GULC Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
de minimis

New

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Post by de minimis » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:25 pm

88234 wrote:Is there any sort of rationale behind what section we are placed into?
Gunners are usually placed in section 1. GLS in section 2. Weirdos in section 3. everything else is a crapshoot.

usn26

Silver

Post by usn26 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:56 pm

de minimis wrote:
88234 wrote:Is there any sort of rationale behind what section we are placed into?
Gunners are usually placed in section 1.
Common misconception. Abernathy turns otherwise potentially normal §1'ers into gunners.

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:16 pm

de minimis wrote:
Gunners are usually placed in section 1. GLS in section 2. Weirdos in section 3. everything else is a crapshoot.
Section 4 is commonly known as the party section. It is a mystery why they put me in there.
No one is sure section 5 actually exists.

ball is life

New

Post by ball is life » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:21 pm

usn26 wrote:
de minimis wrote:
Common misconception. Abernathy turns otherwise potentially normal §1'ers into gunners.
Is this just because of cold calling or does he assign more reading than most civpro profs? I noticed that his is the only section that meets 3 times a week.

ladybug1989

Bronze

Post by ladybug1989 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:28 pm

Anyone know median GPA for Jones Day NY? That EIW gpa data spreadsheet doesn't have that information. Wondering if median/slightly below median (with very good experience) will be enough?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

barkschool

Silver

Post by barkschool » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:51 pm

ladybug1989 wrote: (with very good experience)
lemme tell u about the time I was the captain of space shuttle challenger

Mr. Blackacre

Bronze

Post by Mr. Blackacre » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:45 pm

ball is life wrote:
usn26 wrote:
de minimis wrote:
Is this just because of cold calling or does he assign more reading than most civpro profs? I noticed that his is the only section that meets 3 times a week.
It's the cold calls. He's just very tough.
ladybug1989 wrote:Anyone know median GPA for Jones Day NY? That EIW gpa data spreadsheet doesn't have that information. Wondering if median/slightly below median (with very good experience) will be enough?
If I were to venture a guess, I'd say in the 3.35-3.40 range. You usually see a GPA difference of between .005 and .1 between the NY office and the DC office of most firms. Jones Day is not that grade-conscious, so I think you'd have a good shot at median. Below median gets harder.

JuliusCaesar

Bronze

Post by JuliusCaesar » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:22 am

If I'm MM for a market far-ish away, what do I say regarding my availability to interview? Or do I just leave that off and figure it out if contacted. Obviously I can fly out for an interview but if it is more than once or twice (if multiple firms get back to me) that likely wouldn't be possible.

Anonnonnon

Bronze

Post by Anonnonnon » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:52 am

In regards to EIW and firms in general: Assuming all else is the same (pay, location, work [generally]), what matters more? Firm fit and personality, or "prestige?" In other words, what considerations would make one more valuable over the other?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

barkschool

Silver

Post by barkschool » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:04 am

Anonnonnon wrote:In regards to EIW and firms in general: Assuming all else is the same (pay, location, work [generally]), what matters more? Firm fit and personality, or "prestige?" In other words, what considerations would make one more valuable over the other?
What do you place more importance in?

Anonnonnon

Bronze

Post by Anonnonnon » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:12 am

barkschool wrote:
Anonnonnon wrote:In regards to EIW and firms in general: Assuming all else is the same (pay, location, work [generally]), what matters more? Firm fit and personality, or "prestige?" In other words, what considerations would make one more valuable over the other?
What do you place more importance in?
I guess that's why I'm asking - I'm not exactly sure. Do both catagories offer roughly the same exit opportunities, should that need/desire arise? Which firms generally have better partner possibilities? I guess I'm asking what factors I should be weighing in order to make a properly informed decision on this matter.

barkschool

Silver

Post by barkschool » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:27 am

_
Last edited by barkschool on Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SubmedianHomeskAlien

New

Post by SubmedianHomeskAlien » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:07 pm

What are some key 2L & 3L classes that one should try take if one is planning to pursue transactional law? Litigation?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Bobby_Axelrod

New

Post by Bobby_Axelrod » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:16 pm

SubmedianHomeskAlien wrote:What are some key 2L & 3L classes that one should try take if one is planning to pursue transactional law? Litigation?
Corporate Finance with Professor Sukhatme is probably the best transactional class I took at GULC. He's a great professor and the class touches on a range of subtopics within transactional law. Although, parts of the class are very math-based.

usn26

Silver

Post by usn26 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:33 pm

JuliusCaesar wrote:If I'm MM for a market far-ish away, what do I say regarding my availability to interview? Or do I just leave that off and figure it out if contacted. Obviously I can fly out for an interview but if it is more than once or twice (if multiple firms get back to me) that likely wouldn't be possible.
Idk if I ever put interview information into a CL. If you get a callback you can always turn it down (screeners would be over the phone/skype). Also school is pointless, take free trips to places.

JuliusCaesar

Bronze

Post by JuliusCaesar » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:08 pm

usn26 wrote:
JuliusCaesar wrote:If I'm MM for a market far-ish away, what do I say regarding my availability to interview? Or do I just leave that off and figure it out if contacted. Obviously I can fly out for an interview but if it is more than once or twice (if multiple firms get back to me) that likely wouldn't be possible.
Idk if I ever put interview information into a CL. If you get a callback you can always turn it down (screeners would be over the phone/skype). Also school is pointless, take free trips to places.
Ok thanks. I didn't know screeners over phone/skype are common.

barkschool

Silver

Post by barkschool » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:56 pm

Bobby_Axelrod wrote:
SubmedianHomeskAlien wrote:What are some key 2L & 3L classes that one should try take if one is planning to pursue transactional law? Litigation?
Corporate Finance with Professor Sukhatme is probably the best transactional class I took at GULC. He's a great professor and the class touches on a range of subtopics within transactional law. Although, parts of the class are very math-based.
+1

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ladybug1989

Bronze

Post by ladybug1989 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:25 pm

Bobby_Axelrod wrote:
How was the grade distribution?

Bobby_Axelrod

New

Post by Bobby_Axelrod » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:27 pm

ladybug1989 wrote:
Bobby_Axelrod wrote:
How was the grade distribution?
A 15.15
A+ 1.52
A- 31.82
B 12.12
B+ 19.70
B- 4.55
P 15.15

Mr. Blackacre

Bronze

Post by Mr. Blackacre » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:49 pm

Would suggest:
- Evidence with the judges (Section 7 class, so late night, but worth it)
- A litigation-focused clinic (Criminal defense / justice, juvenile justice, Domestic Violence, LSIC)
- A trial ad class if you don't do clinic (though I can't recommend clinic enough)

Honestly, there aren't really that many "required" classes. I'd add Criminal Law to the list but you don't have to take it. Fed Courts is expected if you want to clerk, but plenty of people don't take it either. Evidence is crucial if you want to get into litigation, but that's more or less it. Clinic is just very useful at actually getting some experience in a courtroom, which there's a significant chance you won't get to do for at least several years afterwards if you go into private practice. And if you go into PI/prosecution, all the better since it's early training.

hegotmoneyyyyy

New

Post by hegotmoneyyyyy » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:01 pm

Are the service projects during orientation week mandatory?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

de minimis

New

Post by de minimis » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:25 pm

hegotmoneyyyyy wrote:Are the service projects during orientation week mandatory?
Nope

SubmedianHomeskAlien

New

Post by SubmedianHomeskAlien » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:07 pm

I'm pleased with my schedule so far, but I'm trying to round it out with one more class.

Any suggestions for one that's- uh, super ridiculously easy?

barkschool

Silver

Post by barkschool » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:49 pm

Last edited by barkschool on Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BmoreOrLess

Gold

Post by BmoreOrLess » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:13 am

Bobby_Axelrod wrote:
(Note: Not a practicing attorney yet, but) Tax II is actually really good for understanding the mechanics of M&A deals. I also found Teitelbaum's Deal Economics class helpful since you actually read through deal docs, but Capitol Idea can tell you whether that class is actually useful in practice.

Oh, I also found it useful to take one to two classes a semester strictly for GPA engeneering purposes.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”