GULC Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
BmoreOrLess

Gold

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Post by BmoreOrLess » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:35 pm

buckiguy_sucks wrote:
BmoreOrLess wrote: I'd also save Demystifying Finance for second semester 3L.
Why?
So you can have two less in-semester credits for your final semester when you want to do jack shit.

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:42 pm

BmoreOrLess wrote:
buckiguy_sucks wrote:
Why?
So you can have two less in-semester credits for your final semester when you want to do jack shit.
Oh solid is this a class where all the work is done before the semester or something?

BmoreOrLess

Gold

Post by BmoreOrLess » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:49 pm

buckiguy_sucks wrote:
BmoreOrLess wrote:
buckiguy_sucks wrote:
Why?
Oh solid is this a class where all the work is done before the semester or something?
Yea, it's a week one class.

So you need 54 credits 2L/3L. I think the ideal schedule is to do something like 28-30 credits 2L, 24-26 credits 3L with your writing requirment in the fall semester and demystifying finance in the winter week one so you can get down to 10 or less credits during the final semester.

ChristineBaskets

New

Post by ChristineBaskets » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:18 pm

Thanks everyone. Are there any courses that you'd recommend taking no matter what (just in terms of usefulness for the bar/practice/etc)?
BmoreOrLess wrote:
ChristineBaskets wrote:4) Any general 2L/3L scheduling tips that you'd like to share?
(ii) 35% on grade curve (historical curve charts are the only benefit to being on a journal, and worth it for the Tax Lawyer due to the hilariously low amount of work required)
Could you elaborate on this a bit? Is this info only available if you're on a journal? And does that mean I won't have access to it until after I've already signed up for Fall classes?

Edit: And one last (completely unrelated) thing: is it a big deal if I'm not in DC in person during the EIW Orientation and Open Sign Up period?

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:13 am

I haven't taken the bar yet so take this for what it's worth but I've heard from multiple people that evidence is highly recommended. There's a lot there so even if you don't see yourself litigating after you graduate, it's probably best not to see it for the first time on the bar.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:29 am

TheSpanishMain wrote:I haven't taken the bar yet so take this for what it's worth but I've heard from multiple people that evidence is highly recommended. There's a lot there so even if you don't see yourself litigating after you graduate, it's probably best not to see it for the first time on the bar.
Evidence is a must.

and maybe a Conlaw advanced course for a refresher.

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:29 am

evidence is also a pre-req for a lot of other classes in addition to being something that would suck to have to learn for the first time while studying for the bar

other than that, yolo

con law sucks btw

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:36 am

Hand wrote:con law sucks btw
It doubly sucks when you have to frantically re-remember it half-assedly for the Bar. But agreed it sucks.

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:43 am

Capitol_Idea wrote:
Hand wrote:con law sucks btw
It doubly sucks when you have to frantically re-remember it half-assedly for the Bar. But agreed it sucks.
I doubt that taking con law II P/F and not reading or going to class this semester is going to help me much next summer though

ETA and despite not reading and skipping most classes I still hate it! that's how much it sucks

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

feefeeriri

New

Post by feefeeriri » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:49 am

Hi,

Unsure if this question has been answered but I'm trying to decide between Cornell and Georgetown and was wondering:

Does anyone have a clear answer as to why GULC's employment score is 67% according to LST? It appears that people have speculated that 1) it's because of size: bottom half below median struggle to find jobs since the class size is so large plus there are about 100 people transferring from a non top law school who may have trouble finding jobs 2) people want to work in DC and the DC market is saturated from people from the other top law schools who want to work in DC and the fact that Gtown is in DC doesn't give it any home advantage at all because all the other schools target DC as well 3) some people go for prestigious government or political positions that are extremely competitive

Are these basically the reasons? I want to work in NYC biglaw.

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:56 pm

feefeeriri wrote:Hi,

Unsure if this question has been answered but I'm trying to decide between Cornell and Georgetown and was wondering:

Does anyone have a clear answer as to why GULC's employment score is 67% according to LST? It appears that people have speculated that 1) it's because of size: bottom half below median struggle to find jobs since the class size is so large plus there are about 100 people transferring from a non top law school who may have trouble finding jobs 2) people want to work in DC and the DC market is saturated from people from the other top law schools who want to work in DC and the fact that Gtown is in DC doesn't give it any home advantage at all because all the other schools target DC as well 3) some people go for prestigious government or political positions that are extremely competitive

sending the "why do GULC's numbers stink" bat signal to
Capitol_Idea wrote:

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:24 pm

1 is definitely a large part of it. 2 plays to some extent but it's more a reason why Cornell and NU have a regional boost and GULC just doesn't; it's not really pushing employment numbers down (more GULC grads go to NY than DC btw). 3 is floated occasionally but I think largely unproven/generally wrong.

The real answer is that GULC is shittier than the T13, in the network/brand it has, the students it takes in on average, and its class size/transfer policies.

Sorry, shittier than the T14. GULC is 15 now. Although UT isn't gonna be a bigger help in targeting NY.

BmoreOrLess

Gold

Post by BmoreOrLess » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:01 pm

ChristineBaskets wrote:Thanks everyone. Are there any courses that you'd recommend taking no matter what (just in terms of usefulness for the bar/practice/etc)?
BmoreOrLess wrote:
ChristineBaskets wrote:4) Any general 2L/3L scheduling tips that you'd like to share?
(ii) 35% on grade curve (historical curve charts are the only benefit to being on a journal, and worth it for the Tax Lawyer due to the hilariously low amount of work required)
Could you elaborate on this a bit? Is this info only available if you're on a journal? And does that mean I won't have access to it until after I've already signed up for Fall classes?
I think most Journals have historical grade curve charts. Ours is on Box and can't be downloaded, so you'd need to be on the journal to get it. I'm sure there are excel sheets floating around somewhere tho.

You wouldn't have access to ours until after you've signed up for classes, but it's very easy to switch classes up the first week or so of classes. I have regularly added/dropped 5 or 6 classes every semester until i find the right mix of scheduling/curve/work required.
ChristineBaskets wrote:Edit: And one last (completely unrelated) thing: is it a big deal if I'm not in DC in person during the EIW Orientation and Open Sign Up period?
Nope. I'm pretty sure they record Orientation (but if you peruse the OCI/EIW threads on TLS, you won't need it). The Open Sign Up period consists of refreshing Symplicity non-stop for a week, so as long as you have access to the internet you're good.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BmoreOrLess

Gold

Post by BmoreOrLess » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:02 pm

Capitol_Idea wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:I haven't taken the bar yet so take this for what it's worth but I've heard from multiple people that evidence is highly recommended. There's a lot there so even if you don't see yourself litigating after you graduate, it's probably best not to see it for the first time on the bar.
Evidence is a must.

and maybe a Conlaw advanced course for a refresher.
Whoops.

usn26

Silver

Post by usn26 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:35 pm

Re (3) a lot of people also want to do things that aren't that fancy/prestigious but have BL/fanciness credentials. (i.e., they could probably get biglaw but would rather do non-prestigious PI)

Is GULC much cheaper? Why would you choose GULC over Cornell for NYC biglaw?

feefeeriri

New

Post by feefeeriri » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:00 am

usn26 wrote:

Re (3) a lot of people also want to do things that aren't that fancy/prestigious but have BL/fanciness credentials. (i.e., they could probably get biglaw but would rather do non-prestigious PI)

Is GULC much cheaper? Why would you choose GULC over Cornell for NYC biglaw?
GULC offered me $47,500 and Cornell offered me $35k. Trying to negotiate with Cornell despite being rejected twice.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:26 am

Go the fuck to Cornell are you crazy

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:21 pm

Capitol_Idea wrote:Go the fuck to Cornell are you crazy
Taking the LSAT: $200
Going to Georgetown instead of Cornell: millions in opportunity cost
Not having to live in Ithaca: priceless

Glasseyes

Silver

Post by Glasseyes » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:01 pm

bonus data points:

-Cornell has a suicide bridge (for a reason)
-GULC is more likely to leave you unemployed

you decide which is worse

BmoreOrLess

Gold

Post by BmoreOrLess » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:22 pm

Anyone know if we still have access to the library/gym during bar study?

chamyleon

New

Post by chamyleon » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:28 am

Hi everyone! I feel like this question may have already been answered, but I was wondering if any current students could give some perspective on what student life is like, particularly in regards to competition and the attitudes of their fellow students? I've heard some stories about Georgetown being full of gunners/sharks, but all of this information has come from friends who have friends at Georgetown, rather than from people I know personally. I know Georgetown does not have the best reputation when it comes to collaboration and friendliness amongst the student body, but I wanted to ask you all personally how you felt about your experience.

If it gives some perspective, I'm currently choosing between UCLA and Georgetown.

Please don't quote! Thanks!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:08 am

chamyleon wrote:Hi everyone! I feel like this question may have already been answered, but I was wondering if any current students could give some perspective on what student life is like, particularly in regards to competition and the attitudes of their fellow students? I've heard some stories about Georgetown being full of gunners/sharks, but all of this information has come from friends who have friends at Georgetown, rather than from people I know personally. I know Georgetown does not have the best reputation when it comes to collaboration and friendliness amongst the student body, but I wanted to ask you all personally how you felt about your experience.

If it gives some perspective, I'm currently choosing between UCLA and Georgetown.

Please don't quote! Thanks!
GULC is full of people; no more, no less. Questions of culture are largely irrelevant because what, are you going to meet all 600 fellow students? Are you even going to meaningfully interact with a tenth of that cohort?

In any case, "full of gunners/sharks" is definitely wrong. Most people are normal chill folk, a not-insignificant number really are too stupid to be there but there they are nonetheless. Some are smart and hardworking and probably going places. Some from both the smart and dumb camps are insufferable gunners and know-it-alls, but I wouldn't even say there was even one per class.

There are enough people (at almost any school of decent size) that you can find a group of friends at your speed, and you can interact with the student body as much or as little as you like. But looking back on it from my vantage, "culture" is a hard thing to define and even harder thing to extract some kind of value insofar as it should affect your choice of school

usn26

Silver

Post by usn26 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:44 am

Any difference between a T14 is going to be negligible. I assume the difference between GULC and UCLA et al is negligible as well. Are the gunners here? Yes. Will you need to experience any more gunning than those 3-5 people in your section that always have their hand up during 1L? No.

The culture here is fine. I have a friend who went to a T2, got straight A's, had her locker broken into, and once everyone realized she had top grades no one would talk to her anymore. That's the old "cutting pages out of books in the library" culture which you won't see at a place like GULC (I assume you wouldn't at UCLA either).

Even places like Harvard with great outcomes and no grades are filled with gunners. That's just an unavoidable part of the law school experience. There might be some differences at the margins - all things being equal I'd rather be someplace like NU with an older student body - but it shouldn't be a factor in your decision making. At the very least it shouldn't dissuade you from GULC, where you are guaranteed to find a sub-community to your liking just b/c we're so big.

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:17 am

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:30 pm

chamyleon wrote:I know Georgetown does not have the best reputation when it comes to collaboration and friendliness amongst the student body
not sure where people get this sort of stuff but this is not borne out by my own experience or that of anyone I know here, also this is not the sort of thing to be basing decisions on

if you're deciding between GULC and UCLA, which have basically the same employment prospects, you should consider (1) do you want to work on the east coast (DC/NY in particular) or on the west coast (LA in particular) and (2) which school is cheaper? the rest is noise

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”