COMMON 0L QUESTIONS books, study guides, E&Es, studying,etc Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
idontwearskinnyjeans

New

Re: COMMON 0L QUESTIONS books, study guides, E&Es, studying,etc

Post by idontwearskinnyjeans » Fri May 08, 2009 9:23 am

Last edited by idontwearskinnyjeans on Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

TTT-LS

Silver

Post by TTT-LS » Fri May 08, 2009 11:39 am

Last edited by TTT-LS on Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Fri May 08, 2009 2:33 pm

I did think about that, but the main point (for me) was to stop the creating of ten different threads on the same topic, when there are obviously other threads about it. The main thing that gets asked is what books should I read, reviews of specific books, which is better, etc. Within each of those threads I think there is a good amount of people saying that reading ahead of time won't necessarily help you. I'm just afraid that by moving the book threads down that people wouldn't scroll down to find them and continue to post unnecessary threads.

prettypithy

New

Post by prettypithy » Fri May 08, 2009 7:51 pm

Here is my advice for 0L's. 3.9 going into the second semester. We'll see what I can post thereafter. :-P

Law School Confidential (I book briefed with the color system)
Getting to Maybe (the last chapters of the book detail what you need to do and why)
"Success in Law School" article (It is never too early to begin exam prep. Never!)
Glannon E & E for Civ Pro and the Glannon Multiple Choice book for Civ Pro (clutch!)
Law in a Flash Cards for Contracts (My professor hid the ball, these are good for black letter law)
I can't fully endorse a supplement for property--I did the E & E but I don't think they had a significant impact on my performance.
I used Dressler's Understanding Criminal Law but once again, I don't think it was particularly necessary. If you "get it" on your own, spend your supplement time on exam prep.
I used the E & E for Torts. It was good, but my class was really focused on the BLL so it wasn't necessary.
For Con, I used Chemerinksy and E & E. Frankly, I would recommend skipped Chemerinksy for Con Law I. Students always recommend it but it has a few flaws. 1) There are better sources for BLL namely, Bar Bri books. 2) My professor knows the Chemerinksy arguments by heart and downgrades anyone who uses them when they are not relevant to what was taught in the course. Usually, it is easy to distinguish between what is "taught in class" and what you learned in the supplement but my Con Law professor was very unclear so sometimes it was tough to tell what was "in the scope of the course".

Good luck, 0L's!!

TTT-LS

Silver

Post by TTT-LS » Fri May 08, 2009 8:56 pm

Last edited by TTT-LS on Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

prettypithy

New

Post by prettypithy » Sat May 09, 2009 1:31 pm

TTT-LS wrote:
prettypithy wrote:Here is my advice for 0L's. 3.9 going into the second semester. We'll see what I can post thereafter. :-P

Getting to Maybe (the last chapters of the book detail what you need to do and why)
"Success in Law School" article (It is never too early to begin exam prep. Never!)
Glannon E & E for Civ Pro and the Glannon Multiple Choice book for Civ Pro (clutch!)
Law in a Flash Cards for Contracts (My professor hid the ball, these are good for black letter law)
I can't fully endorse a supplement for property--I did the E & E but I don't think they had a significant impact on my performance.
I used Dressler's Understanding Criminal Law but once again, I don't think it was particularly necessary. If you "get it" on your own, spend your supplement time on exam prep.
I used the E & E for Torts. It was good, but my class was really focused on the BLL so it wasn't necessary.
For Con, I used Chemerinksy and E & E. Frankly, I would recommend skipped Chemerinksy for Con Law I. Students always recommend it but it has a few flaws. 1) There are better sources for BLL namely, Bar Bri books. 2) My professor knows the Chemerinksy arguments by heart and downgrades anyone who uses them when they are not relevant to what was taught in the course. Usually, it is easy to distinguish between what is "taught in class" and what you learned in the supplement but my Con Law professor was very unclear so sometimes it was tough to tell what was "in the scope of the course".

Good luck, 0L's!!
Just to be clear, you're recommending all of those for during 1L year, as opposed to during 0L summer, right? Certainly that would be the way I'd look at it -- and I agree that your list is pretty strong as far as picking out the better supplements for each class.
I think I read the first two as a 0L and all the supplements while actually in class as a 1L. Thanks for pointing that out. i would not recommend that anyone spend their whole summer leading up to 1L mired in legal texts that they are not yet equipped to understand. But the first two books will give 0L's a good sense of the challenge that lay ahead.

KentuckyFried

New

Post by KentuckyFried » Sat May 09, 2009 1:52 pm

thank you lishi

Arrow

Bronze

Post by Arrow » Sun May 10, 2009 5:55 am

I just saw all the links you posted. I must say, nice job (for reals). I always felt something like that would be extremely helpful (but as a 1L I was too busy and I am bad at searching).

Seriously. Nice job and people many years to come will thank you.

Posner

Bronze

Post by Posner » Sun May 10, 2009 1:39 pm

prettypithy wrote:Here is my advice for 0L's. 3.9 going into the second semester. We'll see what I can post thereafter. :-P

Good luck, 0L's!!
Don't forget this book afterwards:

http://www.amazon.com/Health-Journeys-P ... 635&sr=8-2

You'll surely need it if this is how you are approaching 0L.

Relax for the summer. Nothing you do ahead of time is going to help you. Doing well in law school is about working efficiently.

All you really need to do is read the cases, pay attention in class, take good notes, get some solid outlines from some 2L's if you can (if not make your own), and cram like hell at the end of the semester. No need for supplements unless you do this and still don't understand somethingSounds simple but 99% of people don't do this. Many people study in groups, study at home, etc. so they're on facebook, they're gchatting, etc. rather than studying efficiently in the library so they can go home, relax and not burn out.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ls2009

New

Post by ls2009 » Tue May 12, 2009 2:32 pm

awesome thread. thanks!

iagolives

Silver

Post by iagolives » Sat May 16, 2009 12:18 pm

ls2009 wrote:awesome thread. thanks!
+1 I will be referring to this A LOT as school gets closer. :)

granitemuse

New

Post by granitemuse » Mon May 18, 2009 4:40 pm

the Success in Law School article recommends the Nowak and Rotunda Con Law supplement.

http://www.amazon.com/Constitutional-La ... 976&sr=8-2

the amazon reviews are terrible, though.

is it worth anything above and beyond the Chemerinsky?

granitemuse

New

Post by granitemuse » Mon May 18, 2009 5:27 pm

granitemuse wrote:the Success in Law School article recommends the Nowak and Rotunda Con Law supplement.

http://www.amazon.com/Constitutional-La ... 976&sr=8-2

the amazon reviews are terrible, though.

is it worth anything above and beyond the Chemerinsky?
never mind, found my answer:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 6#p1278636

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Mon May 18, 2009 5:29 pm

Oh granite how I love that you asked your question in this thread, instead of starting a new one. :D :D :D :D

RudeDudewithAttitude

New

Post by RudeDudewithAttitude » Wed May 27, 2009 1:24 am

Awesome thread. Thanks!

MissMiddie

New

Post by MissMiddie » Wed May 27, 2009 10:06 am

Thanks OP and everyone else! This is a fantastic summary.

pany1985

Bronze

Post by pany1985 » Thu May 28, 2009 12:59 pm

Good stuff. I'm planning on buying some of these things now, but I'm not gonna bother wading into them until I actually get to school.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

pithypike

Bronze

Post by pithypike » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:33 pm

Last edited by pithypike on Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yesofcourse

New

Post by yesofcourse » Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:45 pm

snotrocket

Bronze

Post by snotrocket » Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:08 pm

yesofcourse wrote:1
Just FYI, because I see that you're doing this to a bunch of threads: this is why we have that nifty "subscribe topic" feature, so that useful threads don't get cluttered up with "tags."

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:27 pm

snotrocket wrote:
yesofcourse wrote:1
Just FYI, because I see that you're doing this to a bunch of threads: this is why we have that nifty "subscribe topic" feature, so that useful threads don't get cluttered up with "tags."
The thread is stickied at the top of the Forum for Law School Students.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

snotrocket

Bronze

Post by snotrocket » Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:45 pm

mikeytwoshoes wrote:The thread is stickied at the top of the Forum for Law School Students.
Good point. Another reason that tagging it makes even less sense.

Skadden Stairs

Bronze

Post by Skadden Stairs » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:32 pm

While everyone is talking about books, I just wanted to remind people about betterworldbooks.com, in case you've forgotten :wink: .

Free shipping, which can be carbon-neutral for just like 15 cents more. Plus a bunch of other good stuff.

etudiantededroit

New

Post by etudiantededroit » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:13 pm

At a training course for work about a year ago, I was given an extra copy of the Blue Book (18th edition). Is this still current, or is there a more recent version I'll need to buy for the fall?

booker09

New

Post by booker09 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:02 pm

bookmarkkk. OP rocks. she IS the princess of TLS.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”