that made you a successful applicant? Any advice for 0Ls trying to maximize their chances?

euler

New

Post by euler » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:54 am

purplepen55 wrote:Avoiding a paper and seeing as there's a dearth of Yale posts, happy to pay it forward/procrastinate at the same time.
Thank you for sharing information!

What do you find most interesting academically at Yale Law up to this point?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

purplepen55

New

Post by purplepen55 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:32 am

What do you think were the main factors that made you a successful applicant? Any advice for 0Ls trying to maximize their chances?

In terms of things you can control, watch Asha's videos/read her blog about PS. My #s were in range but I think personal statement and probably recs, though I never saw them. I've read tons of personal statements and thought 'why do I care?' Keep in mind that you're applying in a pool of people similarly situated to you. Think about the kinds of things that really are insightful/unique to you and your life experiences. Be as critical as possible when thinking about how generic your topic/takeaway is. A generic topic can be made interesting by a unique takeaway. Conversely, a unique topic can be made uninteresting by a generic takeaway.

Haven't been here long enough yet to give a good answer but generally, the people here and sidebar conversations after classes or speakers. That was the main draw over HS to be honest. Quality of intellectual conversations (on average) that I had with people just felt a lot higher at Y.

KissMyAxe

Bronze

Post by KissMyAxe » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:38 am

euler wrote:
purplepen55 wrote:Avoiding a paper and seeing as there's a dearth of Yale posts, happy to pay it forward/procrastinate at the same time.

I'll join you if you don't mind Purple. I'm also procrastinating right now (bet it's the same paper).

Euler, as for me academically , the speaking events are completely unbelievable. There are literally 5-6 big speaking events every day for the students to choose between. Purple can fill in any gaps I miss, but in our time here, we've had Justices Breyer and Kagan, a couple dozen foreign supreme court justices for the international constitutionality conference, and about 20 different Federal judges, including Judges Kavanaugh, Cabranes, and Kozinski. On that note, the professors are really cool. The day Breyer came to talk, it was during a larger class run by Guido Calabresi. When Guido saw some of his students in line, he grabbed Breyer and pulled him over to them, saying "You better be interesting Steve. They're missing my jokes for this." Other speakers that come to mind are Carolina Krass, general counsel for the CIA and Joseph Tsai, vice chairman of the Ali Baba group.

I'll also agree with purple about the student body. Obviously, HLS and SLS students are also very intelligent. However, it felt to me that YLS students in general have had more interesting life experiences and are more open to discussing them.
Kaziende wrote:Thanks for doing this! What do you think were the main factors that made you a successful applicant? Any advice for 0Ls trying to maximize their chances?
Kaz, I didn't personally read Asha's blog when I was applying, but I'm sure that's very good advice. I do think recommendations are indescribably important. But most importantly, I think you should examine your life experiences, and find out what makes you you. Everyone has something that makes them unique, and that's what you need to show in your application. Since YLS is the only school where professors make the choice (outside of the 50 the admissions office admits off the bat), you really have to show them you're likable and interesting, because you'll be sharing the hallway with them for 3 years (whereas you have very little to do with admissions once you're in).

purplepen55

New

Post by purplepen55 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:51 am

Agree w Axe. As JD Vance put it, this place feels like nerd Hollywood.

"On my first day at Yale Law School, there were posters in the hallways announcing an event with Tony Blair, the former British prime minister. I couldn’t believe it: Tony Blair was speaking to a room of a few dozen students? If he came to Ohio State, he would have filled an auditorium of a thousand people. “Yeah, he speaks at Yale all the time,” a friend told me. “His son is an undergraduate.” A few days after that, I nearly bumped into a man as I turned a corner to walk into the law school’s main entrance. I said, “Excuse me,” looked up, and realized the man was New York governor George Pataki. These sorts of things happened at least once a week. Yale Law School was like nerd Hollywood, and I never stopped feeling like an awestruck tourist." http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/yal ... b1bbbc11b9

euler

New

Post by euler » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:46 pm

purplepen55 wrote:Agree w Axe. As JD Vance put it, this place feels like nerd Hollywood.

"On my first day at Yale Law School, there were posters in the hallways announcing an event with Tony Blair, the former British prime minister. I couldn’t believe it: Tony Blair was speaking to a room of a few dozen students? If he came to Ohio State, he would have filled an auditorium of a thousand people. “Yeah, he speaks at Yale all the time,” a friend told me. “His son is an undergraduate.” A few days after that, I nearly bumped into a man as I turned a corner to walk into the law school’s main entrance. I said, “Excuse me,” looked up, and realized the man was New York governor George Pataki. These sorts of things happened at least once a week. Yale Law School was like nerd Hollywood, and I never stopped feeling like an awestruck tourist." http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/yal ... b1bbbc11b9
Haha, just finishing his memoir and find his words really poignant.

Thank you and Axe very much. Good luck on your papers!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:30 pm

Have you had a lot of sex with other Yale Law students or is the student body at the law school not sexually active?
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

curry1

Silver

Post by curry1 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:59 pm

KissMyAxe wrote:
euler wrote:

I'll join you if you don't mind Purple. I'm also procrastinating right now (bet it's the same paper).

Euler, as for me academically , the speaking events are completely unbelievable. There are literally 5-6 big speaking events every day for the students to choose between. Purple can fill in any gaps I miss, but in our time here, we've had Justices Breyer and Kagan, a couple dozen foreign supreme court justices for the international constitutionality conference, and about 20 different Federal judges, including Judges Kavanaugh, Cabranes, and Kozinski. On that note, the professors are really cool. The day Breyer came to talk, it was during a larger class run by Guido Calabresi. When Guido saw some of his students in line, he grabbed Breyer and pulled him over to them, saying "You better be interesting Steve. They're missing my jokes for this." Other speakers that come to mind are Carolina Krass, general counsel for the CIA and Joseph Tsai, vice chairman of the Ali Baba group.

I'll also agree with purple about the student body. Obviously, HLS and SLS students are also very intelligent. However, it felt to me that YLS students in general have had more interesting life experiences and are more open to discussing them.
Kaziende wrote:Thanks for doing this! What do you think were the main factors that made you a successful applicant? Any advice for 0Ls trying to maximize their chances?
Kaz, I didn't personally read Asha's blog when I was applying, but I'm sure that's very good advice. I do think recommendations are indescribably important. But most importantly, I think you should examine your life experiences, and find out what makes you you. Everyone has something that makes them unique, and that's what you need to show in your application. Since YLS is the only school where professors make the choice (outside of the 50 the admissions office admits off the bat), you really have to show them you're likable and interesting, because you'll be sharing the hallway with them for 3 years (whereas you have very little to do with admissions once you're in).
Are CLS and Chicago students also very intelligent? Or are they peons who are functionally irrelevant to New Havenites?

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:06 pm

Yale sounds like it is full of well-adjusted people

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:06 pm

curry1 wrote: Are CLS and Chicago students also very intelligent? Or are they peons who are functionally irrelevant to New Havenites?

didn't you recently get in trouble with respect to a weird sarcastic comment about "yalies"? Why are so infatuated with YLS/feel slighted so easily?
Last edited by runinthefront on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

curry1

Silver

Post by curry1 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:30 pm

runinthefront wrote:
curry1 wrote: Are CLS and Chicago students also very intelligent? Or are they peons who are functionally irrelevant to New Havenites?

didn't you recently get in trouble with respect to a weird sarcastic comment about "yalies"? Why are so infatuated with YLS/feel slighted so easily?
I'm not quite sure what "get in trouble" really means on a law school forum. I'm not very familiar with the mechanics of the board and I accidentally posted anonymously. I think that YLS selects for "soft" factors that unfairly (even if unintentionally) benefit students from wealthy backgrounds. So, I think that "kissmyaxe's" comments on Yale students somehow being "special" in any relevant or valuable way compared to students at other top law schools is laughable. Perhaps I feel "slighted" because I don't come from an elite background and worry that my application won't be taken as seriously despite my strong profile.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:44 pm

To the extent background is destiny, the factors you identify come into play at the other top law schools, too.

curry1

Silver

Post by curry1 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:54 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:To the extent background is destiny, the factors you identify come into play at the other top law schools, too.
Definitely, I could sense the condescension from my interviewer at one of CCN a few weeks ago (despite being at/above both 75ths). I'm sure I'll endure plenty of that from other students wherever I matriculate. just think that YLS overprivileges such factors as undergrad pedigree and prestigious work experience in an absurd and self-congratulatory fashion.

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:29 pm

Many people don't go to YLS and still do fine. I know it's weird, but it happens.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:15 am

zot1 wrote:Many people don't go to YLS and still do fine. I know it's weird, but it happens.
Yes, but have they acquired a resistance to methane gas?

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:56 am

Nebby wrote:
zot1 wrote:Many people don't go to YLS and still do fine. I know it's weird, but it happens.
Yes, but have they acquired a resistance to methane gas?
Probably not. They'll be the first to go when survival of the fittest and whatnot happens.

KissMyAxe

Bronze

Post by KissMyAxe » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:44 am

curry1 wrote:
runinthefront wrote:

I'm not quite sure what "get in trouble" really means on a law school forum. I'm not very familiar with the mechanics of the board and I accidentally posted anonymously. I think that YLS selects for "soft" factors that unfairly (even if unintentionally) benefit students from wealthy backgrounds. So, I think that "kissmyaxe's" comments on Yale students somehow being "special" in any relevant or valuable way compared to students at other top law schools is laughable. Perhaps I feel "slighted" because I don't come from an elite background and worry that my application won't be taken as seriously despite my strong profile.
Curry, for what it's worth, I do not come from an elite background either. I'd be happy to talk more about YLS admissions with regards to that in private. However, I can say, your fears are not unfounded. Look, I'm known as pretty social and get along and like every person at the school with like one exception. But JD Vance felt out of place here (who everyone is obsessed with at the moment btw), and I definitely have at times as well. Something like 85% of our class went to an Ivy League school or a select few others (Williams, Oxbridge, Mcgill, Stanford, Wellesley, etc.) I think we have like 40 or 50 Yale college students. Demographically, only about 10% of students have household incomes of less than $100,000, while a shocking amount make over $500,000 or even a million. Many went to elite prep schools like Choate and Exeter. It's also true that there is a prominent professor here who rejects state school students because he feels they need too much remedial help.

That said, none of that changes what my classmates have accomplished. A friend of mine built a drone system that can carry vaccines to children in third world countries. Another was a golden gloves champion boxer and another was a great college football player. It's not all Rhodes/Marshall scholars (though they do of course exist and are very nice and down to earth). Everyone has some cool background story or experience like that. They accomplish these amazing things because they are very smart and they are passionate about their interests. I cannot think of anyone who coasted on their parents' reputation. And they don't treat you any differently because of your background, if anything, they have a lot of respect for first generation students (and depending on your politics, there are many students from lower class backgrounds in FedSoc and in First Generation Professionals). They might lack self-awareness sometimes (talking about their favorite places to go in Europe in front of you), but they're still really wonderful people, and I feel very privileged to be here. Provided you have the numbers and the softs, you will also be taken seriously by the professors, many of whom are embarrassed by our school's economic diversity and would love to bring in more lower-income students. I was.

(and fyi, since you're a 0L, I think you'll find most students in the T14 are from privileged backgrounds. Those students typically perform better on the LSAT and have higher GPAs, and the emphasis on the LSAT in admissions necessitates that)
kellyfrost wrote:Have you had a lot of sex with other Yale Law students or is the student body at the law school not sexually active?
So, a very large percentage of YLS students are either married or in very long-term relationships (that accounts for 15 members of my small group). In my social circle, there have not been any hookups with law school students, and I don't believe I know of any relationships that have formed in the 1L class (though there are some preexisting relationships in the student body). I think because the class is so small, people are wary of starting relationships and having it end badly. That said, there is a graduate school bar called GPSCY where some law students go to chat up people from other schools. I think I've also heard of some people going to Mory's, but I can't imagine why.

So, I think Kelly's question was probably in jest, but I'm sure some students are curious about this, and I am willing to answer questions like these. Feel free to ask me anything from admissions, to academics, to social questions, to problems I have with the school. I'm obviously not going to out any of my classmates or professors, but I'm willing to talk about anything that's not inappropriate and halfway reasonable.

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:35 pm

If course they accomplished lots of wonderful things. It's very easy to have hobbies when your parents pay for them and you don't have to work to help your single mom feed four other kids while your dad is dying on cancer.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:42 pm

zot1 wrote:If course they accomplished lots of wonderful things. It's very easy to have hobbies when your parents pay for them and you don't have to work to help your single mom feed four other kids while your dad is dying on cancer.
Though I think the methane in New Haven causes permanent brain damage, this is a dumb hill

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:44 pm

zot1 wrote:If course they accomplished lots of wonderful things. It's very easy to have hobbies when your parents pay for them and you don't have to work to help your single mom feed four other kids while your dad is dying on cancer.
I don't think anyone is disputing this? It doesn't make the people who accomplish things any less intelligent or experienced though, however much easier it was for them to get there than many.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:28 pm

Pretty sure if people keep making broad and insulting generalizations about Yale students, Yale students are eventually going to stop taking questions. Stop shitting on the people who are volunteering their time to help others potentially get into Yale.

KissMyAxe

Bronze

Post by KissMyAxe » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:37 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
I don't think anyone is disputing this? It doesn't make the people who accomplish things any less intelligent or experienced though, however much easier it was for them to get there than many.
Thanks Nony. I appreciate it.

I get that some of you have an irrational hatred of YLS, but purple and I aren't making admissions decisions. I just was helped out a lot on this board when I was applying, and seeing as there are people on here applying to YLS, thought I'd jump in and talk about the school and answer questions people might have (especially since attending a school is a very expensive decision).

edit: scooped by kalvano.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”