Is the age of 33 late to go to Law School? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
YHSCCN2020

New

Re: Is the age of 33 late to go to Law School?

Post by YHSCCN2020 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:52 pm

poptart123 wrote:
philepistemer wrote:
poptart123 wrote:It's never too late to pursue your dreams
This is generally bad advice. While you're not too old to go to law school, I would say that you're definitely too old to pay tuition to go to law school. Hitting 40 with a negative net worth is irresponsible if you have a family and sad if you don't.
It's generally good advice because one should be happy with their life rather than living with regret. Get the right LSAT score and you don't need to worry about tuition! Also, if OP wants to be a lawyer... what other advice do you want to give him? "Give up on your dreams; you're too old to pursue the profession you want!"
This +1

KENYADIGG1T

Bronze

Post by KENYADIGG1T » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:18 pm

I have a friend who is in her mid-40s and just started her 1L at a T14. I'm well aware it's an anecdote, but even if there is such a thing as "too old to go to law school" (something I highly doubt), you are nowhere near such a limit.

Startled Rabbit

New

Post by Startled Rabbit » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:30 pm

During OCI I met a V30 partner who started law school at 40. Worked out well for him in the long run for sure.

makingthemove

New

Post by makingthemove » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:26 pm

Is there an age that is deemed too late? I'm 33 right now and if I sit out the application cycle, my wife may be able to move with me, which would be pretty nice as I am fond of her. Any one here has a sense on the impact in job outcomes? I'm thinking of clerkships and patent litigation group.

makingthemove

New

Post by makingthemove » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:03 pm

makingthemove wrote:Is there an age that is deemed too late? I'm 33 right now and if I sit out the application cycle, my wife may be able to move with me, which would be pretty nice as I am fond of her. Any one here has a sense on the impact in job outcomes? I'm thinking of clerkships and patent litigation group.
Bumping for input. I was wondering if anyone has any take on this: is there any difference between a job candidate that is 37 vs one that is 38? I'm leaning to "no," but I would appreciate if anyone has any opinion on this.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:09 pm

makingthemove wrote:
makingthemove wrote:Is there an age that is deemed too late? I'm 33 right now and if I sit out the application cycle, my wife may be able to move with me, which would be pretty nice as I am fond of her. Any one here has a sense on the impact in job outcomes? I'm thinking of clerkships and patent litigation group.
Bumping for input. I was wondering if anyone has any take on this: is there any difference between a job candidate that is 37 vs one that is 38? I'm leaning to "no," but I would appreciate if anyone has any opinion on this.
No, there won't be a difference between 37 and 38 in hiring.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”