GULC Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:00 pm

missie

New

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Post by missie » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:03 pm

Gray wrote:
missie wrote:Does anyone have any opinions on international law I with Stewart?
Personally I love him a lot, but his style of teaching involves a lot of rambling stories, and he's a bit monotonous. I really enjoyed his classes, and think he is a delight, but I know other people were really bored in his lectures. FWIW if you want to take IL but don't know who to take it with, Stewart's IL exam is much more like a typical issue spotter exam than some of the other IL professors.
Thanks!

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:15 pm

In my opinion any class with the word "international" in the course name should be avoided at all costs

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:24 pm

ladybug1989

Bronze

Post by ladybug1989 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:21 pm

I had him last fall. Definitely a issue spotter, racehorse type exam, but it was fair.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Dipper

Bronze

Post by Dipper » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:26 pm

Anyone take Election Law (Smith) or Disability Discrimination Law (Nichol)?

Bronze

Post by 20171203 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:26 am

Last edited by 20171203 on Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RDA2930

New

Post by RDA2930 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:22 pm

Dipper wrote:Anyone take Election Law (Smith) or Disability Discrimination Law (Nichol)?
I had Smith for his practicum (not his E law class) and he is awesome. From reports from friends about the election law class, it seemed pretty chill but there is an exam at the end that I think is closed-book, so if you're not into that I'd recommend the practicum. No clue about the curve or anything like that, but people who took the class seemed to enjoy it.

No idea if Smith is teaching the practicum this year but that was hands down the best class I took during my 3 years at GULC (3 papers instead of an exam, barely any reading, essentially no curve, generous grading, interesting material). If you can get into the election law practicum I'd recommend that over the election law class.

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:32 pm

RDA2930 wrote:
Dipper wrote:Anyone take Election Law (Smith) or Disability Discrimination Law (Nichol)?
I had Smith for his practicum (not his E law class) and he is awesome. From reports from friends about the election law class, it seemed pretty chill but there is an exam at the end that I think is closed-book, so if you're not into that I'd recommend the practicum. No clue about the curve or anything like that, but people who took the class seemed to enjoy it.

No idea if Smith is teaching the practicum this year but that was hands down the best class I took during my 3 years at GULC (3 papers instead of an exam, barely any reading, essentially no curve, generous grading, interesting material). If you can get into the election law practicum I'd recommend that over the election law class.
The practicum is taught Gary Hebert and Danielle Lang this year, both of whom also work at the Campaign Legal Center. Hebert is a legend much like Smith and Lang is smart as shit and really nice but I have no idea how either of them is as a teacher.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SubmedianHomeskAlien

New

Post by SubmedianHomeskAlien » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:57 am

Is it correct that if I get a stipend for an externship, I cannot receive academic credit no matter what?

Also, what's the deal with some classes having 5 or 6 open slots, but I'm still not allowed to register because there's like 12 people on the waitlist who may or may not still be interested in the class? Is there a way around this idiocy?

Mr. Blackacre

Bronze

Post by Mr. Blackacre » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:29 pm

RDA2930 wrote:

The closed-book was the first year Smith taught the class, 2 years ago. He taught it again last year and it was an 8 hour take-home. Great class, great professor (obviously). He argued half the cases you study in the course.
Last edited by Mr. Blackacre on Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anonnymoose

New

Post by anonnymoose » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:13 pm

What's the best way 1Ls can find great outlines? I'm looking for outlines specifically for these classes:

Civ pro: Abernathy
Property: Byrne
Torts: Peller
Crim: Lopez
Contracts: Velikonja

Thank you!

butterfly333

New

Post by butterfly333 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:14 pm

anonnymoose wrote:What's the best way 1Ls can find great outlines? I'm looking for outlines specifically for these classes:

Thank you!

How do you know your small section?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

anonnymoose

New

Post by anonnymoose » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:21 pm

butterfly333 wrote:
anonnymoose wrote:What's the best way 1Ls can find great outlines? I'm looking for outlines specifically for these classes:

Thank you!

I don't. Those include my classes for next semester as well. :/

butterfly333

New

Post by butterfly333 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:01 pm

anonnymoose wrote:
butterfly333 wrote:

Thank you!

Darn! I thought there might be some secret way to find out. :)

anonnymoose

New

Post by anonnymoose » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:35 pm

butterfly333 wrote:
anonnymoose wrote:
butterfly333 wrote:

Thank you!

I wish!

Mr. Blackacre

Bronze

Post by Mr. Blackacre » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:18 pm

There are plenty of Abernathy outlines lying around. Ask your peer advisor / look around on the SBA bank / etc. I'll send you mine if you want lol. I've always found that the best thing when using other students' outlines was to blend in outlines from different people, b/c each outline usually has stuff that others don't.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Dipper

Bronze

Post by Dipper » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:26 pm

anonnymoose wrote:
butterfly333 wrote:
anonnymoose wrote:
butterfly333 wrote:

Thank you!

I wish!
There is, though it probably won't be open for a week or two. If you go into course evaluations through the student portal (as if you were to evaluate a course at the end of the semester) it will show what small section you're in. It's not up yet, though. Might not be up until a few days before orientation.

spook22

New

Post by spook22 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:31 pm

NU student here. Anyone know anything about Victoria Nourse? Deciding whether to take a seminar course she's teaching this semester.

Triangle

New

Post by Triangle » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:26 pm

Anyone know if Palmer lets you take Decedents' Estates pass/fail? I have heard some professors don't.

SubmedianHomeskAlien

New

Post by SubmedianHomeskAlien » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:46 pm

OCS is telling us to send out post-OCI "follow up" emails to reiterate our interest in firms we haven't heard back from within a week. I'm skeptical of this advice. Thoughts?

Also, is it expected/beneficial/annoying to send thank you emails after a CB interview?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:54 pm

spook22 wrote:NU student here. Anyone know anything about Victoria Nourse? Deciding whether to take a seminar course she's teaching this semester.
She's cool. Took her for my writing requirement class. If the class requires a paper, just make sure you keep her informed on your progress throughout the semester so she can tell you if you're going off the rails.

spook22

New

Post by spook22 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:47 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:
spook22 wrote:NU student here. Anyone know anything about Victoria Nourse? Deciding whether to take a seminar course she's teaching this semester.
She's cool. Took her for my writing requirement class. If the class requires a paper, just make sure you keep her informed on your progress throughout the semester so she can tell you if you're going off the rails.
Glad to hear that. She has an impressive resume and the class description sounded great, but a new/visiting professor is always a wildcard. Thanks for the intel.

ChristineBaskets

New

Post by ChristineBaskets » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:51 am

Hey everyone,

I'm taking an Externship seminar this semester and I noticed that a) the class only meets like 7 or 8 times, and b) attendance is therefore mandatory at all sessions. Unfortunately, the only Externship course that I was able to sign up for includes a session on a night where I almost certainly can't attend class.

Does anyone have experience with missing a single session of an Externship seminar, and how that would effect one's grade?

Thanks!

Londonbear

Bronze

Post by Londonbear » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:35 am

ChristineBaskets wrote:Hey everyone,

I'm taking an Externship seminar this semester and I noticed that a) the class only meets like 7 or 8 times, and b) attendance is therefore mandatory at all sessions. Unfortunately, the only Externship course that I was able to sign up for includes a session on a night where I almost certainly can't attend class.

Does anyone have experience with missing a single session of an Externship seminar, and how that would effect one's grade?

Thanks!
Isn't it P/F? When I missed one, there was a makeup class we could do and a bunch of other students were there too so it happens. I also remember someone attending my class section one time to makeup for his missed one. Just let the prof know and they'll provide you with options.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”