Is the age of 33 late to go to Law School? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
yeah

New

Is the age of 33 late to go to Law School?

Post by yeah » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:27 pm

Wipfelder

Silver

Re: Is the age of 33 late to go to Law School?

Post by Wipfelder » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:29 pm

Nope.

NonTradHealthLaw

Bronze

Post by NonTradHealthLaw » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:54 pm

Is it late? Yes, kind of. When I began at age 32 I was in the older 5% of my classmates.

Is it too late? No.

yeah

New

Post by yeah » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:18 pm

I've been waiting for more encouraging advice cause I really feel discouraged regarding the age!

ponderingmeerkat

Gold

Post by ponderingmeerkat » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:31 pm

yeah wrote:I've been waiting for more encouraging advice cause I really feel discouraged regarding the age!
I mean...dude...you're 33. One of the benefits I've experienced at 33 (and I imagine you've probably experienced this too)--you know how to get things done. Human/social interactions are a lot easier. Problems aren't as dire or as overwhelming as they used to be. There's also an expectation of competency that people give you at 33 they absolutely don't at 23.

So, all this to say, stop being so unsure of yourself. For fuck sake, enjoy the benefits of being an older student; be confident in your capabilities and your place in the world. Leave the neurotic, searching for outside approval to the 90s babies.

Good luck! :D

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jelufowoju

New

Post by jelufowoju » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:33 pm

yeah wrote:I've been waiting for more encouraging advice cause I really feel discouraged regarding the age!
You're obviously interested in pursuing a career as a lawyer. Think about it this way, law school is three years by the time you graduate you will be 36 years old. Would you rather be 36 with a law degree or 36 years old without one ? Many people enter law school in their late 20s and early 30s. One of them is Barack Obama.. (he was 27 when he matriculated to Harvard Law)

TL;DR: No 33 years old isn't too late to go to law school. Go ahead and apply.

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:43 pm

I was in my 40s when I started. You might be interested in checking out the Old School thread for the 30 and over crowd.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=143047

acr

Silver

Post by acr » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:54 pm

Is 33 too late? Depends on your goals/family situation/financial situation/law school options/work experience/millions of other variables. There is no one answer to this generic question.

If you're making $100K in a 9-5 job you enjoy and have family to support? 33 is probably too old.

If you're single, stuck in an entry level career, and have some decent options in terms of law school + scholarship then go.

It just depends man.

mukol

Bronze

Post by mukol » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:29 pm

acr wrote:Is 33 too late? Depends on your goals/family situation/financial situation/law school options/work experience/millions of other variables. There is no one answer to this generic question.

If you're making $100K in a 9-5 job you enjoy and have family to support? 33 is probably too old.

If you're single, stuck in an entry level career, and have some decent options in terms of law school + scholarship then go.

It just depends man.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:58 pm

No.

hdunlop

Bronze

Post by hdunlop » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:42 pm

It's absolutely late. It's absolutely not too late.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post by Barack O'Drama » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:41 pm

jelufowoju wrote:
You're obviously interested in pursuing a career as a lawyer. Think about it this way, law school is three years by the time you graduate you will be 36 years old. Would you rather be 36 with a law degree or 36 years old without one ? Many people enter law school in their late 20s and early 30s. One of them is Barack Obama.. (he was 27 when he matriculated to Harvard Law)

TL;DR: No 33 years old isn't too late to go to law school. Go ahead and apply.

Couldn't have said it better myself!
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hdunlop

Bronze

Post by hdunlop » Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:13 am

That's absurd for many reasons, but most importantly, 27 and 33 are obviously massively different.

You'll be one of the oldest in your class. If you're prepared to own that you'll also be one of the better students. I think there are places it hurts but mostly it helps.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bretby

Bronze

Post by bretby » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:20 am

hdunlop wrote:That's absurd for many reasons, but most importantly, 27 and 33 are obviously massively different.

You'll be one of the oldest in your class. If you're prepared to own that you'll also be one of the better students. I think there are places it hurts but mostly it helps.
How do you own or not own your age?

jelufowoju

New

Post by jelufowoju » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:35 am

hdunlop wrote:That's absurd for many reasons, but most importantly, 27 and 33 are obviously massively different.

I never said that 27 and 33 were even remotely close in terms of age, so if you're going to attempt to denigrate or refute any of my claims don't misrepresent what I said. I'm not sure if you did so intentionally or not, but don't do it again, it's an egregious way to argue. I said that many people don't attend law school until their late 20s / early 30 thirties and that therefore age alone should not be a deterrent for attending. I used Barack Obama illustrate my point because he was in his late 20s when he attended Harvard. OP obviously has their reasons for attending law school which they have not mentioned, but it seems that their only apprehension about pursuing this endeavour stems from their thinking that they're too old which is not at all the case. Just because the vast majority of students that are currently enrolled in law schools fall within a particular age range doesn't mean those who don't fall within that range should not attend.
Last edited by jelufowoju on Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hdunlop

Bronze

Post by hdunlop » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:58 am

You own your age by not worrying about it and taking advantage of the opportunities it offers and knowing there may be some drawbacks as well (eg, your idea of socialization may involve less Fireball or you have to worry more about an SO or kids). I'm convinced it can be unhelpful with clerkships for some judges; on the other hand, it's helpful with others. Etc. Happy to talk more with op by pm.

Other guy, you're basically saying many people get 167 to 177 on the LSAT. It's a ridiculous range. And the Obama thing is very ~ good luck follow your dreams ~. However, you're right that age should not be an obstacle if going in with eyes open.

Eternalsunshine

New

Post by Eternalsunshine » Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:48 pm

I'm a 33 y/o 1L. I'm significantly older than most of my classmates, but of course I knew that going in. You'll be too busy studying to think about your age, anyway (until you get headaches from staring at your computer screen because you're old and your eyes just aren't what they used to be).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post by Barack O'Drama » Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:05 pm

Eternalsunshine wrote:I'm a 33 y/o 1L. I'm significantly older than most of my classmates, but of course I knew that going in. You'll be too busy studying to think about your age, anyway (until you get headaches from staring at your computer screen because you're old and your eyes just aren't what they used to be).

Wait do your eyes really get bad at that young an age? Holy smokes!
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stardust84

New

Post by Stardust84 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:17 pm

I'm a 31 year old 1L, I dont even consider my age as a thing in the law school. Youre 33 not 50. You may be relatively older in a law school context but you are relatively young in human terms. You can easily expect to have a 30-year career ahead of you, so who cares?

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:56 pm

It matters in the employment context. Depends what you did and why you're switching to law, at least for firms.

Gold

Post by 84651846190 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:47 pm

It depends on your family situation and life goals. For me personally, hell yes; that's way too fucking old to be going to law school.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:57 pm

And for me, totally not too late at all. (As someone who's actually made it past 33. :lol: )

Voyager

Silver

Post by Voyager » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:46 pm

Age is the least of your concerns. Top of the list should be: is this a good career for me to pursue?

-Awful hours
-High stress
-Work for generally awful leaders
-Starting pay for most is not particularly great
-Most graduate with huge debt loads

But to answer your question: no, it's not "too late". If you are lucky enough to land a big law job, all the partners care about is the volume and quality of your output. Few last longer than 4-5 years anyway. Your age is a non-issue.

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:58 pm

Nope, not at all.

yeah

New

Post by yeah » Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:42 pm

What do you think about the future of legal profession? Do you think it's gonna be worth it as it once was?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”