GULC Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
urmlaw17

Bronze

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Post by urmlaw17 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:27 pm

How is the rent in DC compared to the SF/ Berkeley area?

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:17 pm

urmlaw17 wrote:How is the rent in DC compared to the SF/ Berkeley area?
https://www.apartmentlist.com/rentonomi ... rent-data/

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:21 pm

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:10 pm

Gray wrote:Does anyone ever actually fail PR any class just wondering
no

legallyadog

New

Post by legallyadog » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:58 am

So who is the exam video guy and where did they find him? His giggle during the fire emergency part gets me every time.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:14 pm

Is it fairly simple to get back to NYC from GT being median with ties? Would be going into PI most likely but also curious to know if median can get you BL in NYC?

I've searched and found some info already but wanted to ask anyways to get some new answers.

BmoreOrLess

Gold

Post by BmoreOrLess » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:37 pm

legallyadog wrote:So who is the exam video guy and where did they find him? His giggle during the fire emergency part gets me every time.
Just be happy you don't have the terrifying exam video lady.

BmoreOrLess

Gold

Post by BmoreOrLess » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:41 pm

Mikey wrote:Is it fairly simple to get back to NYC from GT being median with ties? Would be going into PI most likely but also curious to know if median can get you BL in NYC?

I've searched and found some info already but wanted to ask anyways to get some new answers.
It seemed to me like yes. I was below dean's list but presumably above median and had no problem getting NYC biglaw; I sincerely doubt .05-.1 would have made much of a difference.

TheEagle1234

New

Post by TheEagle1234 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:26 am

Are pets allowed in Gerwitz? If I own a pet where is the closest place to campus that I can live?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:00 pm

TheEagle1234

New

Post by TheEagle1234 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:24 pm

Gray wrote:
TheEagle1234 wrote:Are pets allowed in Gerwitz? If I own a pet where is the closest place to campus that I can live?
I don't think they are, but most of the apartment buildings in the immediate vicinity are pet friendly (77H and Mass Court come to mind). Gewirz is a scam anyway, living 5 minutes away off campus is a much better choice.
And what are the differences between 77H and Mass Court?

usn26

Silver

Post by usn26 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:28 pm

TheEagle1234 wrote:Are pets allowed in Gerwitz?
No.

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:13 pm

It’s a shitty area and commuting isn’t that bad live elsewhere in the city

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

legallyadog

New

Post by legallyadog » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:44 pm

TheEagle1234 wrote:
Gray wrote:
TheEagle1234 wrote:Are pets allowed in Gerwitz? If I own a pet where is the closest place to campus that I can live?
I don't think they are, but most of the apartment buildings in the immediate vicinity are pet friendly (77H and Mass Court come to mind). Gewirz is a scam anyway, living 5 minutes away off campus is a much better choice.
They're both overpriced apartments, just check their websites.

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:24 pm

BmoreOrLess wrote:
Mikey wrote:Is it fairly simple to get back to NYC from GT being median with ties? Would be going into PI most likely but also curious to know if median can get you BL in NYC?

It seemed to me like yes. I was below dean's list but presumably above median and had no problem getting NYC biglaw; I sincerely doubt .05-.1 would have made much of a difference.
I see. Thanks for the response!

One more question: Are there lots of opportunities (PI and Government) around DC during the semester for GULC students, assuming decent grades?

usn26

Silver

Post by usn26 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:29 pm

Mikey wrote:Are there lots of opportunities (PI and Government) around DC during the semester for GULC students, assuming decent grades?
Even without decent grades.

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:48 pm

usn26 wrote:
Mikey wrote:Are there lots of opportunities (PI and Government) around DC during the semester for GULC students, assuming decent grades?
Even without decent grades.
Yeah everyone wants free labor and you’re the perfect candidate for it

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:39 pm

iight, thanks everyone!

LunaBar

New

Post by LunaBar » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:57 pm

I assume Craigslist is the best/only way to hunt for apartments?

If I'm living off campus but want a reasonable commute to GULC what general areas should I look (budget max of $1200 and open to roommates)?

More importantly, when should I start looking? DC seems to be a pretty tight market that loads up in advance...

patttt

Silver

Post by patttt » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:42 am

TheEagle1234 wrote:
Gray wrote:
Avoid 77h like the plague - the area that it's in basically is. Mass court 100% if it's between the two, but 425 mass and the apartments up that way are even better.

patttt

Silver

Post by patttt » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:47 am

LunaBar wrote:I assume Craigslist is the best/only way to hunt for apartments?

If I'm living off campus but want a reasonable commute to GULC what general areas should I look (budget max of $1200 and open to roommates)?

More importantly, when should I start looking? DC seems to be a pretty tight market that loads up in advance...
i'd stray away from the whole commuting mentality for your 1L -- i tried it and it didn't work. Really, bite the bullet and live close, at least for your first year. You can always move farther out after you know what you're doing in law school if you decide that it's necessary

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

EzraFitz

Silver

Post by EzraFitz » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:18 am

patttt wrote:

i'd stray away from the whole commuting mentality for your 1L -- i tried it and it didn't work. Really, bite the bullet and live close, at least for your first year. You can always move farther out after you know what you're doing in law school if you decide that it's necessary
I agree with this. I lived in Silver Spring my 1L year, and my new girlfriend lived down by the NoMa stop. Needless to say, I spent maybe 10 days at my apartment per semester, max, and never on weekdays. Commuting was so awful. Bright side, got to know my girlfriend quickly and she is now my wife haha.

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:39 pm

EzraFitz wrote:
patttt wrote:

I agree with this. I lived in Silver Spring my 1L year, and my new girlfriend lived down by the NoMa stop. Needless to say, I spent maybe 10 days at my apartment per semester, max, and never on weekdays. Commuting was so awful. Bright side, got to know my girlfriend quickly and she is now my wife haha.

On the other hand I’ve been commuting 30 minutes by public transit all three years and it’s fine and has caused me no problems and i don’t have to live in 77h or pay 8,000/month for one of the mass ave apartments

LunaBar

New

Post by LunaBar » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:42 pm

buckiguy_sucks wrote:
EzraFitz wrote:
patttt wrote:

On the other hand I’ve been commuting 30 minutes by public transit all three years and it’s fine and has caused me no problems and i don’t have to live in 77h or pay 8,000/month for one of the mass ave apartments
I'm actually going to be doing an LLM at GTown so not really concerned about 1L life. More thinking about if I'm okay with a 20 minute commute where I should be looking and what's the best way/time to look. Craigslist seems to have nothing up....

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:16 am

LunaBar wrote:
buckiguy_sucks wrote: On the other hand I’ve been commuting 30 minutes by public transit all three years and it’s fine and has caused me no problems and i don’t have to live in 77h or pay 8,000/month for one of the mass ave apartments
I'm actually going to be doing an LLM at GTown so not really concerned about 1L life. More thinking about if I'm okay with a 20 minute commute where I should be looking and what's the best way/time to look. Craigslist seems to have nothing up....
20 mins doesn't really get you anywhere significantly cheaper. 30 mins does. If you don't care about having anything fun close to your apt, you can consider places like fort totten, kingman park/hill east, or crystal city. Besides craigslist you can consider zillow, or just google "neighborhood + apt" which will turn up most of the large complexes

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”