State Attorney General Internship Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Gatman90

New

State Attorney General Internship

Post by Gatman90 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:21 pm

Hi everyone, I'm currently a 2L at a T2 with top 20% grades and I'm on law review. My goal is to get into a private firm after graduation, mostly because I've always had my goal set on a six figure salary (especially due to my debt load).

I came close to a few SA positions during OCI callbacks but ultimately came away empty handed. After failing to catch on anywhere else I interviewed and accepted a 2L summer internship with my state attorney general's office and I'll be splitting that with a state appellate judicial internship.

I'm trying to gauge whether these two things will ultimately help me get a firm job after graduation. I'd prefer not to clerk for a year but if I absolutely have to in order to get a firm job I'd definitely suck it up for a year. Do you guys think my choice to split with the AG and a state appellate judge was smart given that I couldn't get a SA job with a firm? Do any of you have any input as far as the likelihood of netting a firm job that pays around $90,000-$120,000 given my numbers? The state is NJ if that helps and I've already interned with a federal magistrate judge.

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Re: State Attorney General Internship

Post by PeanutsNJam » Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:34 pm

I don't know why nobody has bothered to tell you this yet, but a big firm job or any job paying 90k+ Is entirely out of your reach. Depending on your debt load, I would recommend doing PI and going for loan forgiveness.

A state clerkship isn't going to get you a biglaw job. And if you couldn't get a biglaw job, you certainly aren't getting a federal clerkship.

If you proceed and turn down any PI opportunities you have, you will be trapped doing doc review for 15/hr with a boat load of debt. Start busting ass for PI somehow.

transferror

Silver

Post by transferror » Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:54 pm

No, it's very unlikely you'll be able to find a firm in the 90-120k range. You won't get a federal clerkship, but state clerkships in NJ are very common and viewed differently here than the rest of the country. You've got a decent shot at a state appellate clerkship, which will give you a decent chance at NJ regional firms that pay 60-80k. That would be a good outcome (or at least the best you can realistically hope for).

PM me.

White Dwarf

Bronze

Post by White Dwarf » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:25 pm

For all intents and purposes, there's no such thing as a private firm job that pays $90-120K. At least not right out of school.

Gatman90

New

Post by Gatman90 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:11 am

Some words of encouragement to any current students perusing this sub-forum. As you can see from the responses to my initial question in this thread, the answers people offer here tend to skew highly negative -- albeit sometimes warranted. Despite the supposed lunacy of my quest for a decent paying job out of law school, I am now making over $130,000 working in an area of law that I love.

Bottom line is don't get discouraged by what you read here, even if someone (who hadn't even started law school yet) tells you your goals are "entirely out of reach."

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:03 am

Gatman90 wrote:Some words of encouragement to any current students perusing this sub-forum. As you can see from the responses to my initial question in this thread, the answers people offer here tend to skew highly negative -- albeit sometimes warranted. Despite the supposed lunacy of my quest for a decent paying job out of law school, I am now making over $130,000 working in an area of law that I love.

Bottom line is don't get discouraged by what you read here, even if someone (who hadn't even started law school yet) tells you your goals are "entirely out of reach."
I mean, congrats... but for every poster who comes back here to say "told you so," there are [80% of your class] who those posts would have been correct for. You bucked the odds, and that's great. But a post-graduation job at $130k (not in a secondary-market office of a big firm, if that's what you ended up doing) is almost unheard of. So what kind of job did you manage to find?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”