COMMON 0L QUESTIONS books, study guides, E&Es, studying,etc Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Ipsa Dixit

Bronze

Re: If you could ONLY buy 1 study guide for each class...

Post by Ipsa Dixit » Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:17 am

stuffedburrito wrote:What about the Emanuel for Property? I just bought it!!! :shock:
I don't use commercial outlines on account of I can get outlines for free from previous students. I only use the old outlines to fill in gaps in my own.

bocifious

New

Post by bocifious » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:22 pm

Contracts - E&E
Civil Procedure - Friedenthal hornbook first semester, E&E second
Torts - Prosser
Criminal Law - E&E (I have the dressler book but haven't looked at it yet)
Con Law - Nowak/Rotunda hornbook
Property - Burke E&E (have the Burke casebook) + EFI nutshell (co-written by my prof)

I have most of the E&Es and hornbooks. I would say that you should check out your casebook/syllabus first. A lot of the supplements were clear winners after looking at the order we were going in and the cases we were going over.

LawSchoolStrategies

New

Post by LawSchoolStrategies » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:19 pm

Without a doubt, the Gilbert's property outline was the single best study aid for any class I used all throughout law school. Maybe it just fit my professor perfectly, but it's got everything you need to do well on the exam. I know people that hardly ever went to class, but really studied the Gilbert's outline and did well in the class. Not saying that's what you should do, but I would strongly recommend this study aid for property. Just my opinion. Good luck this semester.
Last edited by LawSchoolStrategies on Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:21 pm

First of all, bocifious, your avatar is amazing. And hilarious.
Second, and this may be showing my lack of experience, are there different E&E or Hornbooks that you should buy depending on what school you attend? I'm over a year away from even starting but I'm trying to get an idea of what I'll need. I know casebooks change, but do E&Es or HBs?

LawSchoolStrategies

New

Post by LawSchoolStrategies » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:26 pm

Crystalhawkeye,

Sure there are differnet study aids that are more suited for particular professors, but generally they are pretty generally applicable. I would ask prior students about your professor and what study aid they used. By the end of every class I took in my first year, a consensus always seemed to emerge on what study aid people thought was the best. For example, everybody was loving on Chemerinsky for Constitutional Law. So you should look into that. It also depends on your studying style, so you also need to take that into consideration.

Good luck.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:52 pm

Thanks a bunch!

Mrkottonmouth

New

Post by Mrkottonmouth » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:27 pm

Heh, forgive my naivety, but what does E&E stand for?

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:19 pm

What does everyone recommend for Criminal Law. I see that people have stated Criminal Procedure books, but isn't that a separate course??

TTT-LS

Silver

Post by TTT-LS » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:30 pm

-
Last edited by TTT-LS on Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:46 pm

I really liked Dressler's Understanding Criminal Law.

mumbling2myself

Bronze

Post by mumbling2myself » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:48 pm

TTT-LS wrote:E&E stands for examples and explanations. They are NOT the be all end all people make them out to be. Some are good (Civ Pro), others suck (Contracts, apparently). I liked the Property E&E last year, but others said they didn't (mumbling2myself). Nobody buys the conlaw E&E because Chemerinsky's treatise is 1000x better (though also considerably longer).
To be clear, I loved my property E&E. I was referring to the idea of using it a prep-reading over the summer. I don't think it offers the same kind of hand-holding as the torts/civ pro/crim books, which I think are far more accessible for that kind of thing if you really insist on doing it.

Alexandria

Silver

Post by Alexandria » Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:10 am

Contracts: Chirelstein (and the hornbook my prof wrote. If your professor wrote a book on the subject or part of the subject, buy the book.)
Con Law: Chemerinsky
Civ Pro: E&E
Crim: Dressler
Torts and Property: Didn't find anything earth-shattering for these. Used Gilbert's, E&E, C&I, etc.
Last edited by Alexandria on Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

edmoser

New

Post by edmoser » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:17 am

One tip I have that relates to pretty much all study guides is that it won't hurt to get an edition old version (i.e. the 2d version instead of most recent 3d). If you look on amazon, there's a little box just under the prices for the most recent versions which you can click on to bring up a list of older edition books. The type of law you learn in 1L doesn't change after a couple years; the publisher just wants to bring in more money for a slight variation of the same material. I'm sure a lot of you either worked before going to law school or have rich parents so you don't mind buying all new, but if you're like me this is a good way to pick up various study guides w/o having to pick and choose which ones will fit into your budget.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mumbling2myself

Bronze

Post by mumbling2myself » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:21 am

edmoser wrote:One tip I have that relates to pretty much all study guides is that it won't hurt to get an edition old version (i.e. the 2d version instead of most recent 3d). If you look on amazon, there's a little box just under the prices for the most recent versions which you can click on to bring up a list of older edition books. The type of law you learn in 1L doesn't change after a couple years; the publisher just wants to bring in more money for a slight variation of the same material. I'm sure a lot of you either worked before going to law school or have rich parents so you don't mind buying all new, but if you're like me this is a good way to pick up various study guides w/o having to pick and choose which ones will fit into your budget.
For the most part this is true. Though there will be some changes (Civ Pro: Twombly; Con Law: Heller, and 2nd amendment generally), these changes will be incidental to the rest of the material and can be learned without a study guide.

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:52 am

This is prolly going to sound silly, but here goes..

Do we need/should we buy our own copy of frcp rules, the ABCs of UCC, or any other books like that??

Alexandria

Silver

Post by Alexandria » Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:57 am

lishi wrote:This is prolly going to sound silly, but here goes..

Do we need/should we buy our own copy of frcp rules, the ABCs of UCC, or any other books like that??
You will probably have to have FRCP for Civ Pro. You might get a free copy from your Lexis rep like we did. We had to have a copy of Section 2 of the UCC for Contracts, but ours was a very UCC-heavy class due to it being our prof's area of expertise, and I'm not sure to what degree most Contracts classes focus on it.

Ipsa Dixit

Bronze

Post by Ipsa Dixit » Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:24 pm

lishi wrote:What does everyone recommend for Criminal Law. I see that people have stated Criminal Procedure books, but isn't that a separate course??
The Sum & Substance CDs with Dressler

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mumbling2myself

Bronze

Post by mumbling2myself » Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:29 pm

Alexandria wrote:
lishi wrote:This is prolly going to sound silly, but here goes..

You will probably have to have FRCP for Civ Pro. You might get a free copy from your Lexis rep like we did. We had to have a copy of Section 2 of the UCC for Contracts, but ours was a very UCC-heavy class due to it being our prof's area of expertise, and I'm not sure to what degree most Contracts classes focus on it.
Depending on your prof, and how policy based the course is, you may need a copy of the FRCP with the rules notes (the ones our wexis reps handed out didn't have this). As for the UCC, our casebook provided UCC exerpts, which was all our prof required.

The bottom line: don't bother buying either until you've been given a list of course materials. :)

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:05 pm

Ok more questions....

What's the real difference between the Civ Pro: E&E (LinkRemoved) and the Glannon Guide for Civ Pro??? I see they are both written by the same person, so what does one have that the other doesn't??

The only difference I see is that the Glannon Guide is multiple choice, and the E&E is more reading.

TTT-LS

Silver

Post by TTT-LS » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:56 pm

-
Last edited by TTT-LS on Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:53 pm

TTT-LS wrote:I don't know wtf the "Glannon Guide" is. Everyone had the E&E, in my experience -- so I think when you hear 2Ls/3Ls casually refer to "Glannon," they mean the latter. I certainly found it useful.
Oh. Just because on the first page of this thread people talk about how the Glannon Guide is better than the EE. Maybe I was confused.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Alexandria

Silver

Post by Alexandria » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:13 am

Yeah, they really are two separate books, both written by Glannnon. Everyone I know used the E&E... I have no idea how the Glannon Guide is.

orangeswarm

Bronze

Post by orangeswarm » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:44 am

FRCP
http://www.law.cornell.edu/rules/frcp/

UCC
http://www.law.cornell.edu/ucc/ucc.table.html

scoop

New

Post by scoop » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:57 pm

Contracts everyone at my school had CASENOTES- which was keyed to their book. Never had to open the text book.

Property- nothing too good. I just used crunch time to study for the final and it helped a lot.

Civ Pro- E and E's and commercial outlines were good here.

Crim Law- Dressler (was okay)

Torts- Mastering Torts was great!

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:58 pm

Anyone who mentioned the Glannon Guide for Civ Pro want to say why??

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”