GULC Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
usn26

Silver

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Post by usn26 » Sun May 21, 2017 9:48 pm

Gray wrote:So I've seen yellow, white, and red-white-blue (maybe there are others) -- what do all the graduation cords mean?
Vets can get a red-white-blue cord through the main campus, I think. DK about the rest.

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Sun May 21, 2017 9:53 pm

accessislife

Bronze

Post by accessislife » Sun May 21, 2017 10:33 pm

Gray wrote:
usn26 wrote:
Gray wrote:So I've seen yellow, white, and red-white-blue (maybe there are others) -- what do all the graduation cords mean?
Vets can get a red-white-blue cord through the main campus, I think. DK about the rest.
Ohhh that makes sense. Maybe it's just that and Pro Boner? Former 3Ls can confirm?
what about honors? BLSA? OUTLAW etc?

Bronze

Post by 20171203 » Sun May 21, 2017 10:33 pm

Last edited by 20171203 on Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Sun May 21, 2017 11:00 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Mon May 22, 2017 7:59 am

accessislife wrote:
Gray wrote:
usn26 wrote:
Ohhh that makes sense. Maybe it's just that and Pro Boner? Former 3Ls can confirm?

Pretty sure there aren't cords for student groups. Maybe honors. I saw some people with cords but never figured out what they meant.

usn26

Silver

Post by usn26 » Mon May 22, 2017 9:52 am

thelincolnlawyer wrote:Anybody have any advice on going after Chicago for a 2L SA? Obviously not sure what my final grades will be yet but there isn't much GPA data for Chicago firms
Find Chicago firm you're interested in > find recent GULC alum associate > email.

Londonbear

Bronze

Post by Londonbear » Mon May 22, 2017 12:20 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:
accessislife wrote:
Gray wrote:
usn26 wrote:

Pretty sure there aren't cords for student groups. Maybe honors. I saw some people with cords but never figured out what they meant.
The yellow is for pro bono.

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Mon May 22, 2017 12:21 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JordanLaw15

New

Post by JordanLaw15 » Mon May 22, 2017 3:01 pm

Will the apartment complexes around campus negotiate their prices at all? Also, did anyone who had leases through Summer have a difficult time finding someone to sublet?

Mr. Blackacre

Bronze

Post by Mr. Blackacre » Mon May 22, 2017 3:43 pm

Gray wrote:there's different levels of pro bono though right?
Bronze, Silver, Gold (75, 125, 150 hours).

No cords for honors. No cords given by the school for student groups, though I wouldn't be surprised if some made their own.

ChristineBaskets

New

Post by ChristineBaskets » Mon May 22, 2017 6:03 pm

Some questions about write-on...

1) Should we just wait until we get grades/scores back to worry about the order in which to rank our preferences? And if our grades/scores are nothing special, should we just not bother trying for certain journals (like GLJ?)

2) Is there a "hierarchy" or journals in terms of how potential employers view them, or is it pretty much GLJ and then everything else?

3) How much of a chance is there to not get onto any journal (due to mediocre grades/write-on scores), even if you rank 5 of them?

4) Wtf is with this stupid Bluebook exam and how does it factor into the write-on score?

5) Some journals seem to require a resume/personal statement despite the fact that there's no place to submit these documents on the OJA webpage. So then where do we submit them?

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Mon May 22, 2017 6:26 pm

ChristineBaskets wrote:
2) Is there a "hierarchy" or journals in terms of how potential employers view them, or is it pretty much GLJ and then everything else?
I think this depends on your goals. If you're trying to demonstrate interest in a specific area, then secondary journals might become more important. Otherwise, though, I think it's GLJ > everything else. And the value of "everything else" if your goals are more generic is highly questionable. Might be more valuable if you're a k-jd and have a sparser resume.

I wasn't on a journal and have never had the slightest regret about it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Mon May 22, 2017 6:36 pm

ChristineBaskets

New

Post by ChristineBaskets » Mon May 22, 2017 6:44 pm

Thanks, guys!

Sparse resume & likely mediocre grades here, so I'm feeling like I should just press forward with it.

Is the general consensus that GLJ is "worth it" in terms of the bump in employment prospects? There's a particular secondary that I am quite interested in, and I almost want to rank it #1, but I feel like that might be ill-advised and I should at least try for GLJ.

EzraFitz

Silver

Post by EzraFitz » Mon May 22, 2017 7:02 pm

Mr. Blackacre wrote:

No cords for honors. No cords given by the school for student groups, though I wouldn't be surprised if some made their own.
There were cords for PILF and Armed Services.

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Mon May 22, 2017 7:03 pm

EzraFitz wrote:
Mr. Blackacre wrote:

There were cords for PILF and Armed Services.
I'm gonna collect me some cords next year

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Mon May 22, 2017 7:24 pm

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Mon May 22, 2017 7:27 pm

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Mon May 22, 2017 10:06 pm

usn26 wrote:
thelincolnlawyer wrote:Anybody have any advice on going after Chicago for a 2L SA? Obviously not sure what my final grades will be yet but there isn't much GPA data for Chicago firms
Find Chicago firm you're interested in > find recent GULC alum attorney associate> email.
or your undergrad, or literally any connection you could possibly have or manufacture, or anything to get them to be interested enough to email you back

network network network

and don't limit yourself to OCI firms

e: to clarify my edits to USN's comment by attorney i mean it doesn't have to be a young associate, it has to be whoever you will be successful networking with. if all that you have a solid jumping off point with is a partner go for it.

Bronze

Post by 20171203 » Mon May 22, 2017 11:21 pm

Last edited by 20171203 on Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Tue May 23, 2017 12:03 am

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Tue May 23, 2017 8:28 am

buckiguy_sucks wrote:
usn26 wrote:
Find Chicago firm you're interested in > find recent GULC alum attorney associate> email.
or your undergrad, or literally any connection you could possibly have or manufacture, or anything to get them to be interested enough to email you back

network network network

and don't limit yourself to OCI firms

e: to clarify my edits to USN's comment by attorney i mean it doesn't have to be a young associate, it has to be whoever you will be successful networking with. if all that you have a solid jumping off point with is a partner go for it.
Yeah, don't be afraid to reach out to people, as long as you have some kind of jumping off point. And don't phrase it as "I want a job." Present it as a learning opportunity. People like the implication that they're experts who can impart some wisdom.

Something like:
"I noticed you're also a (undergrad) alum. I'm really interested in (whatever type of law the person practices). Would you be willing to let me buy you a cup of coffee and pick your brain at some point?"

anonnymoose

New

Post by anonnymoose » Tue May 30, 2017 5:23 am

I have a question about Gewirz. I’m unfamiliar with the layout of Gewirz, but I was hoping to get a room further from the construction going on and was wondering if anyone knew which room numbers were on which sides of the building; for example, if rooms 1-7 on each floor were further from the construction vs. 8-14.

lawlzi

New

Post by lawlzi » Tue May 30, 2017 11:29 am

anonnymoose wrote:I have a question about Gewirz. I’m unfamiliar with the layout of Gewirz, but I was hoping to get a room further from the construction going on and was wondering if anyone knew which room numbers were on which sides of the building; for example, if rooms 1-7 on each floor were further from the construction vs. 8-14.
Odd numbered rooms overlook the construction side and even numbered ones overlook the law campus. If you're hoping to get the furthest room from the construction pick the highest, even numbered room on any floor.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”