GULC Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
ltbenn

Bronze

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Post by ltbenn » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:18 pm

Hand wrote:
ball is life wrote:
Hand wrote:
Hand wrote:1L grades were supposedly released yesterday. I wonder how Tiffany did.
the fact that there haven't been a dozen TLS threads asking "I did so-and-so on my exams at GULC am I fucked" provides some indication that maybe the registrar didn't meet the deadline though
Is the general consensus on this that below median is fucked and above top-third is reasonably safe chance at biglaw assuming competent interviewing skills and targeting?
Nah, below median isn't necessarily fucked; like Gray I also know people with 3.1x GPAs who landed a big law gig but you are of course facing an uphill battle with a GPA anywhere in the 3.0 to 3.2 range. You presumably are fucked if you have a sub 3.0 GPA at the end of the year.
Also I know people with good grades (top 1/3+) who came out of oci with nothing. Bad grades can almost always be overcome by experience/personability/networking — but a horrible personality can’t be overcome by even the best of grades.

usn26

Silver

Post by usn26 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:01 pm

ltbenn wrote:Also I know people with good grades (top 1/3+) who came out of oci with nothing. Bad grades can almost always be overcome by experience/personability/networking — but a horrible personality can’t be overcome by even the best of grades.
Also bad bid strategy, poor interviewing skills, resume problems, etc. Good grades are no guarantee.

Bunbury

New

Post by Bunbury » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:18 pm

Confused 1L here. How can you figure out your approx. class rank? All I see is the grade distribution for each class.

goldenbear2020

Silver

Post by goldenbear2020 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:50 pm

Here are the 1L class rank cutoffs from last year:
https://www.law.georgetown.edu/campus-s ... 6-2017.cfm

Bunbury

New

Post by Bunbury » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:46 pm

goldenbear2020 wrote:Here are the 1L class rank cutoffs from last year:
https://www.law.georgetown.edu/campus-s ... 6-2017.cfm
Thank you! Will they let us know the cut offs for the semester? It would be nice to be able to include that on a resume if applicable. Also people always talk about above/below median. How do we know what median is?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:22 am

Hand wrote:1L grades were supposedly released yesterday. I wonder how Tiffany did.
Well it takes both stability AND genius to succeed in law school so she at least should be genetically predisposed to law school success

ChutzpahSaxa15

New

Post by ChutzpahSaxa15 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:03 pm

0L here considering GULC. I'm from Baltimore and my parents have suggested I live at home and take the MARC train to union station daily (so I guess it'd be like an hour commute). It'd be a pain but save me a BOATLOAD of money. Thoughts?

usn26

Silver

Post by usn26 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:07 pm

ChutzpahSaxa15 wrote:0L here considering GULC. I'm from Baltimore and my parents have suggested I live at home and take the MARC train to union station daily (so I guess it'd be like an hour commute). It'd be a pain but save me a BOATLOAD of money. Thoughts?
I would think this is mostly a question of how well you could handle living at home. An hour each way isn't bad - certainly not for 2/3L, and I think it'd be doable 1L as well depending on you circumstances.

RDA2930

New

Post by RDA2930 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:14 pm

usn26 wrote:
ChutzpahSaxa15 wrote:0L here considering GULC. I'm from Baltimore and my parents have suggested I live at home and take the MARC train to union station daily (so I guess it'd be like an hour commute). It'd be a pain but save me a BOATLOAD of money. Thoughts?
I would think this is mostly a question of how well you could handle living at home. An hour each way isn't bad - certainly not for 2/3L, and I think it'd be doable 1L as well depending on you circumstances.
I know of people who did this (though not people who lived at home; people who went to law school later in life and already had established a family in the Baltimore area). The Marc train is definitely doable and a place to do your reading two hours a day. If you treat law school like a full time job and commit to going 9-5 every day, I don't see why you couldn't live in Baltimore. This is even easier 2L/3L when you can tweak your schedule so you only have to go 2 or 3 days per week. As long as you can handle living with your parents, the save on rent alone is seriously worth it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Carlton_Banks

New

Post by Carlton_Banks » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:52 pm

Hand wrote: Lol no, the registrar doesn’t work on the weekend

Some grades may not come in for another week. Last semester I got one grade two weeks after the end of the grace period.
Did the registrar send you an e-mail or anything indicating that there would be a delay? I have yet to receive a grade for a 10-student seminar taught by an adjunct. I just don't understand why professors are allowed to blow deadlines and why the school operates like students don't deserve an explanation.

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:27 pm

Carlton_Banks wrote:
Hand wrote: Lol no, the registrar doesn’t work on the weekend

Some grades may not come in for another week. Last semester I got one grade two weeks after the end of the grace period.
Did the registrar send you an e-mail or anything indicating that there would be a delay? I have yet to receive a grade for a 10-student seminar taught by an adjunct. I just don't understand why professors are allowed to blow deadlines and why the school operates like students don't deserve an explanation.
Explanations? From the registrar? Lol.

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:30 pm

topbunk

New

Post by topbunk » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:02 pm

Any chance anybody has Property outlines or past exams for Sheila Foster? I've tried the outline bank and the exam bank without much luck. Any outlines or suggestions would be appreciated. I also have a friend in Legislation and Regulation with Buzbee who is also on the lookout for exams and outlines... I'd appreciate anything on this end as well!!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:09 am

BmoreOrLess

Gold

Post by BmoreOrLess » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:00 pm

I did it for a while and hated it, but plenty of people do it.

ChutzpahSaxa15

New

Post by ChutzpahSaxa15 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:57 pm

BmoreOrLess wrote:
Uh oh. Do you think it negatively affected your performance/social life?

BmoreOrLess

Gold

Post by BmoreOrLess » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:49 am

ChutzpahSaxa15 wrote:
BmoreOrLess wrote:
Uh oh. Do you think it negatively affected your performance/social life?
I moved to DC by the time finals/crunch time came around, so it didn't affect my performance, but I'd bet it would have if I was in Baltimore all of 1L. That being said, I'm the type of person who thrives when I can make my own schedule (read: take naps/dick around when I want to and just make up for it by staying in the library until 3).

If you're good with a regimented schedule and don't have a difficult commute to the marc, I could see it working. You can always move back 2L/3L when you don't really need to care and can easily make your schedule M/W or T/TH, too.

I was never involved with the social scene at GULC, so I can't really comment on that.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

thunder3029

New

Post by thunder3029 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:00 am

Thoughts on the Gerwitz housing?

ChristineBaskets

New

Post by ChristineBaskets » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:41 am

For those who've taken Rothstein for Evidence...

Will I be ok if I mostly use the E&E/CALI lessons to learn the material? Really not feeling his Nutshell/casebook.

SubmedianHomeskAlien

New

Post by SubmedianHomeskAlien » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:41 am

TTL peeps: any recommendations for sources that might help me pick a topic for note/comment?

It’s getting to the point in the semester where I need to be picking a topic, and I still have no idea what I’m doing. Looking for some inspiration.

usn26

Silver

Post by usn26 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:56 am

SubmedianHomeskAlien wrote:TTL peeps: any recommendations for sources that might help me pick a topic for note/comment?

It’s getting to the point in the semester where I need to be picking a topic, and I still have no idea what I’m doing. Looking for some inspiration.
Isn't that journal defunct?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kradle

New

Post by kradle » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:41 pm

SubmedianHomeskAlien wrote:TTL peeps: any recommendations for sources that might help me pick a topic for note/comment?

You can just submit to GLJ instead of TTL and it counts, so literally write about ~whatever~.

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:38 pm

Figured I'd ask again, but does anyone have access to Nourse outline and old exams for her legislation class?

ChristineBaskets

New

Post by ChristineBaskets » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:12 pm

Does anybody have an outline for Schoenholtz's Immigration Law & Policy course that they'd be willing to share?

newtonc

New

Post by newtonc » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:27 pm

I'm a international student, planning to study at GULC (LLM). How much am I expected to pay for housing (1 wife, 1 2 years old baby). Does Gerwitz offers any housing for a couple with kids? Is living in Baltimore acceptable?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”