GULC Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.

Bronze

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Post by 20171203 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:17 pm

Last edited by 20171203 on Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SubmedianHomeskAlien

New

Post by SubmedianHomeskAlien » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:16 pm

What is the overlap between the upperclass writing requirement & journal requirements? I read something about a "seminar track" - is it possible to use your writing requirement paper as the note you submit for a journal?

And if not: is it a bad idea to try to do the writing requirement & your journal note within the same semester?

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:37 pm

SubmedianHomeskAlien

New

Post by SubmedianHomeskAlien » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:01 pm

Gray wrote:
SubmedianHomeskAlien wrote:What is the overlap between the upperclass writing requirement & journal requirements? I read something about a "seminar track" - is it possible to use your writing requirement paper as the note you submit for a journal?

And if not: is it a bad idea to try to do the writing requirement & your journal note within the same semester?
I think almost everyone uses their writing requirement paper as their journal note
Thanks for the response! So how would this work if I'm on TTL but my WR class has absolutely nothing to do with Tax?

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:06 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

usn26

Silver

Post by usn26 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:11 pm

Gray wrote:Can't you just like...not do it.... seeing as TTL is leaving GULC? like what would the negative consequences be?
TITCR

BmoreOrLess

Gold

Post by BmoreOrLess » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:06 am

Gray wrote:
SubmedianHomeskAlien wrote:
Gray wrote:
SubmedianHomeskAlien wrote:What is the overlap between the upperclass writing requirement & journal requirements? I read something about a "seminar track" - is it possible to use your writing requirement paper as the note you submit for a journal?

I think almost everyone uses their writing requirement paper as their journal note
Thanks for the response! So how would this work if I'm on TTL but my WR class has absolutely nothing to do with Tax?
depends on whether or not you want a good shot at getting your note published. If so, probably sign up for a tax related 3 Cr WR seminar. If not, sign up for a 2 Cr tax class with a paper requirement and just hand in that paper. It's almost never going to be less work to write a note on your own.

Can't you just like...not do it.... seeing as TTL is leaving GULC? like what would the negative consequences be?
To respond to the original question: do Cohen's Tax Policy seminar if he does it again. Everyone gets an A/A-, he basically assigns the paper and gives you all of the sources he wants you to use.

But to the bolded, really? I thought they solved their issues with the ABA? TTL was easily the best journal at GULC.

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:45 am

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:53 am

Gray wrote:
SubmedianHomeskAlien wrote:
Gray wrote:

depends on whether or not you want a good shot at getting your note published. If so, probably sign up for a tax related 3 Cr WR seminar. If not, sign up for a 2 Cr tax class with a paper requirement and just hand in that paper. It's almost never going to be less work to write a note on your own.

Can't you just like...not do it.... seeing as TTL is leaving GULC? like what would the negative consequences be?
i took a non-tax related class and found a tenuously tax related topic that was related to that class and double counted it and am not being published, but again there's really no reason to worry

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

de minimis

New

Post by de minimis » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:14 pm

I failed to do this and ended up having to write 2 notes. Sucked bad...try to make it work somehow.

SubmedianHomeskAlien

New

Post by SubmedianHomeskAlien » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:54 am

Thanks guys, was able to switch to a Tax seminar :D

blacksquirrel

New

Post by blacksquirrel » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:40 pm

Anyone know if many students from the area just live at home to save $$$ and commute by car/metro? Anyone know (or wish to speculate) if this has been a hindrance in terms of doing social activities (not due to parents but due to distance)?

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:07 pm

blacksquirrel wrote:Anyone know if many students from the area just live at home to save $$$ and commute by car/metro? Anyone know (or wish to speculate) if this has been a hindrance in terms of doing social activities (not due to parents but due to distance)?
Yeah I know a few, depends on how much effort you're willing to put in some seem pretty social, some seem pretty asocial but those attitudes probably existed before hand. Also note that they mostly drive to school which seems like a nightmare and also pretty expensive

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JordanLaw15

New

Post by JordanLaw15 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:55 pm

Hey I'm looking for a work study where I can study sometimes during and isn't too intense, anybody have any suggestions?

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:21 am

JordanLaw15 wrote:Hey I'm looking for a work study where I can study sometimes during and isn't too intense, anybody have any suggestions?
Library is probably your best bet

usn26

Silver

Post by usn26 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:31 pm

Hand wrote:
JordanLaw15 wrote:Hey I'm looking for a work study where I can study sometimes during and isn't too intense, anybody have any suggestions?
Don't you have to like stand up all the time?

Gewirz front desk and "student guard" (sit at desk and pretend to look at ppl's IDs) seem like good bets.

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:37 pm

usn26 wrote:
Hand wrote:
Don't you have to like stand up all the time?

Gewirz front desk and "student guard" (sit at desk and pretend to look at ppl's IDs) seem like good bets.
At the circulation desk? IDK they seem to have stools or whatever. Checking IDs is mega low energy but you do have to fake look up every 3 secs. Library probably permits for more sustained down time.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:36 pm

Question for current section 5 1Ls: assuming she didn't run for SBA rep, how did y'all fail to not have a successful write-in campaign for the tiffster?

SubmedianHomeskAlien

New

Post by SubmedianHomeskAlien » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:03 pm

Has anyone had Michael Diamond for Corporations or Grinberg for Tax -- and if so, do you have any supplement recommendations?

m052310

New

Post by m052310 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:08 pm

Any thoughts/reviews/warnings for Westmoreland, Buzbee, or Pasachoff? They're teaching the regulatory 1L electives this year, and I'm curious if there is anything/one we should watch out for or not miss. Thanks.

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:12 pm

m052310 wrote:Any thoughts/reviews/warnings for Westmoreland, Buzbee, or Pasachoff? They're teaching the regulatory 1L electives this year, and I'm curious if there is anything/one we should watch out for or not miss. Thanks.
Word on the block is that buzbee sucks and from experience pasachoff is great

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

m052310

New

Post by m052310 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:14 pm

buckiguy_sucks wrote:
m052310 wrote:Any thoughts/reviews/warnings for Westmoreland, Buzbee, or Pasachoff? They're teaching the regulatory 1L electives this year, and I'm curious if there is anything/one we should watch out for or not miss. Thanks.
Perfect. Was leaning that way anyway base on the syllabus. Thanks.

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:47 pm

m052310 wrote:
buckiguy_sucks wrote:
Perfect. Was leaning that way anyway base on the syllabus. Thanks.
I liked buzbee’s class but his exam was ????

CuriousGeorge1719

New

Post by CuriousGeorge1719 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:20 pm

hello! Looking to figure out how I can have a real shot here...3.0 GPA..AA male..155 LSAT practice score..I obviously need to score higher when I take the LSAT in December, but any tips from anyone who has gotten in with a GPA similar to mine?

Thank you!!!

missie

New

Post by missie » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:36 pm

Westmoreland is an angel - he has amazing experience, doesn't cold call, and is generally a great human being. I really enjoyed his class last year.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”